• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Promised Neverland

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vikkio92

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's such a powerful scene that it almost justifies the silly plot device of Ray not having infantile amnesia.

I genuinely have no idea what James has against this. I always thought it was a pretty interesting and relatively original way of giving Ray an edge. Sure, there were other ways of achieving the same objective story-wise, but I really don't think it's as bad as these weekly reviews have made it out to be.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:23 am Reply with quote
Guess the big thing to wonder about at the start of the 2nd Season, is the fate of Isabella. I have a feeling demons or monsters don't take big time failures from their human vassals happily.

And yes, the actual fate of Norman. A fate worse than being eaten as dinner, or a switch from protagonist to antagonist.

But as said in the final episode review and in the comments; they nailed the ending. Couldn't ask for a better ending than this.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I was sure to keeping the experience fresh for me, not reading any of the manga, and I ended up immensely satisfied with The Promised Neverland. It's great that the series has had a strong appeal to newcomers and series veterans alike, and it's been enjoyable reading through these detailed reviews week to week.

Still, a thing is nagging at me.
Quote:
Emma's beat is the quieter and more effective one. Isabella, having scaled the wall once before as a child, is able to make it to the escape point just as Emma is about to depart for good. For a show that has been all about confrontational climaxes and battles of will, The Promised Neverland makes the brilliant choice to have Emma give Isabella no parting words whatsoever. In one of the few instances of internal monologue we've gotten all season, Emma instead bids one final goodbye to the fiery remains of the home she once loved so much. She offers Isabella nothing more than a glare of unwavering resentment, and then Emma and the children disappear from Isabella's care for good.

Looking at the bolded parts in James' review, not enough credit is being given to how Emma actually interacted with Isabella. Not only is there that glare, but Emma did say "Goodbye.... Mom" at around the 13:09 mark of Episode 12, after saying goodbye to the house. Did Emma not say goodbye in the manga or something? Regardless, I thought a clearly spoken goodbye was well-deserved for this scene; between her stare and her words of farewell, Emma not only offered stark judgment of Isabella with her expression, but also at least an acknowledgment of Isabella as "Mom." For all the pain and deceit that Isabella put our protagonists through, for all she sacrificed of herself to the world's system, she too offered some genuine love and helped facilitate the household that was Emma's "family." A "Goodbye" was the least Isabella deserved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:11 am Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
Hey, does anyone who's read ahead in the manga know if Norman is actually dead?

spoiler[Norman is alive and well in the manga. However, he’s changed. He wants to kill all the demons. Emma, after her group encountered 2 humanoid demons that didn’t need to eat human flesh to retain their shape and intellect, wants to save both the demons and the cattle children.]
Sekaro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:48 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
MidoriUma wrote:
Hey, does anyone who's read ahead in the manga know if Norman is actually dead?

spoiler[Norman is alive and well in the manga. However, he’s changed. He wants to kill all the demons. Emma, after her group encountered 2 humanoid demons that didn’t need to eat human flesh to retain their shape and intellect, wants to save both the demons and the cattle children.]

Wow you didn't hold back at all, did you? I would have just told him to go read the manga for himself Laughing
GodEmperorLeto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:11 pm Reply with quote
The anime did a fantastic job with this moment showing how tragic Isabella is as well. It was so heartbreaking.
#Synaesthesia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:55 pm Reply with quote
As soon as I heard there was going to be one, I waited for the dub to come out to watch this. I got up to ep 7 and I just couldn't wait any longer, so I watched the last 4 eps of the sub. Holy shit those last few eps really got me in the feels Crying or Very sad Especially when spoiler[ Rey asked "why did you give birth to me?" ]

What an amazing show! I give it a 9/10. Really my only problems with it are some misplaced music cues, and the character designs are a tad silly looking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10