• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: ANN 5.0

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:39 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Different skins can be found under My ANN -> Change skin. It is possible to get rid of the white.

I did that, but the changes don't stick. Still bugs that need to be worked out.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:14 am Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that unless you're a subscriber, they're not going to spend much time catering to people who want to use AdBlock...

Whether they want to do something about it is up to them. I don't use the menus much so it wouldn't bother me. I was just clicking around and am reporting what happened, that's all.
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:26 am Reply with quote
It's needs more Snagglepuss,Even
Urizithar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:56 am Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
dlm wrote:
Kikaioh wrote:

I think some of the initial backlash will die down as people get used to the changes.

A lot of that is just people no longer visiting the site.

No one is going to keep having a temper tantrum about it to that extent.

Well, I no longer use FB cause of that so... Sometimes it happens.
Leebo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:49 am Reply with quote
Urizithar wrote:

That seems pretty silly to me. The reason anyone would use FB is because of the other people on it... not the design. To be fair, I'm only a casual FB user, but the hand-wringing about the design is exactly the kind of Internet tantrum I don't get.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:02 am Reply with quote
Its not like the visual style of something thats interacted with primarily on a visual level is at all important.
Leebo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:06 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Its not like the visual style of something thats interacted with primarily on a visual level is at all important.

It's not unimportant... but people are biased to what they're used to. The current design of [insert website] isn't perfect just because it's what you're used to seeing every day, and giving it a facelift usually doesn't impact the actual usability at all. If you visit websites to use them rather than just admire their appearance, usability would be the determining factor in whether you continue to use them.
Urizithar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:11 am Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
Urizithar wrote:

That seems pretty silly to me. The reason anyone would use FB is because of the other people on it... not the design. To be fair, I'm only a casual FB user, but the hand-wringing about the design is exactly the kind of Internet tantrum I don't get.

I was casual user as well. It was kind of usefull, easy to manage and much less cluttered (both spam and design) in the old days. Now it doesn't fit my need so I don't use it any more and changes in the site are half of the reason behind it.

If there is no alternative I will somehow get used to it but that's not a case nowadays. I want a site that fits my need, is fast and manageable. If there is more problems than benefits I won't force myself to stick with it. I will give some time to ANN and wait for bugfixes and changes but I don't like the site the way it is now. I will look around for something that's better (at least for me). Plain and simple.

Also I have seen changes that right from the start seemed good for me. It's not like I hate it without reasons just because it's new.

Last edited by Urizithar on Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:12 am Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
Urizithar wrote:

Livejournal, about 2 years ago, had a mass exodus of at least a few hundred people, and that's just what I know of. It was probably closer to a thousand or more, and most had multiple journals that they paid money to get more icons for and such (I myself have somewhere around 50 or so journals). The reason? A new design went up, there was too much white space, people complained about getting migraines, and the response from both staff and other users was "you'll get used to it, we're not changing back". It was a fight even to get them to allow older styles again, and it was too little, too late, for the largest group of dedicated users.

I'm sure the parallels can be seen.
Leebo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:14 am Reply with quote
They already said they're making a new skin that will be 5.0 compatible and resemble the 4.0 design.

I guess I'm just unusually easy-going? This stuff does not matter to me in the least when it comes to reading ANN articles. It's all the same content.

Dessa wrote:
A new design went up, there was too much white space, people complained about getting migraines, and the response from both staff and other users was "you'll get used to it, we're not changing back". It was a fight even to get them to allow older styles again, and it was too little, too late, for the largest group of dedicated users.

I'm sure the parallels can be seen.

Migraines from blank space? -_-

There isn't even much blank space on the ANN front page or article pages that I've seen. I don't know what people mean by that.

The forum has an option to fill the page width.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Tried all the layout options and really didn't find one I really liked like 4.0. Wish there was an option in the survey that said "didn't like any of the layout options."
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote
What about Chat having bottom of article. So We don't click go to forum ,even.
TheSeventhSense

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I want 4.0 back. I shouldn't have to install all these plug-ins/switch my skin/do all this other stuff to make the site look tolerable. Also, you got rid of "Random Fun", and the home page takes forever to load on anything but a high-speed state-of-the-art computer. Do not want.

I'm going over to my grandmother's soon so I'll be able to test the site on Safari and Chrome with AdBlock and see if they look any better then Internet Explorer 9.

Last edited by TheSeventhSense on Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leebo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
TheSeventhSense wrote:
I want 4.0 back. I shouldn't have to install all these plug-ins/switch my skin/do all this other stuff to make the site look tolerable. Also, you got rid of "Random Fun", and the home page takes forever to load on anything but a high-speed state-of-the-art computer. Do not want.

What plug-ins is anyone recommending?
TheSeventhSense

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
TheSeventhSense wrote:

What plug-ins is anyone recommending?

Someone mentioned a Firefox plugin where you block certain parts of the website from showing up on page 4 or so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11