• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Getsuga311

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Arsenette wrote:
Sorry for resurrecting this thread simply because I just saw it last night in a marathon (CR had a T'shirt special (those daily things) and it mentioned it was from this... didn't even know it existed until I did research on the shirt).. does anyone have ANY information if this will ever see the light of day in the USA?

i can't recall anyone announcing any license for AnoHana, so as of yet it isn't coming to the US, although given how highly people speak of it and how much it was enjoyed it might well get licensed in the future, although thats just speculation on my part
Akito Kinomoto

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is what happens when the emotion a show packs is underminded by the very reason it starts. AnoHana is ultimately disappointing and something I'd rather forget. More thoughts below...
---
AnoHana is a lite-fantasy drama about the hardships of the death of a friend, growing up and drifting apart, and regaining those lost bonds. A heartwarming story of loss and gain, love and friendship, and life and death. With a set-up as beautifully poignant as this, what could possibly go wrong with the show’s actual quality?

Apparently a Hell of a whole lot.

But let’s start with the good. The character interactions between everyone as –friends- were actually very nice to watch. Not because they were endearing but because it was anything but; that incredibly awkward feeling between people who haven’t met in a long time is conveyed so well when they’re all interacting as –friends- (more on this later). The show also packs a strong emotional punch and becomes a stand-in for how all of the characters are feeling. AnoHana is excellent in that regard.

That is, until you start looking at why everyone is becoming so emotional in the first place.

Most of the show’s story revolves around the ghost of Meiko Honma coming back after dying in a tragic accident 10 years ago to have her wish granted. The only problem is Jinta Yadomi is the only one who can see her, meaning he’s running around trying to grant her wish, whatever it might be, while his (former) friends question what exactly is wrong with Jinta when he’s seemingly interacting with nothing and talking to himself. The tension toward his friends rises because Jinta can’t expect them to accept their best friend is back from the grave. This is despite how Meiko can –interact with the objects around her-. Yup. Avoiding all of this drama is as simple as Meiko picking up an object in the presence of her friends and it’s further exacerbated by how the show points this out. Oddly enough I wouldn’t have noticed if the show –didn’t- point this out; failed damage control much?

Now remember what I said earlier about the interactions between everyone as –friends- being very good? Well, the show also has interactions between the characters in a web of –romance-. Every guy who knew Meiko was in love with her and every girl that knew Meiko was jealous of her. 10 years prior to the show, this makes sense. What doesn’t make sense is how all of the characters feelings toward Meiko remain largely unchanged even 10 years after her death. No matter how strongly one feels toward someone or how devastated they are after their death, it is something that eventually heals with time and certainly should only be an occasional memory after 10 years. But nope. Everyone is still devastated over Meiko’s death because lolanime. The heavy themes in AnoHana require a realistic touch but instead they get a bombastic slam.

If you’re looking for an anime with an emotional punch, AnoHana can certainly deliver. I found myself choking on my emotions despite how a lot of things were messed up. And while I normally don’t disregard my feelings in an anime like this over some irrelevant plot points, it’s when those plot points actually matter to the emotions that I feel cheated. Jinta and company may have remembered the name of the flower they saw that day but this is one show I’d rather forget.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:23 am Reply with quote
Akito Kinomoto wrote:
. AnoHana is ultimately disappointing and something I'd rather forget.

........I don't think I could possibly disagree with you more. =_=

Quote:
No matter how strongly one feels toward someone or how devastated they are after their death, it is something that eventually heals with time and certainly should only be an occasional memory after 10 years.

Wrong.
The whole reason the characters couldn't move on from Menma's death is nobody had closure.
I thought that was very obvious. And time alone cannot cure everything....especially if you haven't properly dealt with said problems.
Have you not heard the term "skeleton in the closet" or "personal demons"? That's what this was to everyone in AnoHana because they ALL felt guilty, like "oh if only I hadn't acted that way. It's all my fault".
And guilt can last a VERY long time....especially over something like indirectly causing a death of a friend or loved one.
You have no idea. But I know people in the real world who have emotionally tortured themselves over this kind of thing.
Trust me, AnoHana is a lot less "unrealistic" than you claim it to be.

Also, Poppo was not in love with Menma so no, it was not "every guy who knew her" either. Please at least get your facts straight. :p But six-year-old Poppo did spoiler[see the dead body of his childhood friend lying in a creek.] I'm no expert on child psychology but I do not think something that traumatizing can simply go away with the passage of time. I had traumatic experiences in a pool 24 years ago and I STILL will not go underwater on my free will.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
So I saw the movie today. The summary promoting the movie is actually false. I was expecting to see a recap of the series from Menma's POV with a new epilogue, but the entire thing was the epilogue.

A year after the TV series the living Peace Busters gather together to burn letters to Menma in hopes of reaching her. As we see where they are now, they reflect back on the events of the show.

It's a nice film so I recommend it to those who like the show. Good to see them all still friends. I was hoping for something more concrete on the Jinta/Naruko front, though Anime catgrin + sweatdrop My ideal ending would definitely be spoiler[Menma being reincarnated as their kid.]

There were maybe like 10 other people in my theater. Sadly they didn't have any of those extra gifts at the ticket desk.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Really? Damn. I already have tickets for the movie (I'm going today) and I convinced my sister to come with me even if she hadn't watched the series because the summary said it was going to be a retelling. Is it at least understandable for someone not familiar with the original?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, no. The flashbacks won't have much context if you haven't seen the show.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Damn, that sucks. I suppose it's good for me since it's all new content (as opposed to the first two Madoka movies), but I wish I'd known it was going to be like that so I'd sit my sister to watch the show. All that's left is to hope that the 10 minute summary of the show I'll give her will cause the same emotional impact as the original 11 episodes did Confused
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's not all new content. There is plenty of that but most of it is essentially a clip show.

If nothing else, your sister can admire how pretty it is Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
It's really such a waste to resurrect a two year old thread just to complain. Sad

Personally, I just saw this last month though so I'm also a late-comer. I liked it a lot except that spoiler[I would have liked it more if we had gotten more of the aftermath. For instance I wanted to know if anything resulted from certain characters confessing their love. There had to have been some awkwardness to deal with once everyone's cards were on the table.]

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie when it's released on disc.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga--
Wait, you saw the movie today in Metropolitan Detroit?! WHERE???!!!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I saw it on this side of the border. My local Silver City always gets these anime movie showings.
dlm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Unfortunately, no. The flashbacks won't have much context if you haven't seen the show.

This. I saw it with someone who hadn't seen the series yet and, while she admitted to mostly figuring out what was going on, she had a lot of questions like "What was up with the shoe in the river?".

The movie made sense, IMO, only if you'd seen the series. There were a lot of (new) scenes that only made sense in the context of the TV series, like Menma's brother's height and his mother's attitude in the scene she was in at the end. Without the proper context, it was just idle chatter.

I still would recommend the movie to anyone who has seen the series. And has a large stock of Kleenex. I think I started crying when... oh, about the first scene.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I actually missed the first few seconds of the movie. Did it just start with Jinta carrying Menma through the streets?
dlm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Yes.

Actually, it started with the "Aniplex" soundbite but with a black screen instead of the graphic, then you hear panting, then the scene opens up to Jin-tan running with Menma.

"Oh good, it's taking off where the series ended," he optimistically thought. NOPE Smile
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:51 am Reply with quote
dlm wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

This. I saw it with someone who hadn't seen the series yet and, while she admitted to mostly figuring out what was going on, she had a lot of questions like "What was up with the shoe in the river?".

The movie made sense, IMO, only if you'd seen the series. There were a lot of (new) scenes that only made sense in the context of the TV series, like Menma's brother's height and his mother's attitude in the scene she was in at the end. Without the proper context, it was just idle chatter.

I still would recommend the movie to anyone who has seen the series. And has a large stock of Kleenex. I think I started crying when... oh, about the first scene.

Well, I did take my sister and briefly explained the story to her on our way to the theater and she really enjoyed it. Since I mentioned the shoe scene in my retelling, she didn't even ask about it. And both of us (along with probably every other person in the room) bawled our eyes out during the entire 90ish minutes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11