• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New ANN Launches in a Few Hours!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tobas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:16 am Reply with quote
I know that adds have to be, and it was abaut time to change the skin, but please remember that not every visitor of ANN have abouve 2mb conection and newest PC - my equipment Wink is not that bad but I totally can't use ANN anymore! and ANN is the ONLY site that I regurally wisit where I have this much of a problem. - When I try to tipe in serching bar lets say Death note i have tu first take at least 10sec for aiming my jumping cursor on bar and then watch when every secound 2 or 3 letters apear at least 5 sec after I typed them. I know 5 or 10 sec is preatty nothing but it really hurt my eyes. I suspect that this lags are adds foult so i wantet to know are there any plans to reduce ANN eqiupment reqiuerments from users, or at least reducing number of those big and flashy banners on main site. I think that something should be possible coz comertial banners are preatty much in every site that i visit but this much of a navigation problems I have only here. PLEASE remember about your eastern europe fans where 1mb conection is wery god conection Smile
blizeH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:47 am Reply with quote
As a web designer myself; I absolutely love it! The original design was one of the main things that put me off using the site; it was just a little too cluttered. Now it's all lovely and clean Very Happy Great idea to ditch the sidebars especially in my opinion, leaves so much more room for content now and makes it a hell of a lot easier to focus on the content areas!

Fantastic job, but the only thing I'll say is that the search feature on the forum doesn't seem to work? Just times out and brings up a white screen.
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Really minor request and I think it was the same on the old ANN forums, but it is still somewhat related...

After clicking to report a post (whether you can report it or if it has already been reported,) it only gives you an option to go back to that topic. It seems to make a lot more sense to go back to the forum (for example the anime forum,) directly - or at least to have the option.

I would assume it wouldn't be too difficult to implement - just like the options after making a post (Choosing to 'View your post' or 'Return to forum')

Like I said - very minor, but just one of those little things that annoy me and it would be nice if it was fixed...

Apart from that, new site = pretty. Taking a wee bit of time to get used too, but no real complaints here.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:24 pm Reply with quote
unhealthyman wrote:
Really minor request and I think it was the same on the old ANN forums, but it is still somewhat related...

After clicking to report a post (whether you can report it or if it has already been reported,) it only gives you an option to go back to that topic. It seems to make a lot more sense to go back to the forum (for example the anime forum,) directly - or at least to have the option.

I would assume it wouldn't be too difficult to implement - just like the options after making a post (Choosing to 'View your post' or 'Return to forum')

Like I said - very minor, but just one of those little things that annoy me and it would be nice if it was fixed...

Apart from that, new site = pretty. Taking a wee bit of time to get used too, but no real complaints here.

I would like to see some sort of visual tag that says whether or not a post has been reported or not. That way we don't have to deal with trying to report it and get stuck going back to the thread.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:40 pm Reply with quote
There used to be a tag, but when they reinstalled the forums the tag was gone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sailornyanko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I swear, these flashy Flash ads and stuff take 40-50 seconds to load on my computer (let's remember that not every anime fan in the planet has a super mega jumbo powaaaaaaaa pc with Windows XP ultra supa edition with 5000 GB space, 400,000 MB RAM and an Intel chip that's so powaful, it could blow up if you just touched it).

That said, while we did get relatively faster internet a few months ago because our old internet provider closed down without telling us, it's decent for most of what I do, but it would be inhumanely slow in the minds of whoever pumped up ANN with pointless and excessive KB of data I don't care about. Let's say this: I can download a 3MB file in about 20 minutes. That's how fast this computer is. Now look at ANN. It takes a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time to load anything in the encyclopedia. Much worse, the flash ads on the screen blinks far worse than the episode of Pokémon where all those Japanese kids got epilepsy attacks. I swear my head hurts by just looking at the screen.

I don't even live in the US and hardly ever watch anime in english so the ads aren't of any usage to a person like myself. I mostly watch my anime dubbed to spanish on cable tv.

And what's with the HUGE and UBER ANNOIN'GA image bar on the left of the screen. Believe it or not; not 100% of the world population uses SUPA DUGA POWAA PC's with 1074 resolution minimum. I could use 1074 res, but I hate it for the class of pc I use (heck I STILL use Windows '98!!!). It was fine before when the bar wasn't just there.. bothering you. At least before there was actual text and content on it, not an ad of an anime I've never heard of before, isn't dubbed to spanish so ergo I'll never see it anyways. I now waste an added 15-20 seconds moving the cursor bar so that I can read what miserable small windows I now have of my new entries to the enclyclopedia.

Also, I have to click EVERY button twice to add anything. That takes away another 15 seconds. Add 50+15+15 times 300 new entries. That's a lot of a waste of my short (and soon to end) vacations. I used to use ANN on my home pc because I gained time by not having to refresh everything, now I just waste time fiddling with exagerratedly slow and tedious loading times.

I think I'll use my free time for other things. Don't expect 900 entires per month like I used to. I'm worried I'll get convulsive seizures everytime I visit ANN.

Such a shame.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:41 am Reply with quote
Hi Nyanko,

The slowness is more due to load on our server than bandwdith. Believe it or not, but the new layout is much less bandwidth intensive.

Unfortunately it's harder on our servers, so we're shoring them up with some additions in the next week or so.

We've also already mentionned a few times (But I can't blame you for not reading through every post in this thread), that a layout version of the site designed for people who run resolutions lower than 1024 is in the works. I can honestly say that it will be ready before the end of January.

As for the ads, what can I say, they're the same flash ads that have always been on the site...

I'm sorry you're dissapointed with the new layout, most people seem to like it, but there will always be those who don't. They say you can't please everyone, but we're going to try to please as many of you as we can.

Regards,

Christopher Macdonald
Editor in Chief
Anime News Network
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:41 am Reply with quote
While I do miss the old layout, I don't mind the new one. It's always good to have a change once in a while.

I do have one question though. How come news posts no longer link to anime entries in the encyclopedia that pertain to that news post?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
I do have one question though. How come news posts no longer link to anime entries in the encyclopedia that pertain to that
news post?

Dan is re-doing the Greenlink system in order to minimize the number of false positives that it created.

We'll also be adding an improved keyword feature tot he articles soon.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9