• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Connect Five

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
brankoburcksen wrote:
Further more, where are you getting these charts for the most popular light novels and projections of home video sales?

http://www27392u.sakura.ne.jp/index_news.cgi

This tracks the preorders on Amazon, and projects sales based on them. The middle row are the BD sales for this season, so thats the most important... and as you can see, Sword Art Online is currently #8 among all DVD/BDs on Amazon. Horizon 2 has jumped ahead of it for the moment, but thats likely because it goes on sale in a couple days.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
brankoburcksen wrote:
Further more, where are you getting these charts for the most popular light novels and projections of home video sales?

This tracks the preorders on Amazon, and projects sales based on them. The middle row are the BD sales for this season, so thats the most important... and as you can see, Sword Art Online is currently #8 among all DVD/BDs on Amazon. Horizon 2 has jumped ahead of it for the moment, but thats likely because it goes on sale in a couple days.

Pardon my ignorance, but does this page actually tells you how many units have been purchased? If this page only makes projections, I do not see much usefulness in it.

Isn't Oricon a better indicator for popularity because it shows what HAS ACTUALLY BEEN PURCHASED ALREADY?

Sorry if I distrust http://www27392u.sakura.ne.jp/index_news.cgi, but speculation is speculation, not cold facts.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Well duh.

Until the first volume gets released, all we have is predictions. Apart from speculation, predictions are all we possibly could have.

It's like saying that political polls are useless because they are only informed predictions of what will happen in the actual election.

There's always a margin of error, no-one is saying that stalker is 100% accurate. But you can still analyse the accuracy of past predictions and make certain assumptions for current predictions.

brankoburcksen wrote:
...so the anime's writing staff must've taken some time to work around it.

Less time than it takes to make a cup of coffee. They haven't tried to work round the problems at all.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:10 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
brankoburcksen wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but does this page actually tells you how many units have been purchased? If this page only makes projections, I do not see much usefulness in it.

Isn't Oricon a better indicator for popularity because it shows what HAS ACTUALLY BEEN PURCHASED ALREADY?

Sorry if I distrust http://www27392u.sakura.ne.jp/index_news.cgi, but speculation is speculation, not cold facts.

Its not going to be perfect for the exact amount sold, but it'll tell you what will be successful and what won't be. Something thats projected at 2k sales won't somehow become a big seller, and something projected at 20k sales won't struggle to pass the Manabi line. So if Stalker says Sword Art Online will be a major hit, thats exactly what it'll be.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
i am so happy that Horizon season 2 is doing so well. Easily my favorite show this season. i would love nothing more than for a third season to be green lit.

Last edited by getchman on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
And another thing, could you please drop the semen talk; it is kind of disgusting.

It's because it is disgusting that people want to talk about it.

well that and it's become a meme over the past 3 months lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
zensunni wrote:

I would also like to comment, to all of the people on all of the various boards that I post on who were doubtful of the Sawa x Taichi shipping: Told ya! The scenes in the past two episodes where Taichi's obvious ardor for the plucky, horse riding, sarcastic, and obviously very agile young Sawa shine through were so much fun to watch! I just hope that they carry that ball all the way to the end-zone with either a confession or some sort of indication of the two of them moving forward in life together! I know that the show hasn't been a romance, but that doesn't mean that there can't be a little taste of romance as the curtain falls!

Are you seriously suggesting that because he thinks she's hot, they should get together? Even when she's expressed precisely zero interest in him, or ever even indicated she's at all interested in a relationship? Seriously?

Hell, I can more plausibly infer she's interested in Wakana, if you honestly step back and look at how she's interacted with the various characters.

Your yuri goggles seem to block a good deal of sidelong glances, a ton of teasing, etc... I expect you will see next week. Sorry to say that you will have to satisfy your yuri wishes with wondering what might have been with the vice principle and Wakana's mom. Konatsu may lean that way, but there isn't anybody else leaning toward her.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:19 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:

Your yuri goggles seem to block a good deal of sidelong glances, a ton of teasing, etc... I expect you will see next week. Sorry to say that you will have to satisfy your yuri wishes with wondering what might have been with the vice principle and Wakana's mom. Konatsu may lean that way, but there isn't anybody else leaning toward her.

And your het goggles are ignoring that she does the exact same thing with Wakana and Konatsu.

Pulling in a sudden pairing, between ANYONE of any gender at this point would be astoundingly shitty writing. Its just not there.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
Sawa still has yet to slap Taichi on the butt from what I can remember. Seeing how she did so to both Wakana and Konatsu, and that is basically her only method of outward expression, I would be surprised if the finale ends up with her and Taichi together. That said, I really don't care. I was a bit surprised (and I could even say glad) that the whole 'Why doesn't anyone have faith in me' - 'I have faith in you' exchange between Taichi and Wein didn't cause a stir in a certain portion of the anime community.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
I found the 2012 summer anime fare almost lackluster save for 5 shows: Humanity has Declined, Space Brothers, Polar Bear Cafe, Tari Tari, and Natsuyuki Rendezvous. I'm on the electric fence about SAO, probably because I'm not a gamer and didn't spend my childhood and young adult years weaned on video games.

Humanity has Declined vacillated throughout the series between satiric greatness and poignant comedic opportunities missed. I thought the final episodes did a credible job filling in a few dark holes on character development and I dearly loved the exposure of certain human frailties kids endure trying to mimic adult societal values and mores.

Space Brothers has done a good job leading us through the interview process where an individual must learn to adapt to insular institutional ways of governance and composure on the questionable journey to insight and acceptance by peers and authority figures alike. Thanks to good scripting and plot pacing we get to learn life details and history all the potential astronaut candidates bring to JAXA's proverbial table and empathesize with their successes and/or failures. Great show!

Polar Bear Cafe always manages to tickle my funny bone with the antics of its amiable cast of characters. I'm going to miss this series when it reaches its finale. Truly an enlightened take on patron--worker interactions using a bistro and a zoo as focal points.

Tari Tari: this show has heart, I'll give it that. It almost fell into the usual plot premise of tormented middle-school kids making good on a promise and early on I almost dropped out. I have to credit the writers apt massage of character development and quirky scenes in the ensuing episodes for continually keeping my interest piqued.

Natsuyuki Rendevous: I don't understand why many viewers diss this show the way they do. I found some of the scenes reflecting the steps an individual's psyche must undergo when confronting conflicting and painful memories re loss to be quite moving. This is a topic many people will encounter in life and I have to admire the anime for the way it handled using such an experience as a focal point between the main characters in this story. The young man, in spite of his shortcomings of immaturity, did manage to instigate an emotional precipitous life change event and propel Rokka forward.

Old cherished memories do not go away easily. Given time and opportunity they will become a cerebral anchor holding an individual's emotions hostage while mimicking a resistant defense mechanism should any form of social change from an outside force become a possibility. I encountered this phenomena often in real world when dating widows, divorcees who hadn't given themselves time to heal mentally from a cataclysmic life event in their recent past. Memories are formidable; just like the recurring mind ressurection of Atsushi.

The final episode gave everyone closure. We saw a shallow man, a dubious relationship, an old memory maturate from seeds of fate like a plant and blossom. Bravo!

I thought this was a good show and I hope more anime will follow mindful there is a mature audience out here gleefully awaiting its visionary excellence.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:56 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Sawa still has yet to slap Taichi on the butt from what I can remember. Seeing how she did so to both Wakana and Konatsu, and that is basically her only method of outward expression, I would be surprised if the finale ends up with her and Taichi together. That said, I really don't care. I was a bit surprised (and I could even say glad) that the whole 'Why doesn't anyone have faith in me' - 'I have faith in you' exchange between Taichi and Wein didn't cause a stir in a certain portion of the anime community.

Konatsu/Sawa/Wakana, Taichi/Wien

Everyone wins.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:09 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Konatsu/Sawa/Wakana, Taichi/Wien

Everyone wins.

Including you and Chagen46, as you two get a Yuri and Yaoi pairing respectively.
aereus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:18 am Reply with quote
Late to the party here, but about Kokoro Connect and being let down:

Each story arc is designed to pressure some of the characters more than others, and to have some type of resolution that makes them better people, if you haven't noticed.

The first arc was designed to pressure, yet ultimately help, Iori and Yui. While also giving some inklings that all was not right with Inaba either.

The second arc ends up giving Inaba a really hard time then, and for some reason Yui again. Then we also had some friction to see that not everything was totally dandy with Aoki or Taichi. I actually liked the resolution to this arc -- that sudden scare that the man she loves may be seriously injured or dead gave her pause to finally break out of some of her problems and confess to Taichi. In some ways, she shares the same kind of White Knighting Taichi is accused of doing.

The third arc now promises to finally have some development for Aoki it seems -- as he is going to have self-doubt over if he really likes Yui for being Yui, or merely because she subconsciously reminds him of that Nishino Nana girl. Looks to be some more stuff with Iori and wondering what she was really like before as well.

I just wonder if anything serious is ever going to finally come to a head for Taichi. He seems to be the most "normal" and immune to problems through all of this. We'll see what the Michi Random arc holds for the characters whenever that comes out.
skyreno4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:57 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
i am so happy that Horizon season 2 is doing so well. Easily my favorite show this season. i would love nothing more than for a third season to be green lit.

^^ Me Too....me too, Also my favorite show this season. Second will be kokoro connect, im Hoping they announced season 3, is such a great show and Numbers looks good
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote
Regarding Uchuu Kyoudai, I checked and the anime is at the very end of volume 5 in the manga right now. I thought it was a lot further than that so I take back what I said about the pacing of the anime being the same as the manga.

Mutta's journey is still far from over and Hibito goes into space in volume 7 of the manga.

If the anime goes about 5 volumes every 26 episodes then I would say the series needs at least two 4-cour seasons. I wonder how they're going to play this out. A long series like this (that's not Jump-related) is quite rare nowadays.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12