• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking the other night about Momiji and his family situation and I wanted to know what other Fruits Basket fans thought about the question that came to me. I'll spoiler tag it just to be extra careful. spoiler[Do you think that Momiji's Mother would ever remember him? After all, her memories are only repressed, not erased (unless I remember incorrectly about Hatori's skill, which I hope I don't). And what would happen if she did? Would it be a happy thing, or a sad thing? Even though the curse is lifted, I'm not so sure that would be such a happy thing. She might feel horribly guilty that she chose to forget her own son.]
suna_suna

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:53 pm Reply with quote
or spoiler[she might relapse into the hatred that drove Hatori to erase her memories in the first place. she would not only remember that he is her son, but she would also remember the curse. several parents of the zodiac have shown at least contempt for their child, but Momiji's mother was a wreck. i don't think she was eating at all and it would have driven her possibly insane. for the family to be happy, she would need to remember the fact that she has a son, but remember nothing about the curse. ]

here's a questionspoiler[do you feel that Kyo's mother loved him, but hated what the monster that he became when the beads were removed, or do you think that she was only lying to kyo and herself, trying to convince herself that she loved him, untill the anguish drove her to suicide.]

i hope you all get what i mean, i'm really bad at wording things like that.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:14 pm Reply with quote
This may seem harsh or bad of me to say but I don't think that Momiji's mother spoiler[shouldn't remember him. How would they explain the fact that he wasn't anywhere near her for all of those years. She's a fragile person but I think she would wonder about that and it would cause her pain. Especially since I think she would try to figure out why Momiji wasn't with her and if she discovered that she'd rejected him because he was a "monster," it would just destroy her.]

As for suna_suna'squestion...spoiler[I don't think that she loved him after she found out that he was the Cat. She was lying to herself and to Kyo when she said that she loved him and that she loved him so much she didn't want others to be near him. She hated him. She hated the fact that he was the Cat. Otherwise, she wouldn't have checked his wrist constantly to see if the prayer beads were still on.]
suna_suna

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:12 pm Reply with quote
first, you meant that you don't think she spoiler[SHOULD remember him right] not to be disrespectful.

and secondspoiler[even if Kyo's mother hated him for being the cat, isn't it still possible that she loved him even a little for being her son. i don't think that being the cat is the real reason she hated him anyway. i think it was the dishonor that his existence brought to her.]
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:15 pm Reply with quote
On the matter in question, I think spoiler[Kyo's mother did in fact care about him. Think about it for a moment, the cat is always isolated eventually and clearly there is no actual requirement that any parents of Zodiac members actually take care of them. There are financial incentives, but clearly hate has overwhelmed several of the parents enough to abandon their children entirely, such as with Momiji and Rin. Kyo's mother kept him close but isolated, monitored his beads, I think out of fear of the cat monster itself while wanting to do her best for him.]

I think spoiler[she did care about Kyo but that she feared the cat more. In the end, the strain of trying to be a mother to a monster got to her. At least, that's what I think. It seemed like she didn't reject Kyo but tried to protect him, but because she was trying to protect him from a part of himself, ultimately she realized that there was nothing she could actually do. At least from what I remember reading, the actual details of her suicide haven't been clearly stated.]

Everyone blames spoiler[Kyo, but they do so because he's the cat rather than because Kyo's mother specifically stated he was the cause.]

Anyway, this is just my take. Maybe I'm reading more noble emotion in than I should, spoiler[but if Kyo's mother hated Kyo so much, why kill herself? Rin's parents, Momiji's mother, they directed the hate outward. The closest emotional appearance I've seen to how Kyo's mother was portrayed, at least in my opinion, is Kisa's mother when she's first seen when she's nearing the limit of her ability to deal with Kisa's silence and running away.]

Oh, sorry my post looks like it went through a CIA censor. Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Kyo's mother spoiler[committed suicide by jumping in front of an oncoming train at the train station (wherever that would have been). Kyo's father couldn't accept the fact that she did that and used Kyo as a scapegoat saying that he killed her, not that she killed herself.]
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:34 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Kyo's mother spoiler[committed suicide by jumping in front of an oncoming train at the train station (wherever that would have been). Kyo's father couldn't accept the fact that she did that and used Kyo as a scapegoat saying that he killed her, not that she killed herself.]
So that's what happened. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but I never could quite figure out how that event went down. What volume did they explain it fully in?
suna_suna

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:54 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
So that's what happened. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but I never could quite figure out how that event went down. What volume did they explain it fully in?

i think it was in 6, when Kazuma is talking to Tohru after that night.
murph76

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Just because I'm curious -- and I haven't heard an update in a while -- are we going to start another regular, organized discussion of Fruits Basket soon? I know fighterholic mentioned something about this a while ago, but I haven't heard any news.

I know I've been an infrequent participant these past few months. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop I was hoping with new topics to be a little more regular.

Lydia, fighter, (anyone, anyone, Bueller?), what's the plan now?

-Murph
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Welcome back Murph!

I'm not sure what we are going to do next myself. At this moment we seem to be waiting for the next volume to come out. But, as always, if someone has a question, I'm sure all of us will try to answer it!
murph76

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I'm not sure what we are going to do next myself. At this moment we seem to be waiting for the next volume to come out. But, as always, if someone has a question, I'm sure all of us will try to answer it!

Well, maybe in addition to that we could start brainstorming ways to keep the discussion alive. I didn't see a listing for the next volume on Amazon, so it's probably still a couple months from being released. I'd hate to see the discussion languish until then.

Just a thought.

-Murph
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:14 am Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

Well, maybe in addition to that we could start brainstorming ways to keep the discussion alive. I didn't see a listing for the next volume on Amazon, so it's probably still a couple months from being released. I'd hate to see the discussion languish until then.

Just a thought.

-Murph

I'm brain-dead right now. I'm recovering from working Retail Christmas...and now going straight into inventory.

If you come up with something...run with it!
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:22 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I'm recovering from working Retail Christmas...and now going straight into inventory.

Ugh, sorry to hear that! I spent 5 or 6 years working retail through college and hated it with a passion. I don't know how you did it for 20 years now.

I'll think about it. However, I'd like the other regulars (and semi-regulars like me lately) to have input as well. Fighter, Richard J. anyone else who wants to, chime in!

-Murph
suna_suna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:57 am Reply with quote
i really wish i could have been a part of this thread for the whole duration, but i didn't really start to love furuba untill recently. and i'd hate to see such a thread die after i just discovered it.

i forget who thought of it, but someone mentioned a discussion of character relationships. in other words, how two (or more) characters act and react to each other. and also perhaps how the personaltiies of these characters allow the others to grow, or the differences between them allowing the reader to delve deeper into their lives and feelings.

for example, and i won't go with an obvious one, Hatori and Shigure. we know that they grew up together, with Ayame, and this seems to lend itself into a greater understanding between the two. Hatori is a cool, composed one and Shigure is the wildcat, anmd they do say opposites attract. but they both can understand the other's feelings in the present. Hatori knows how
spoiler[Shigure feels about Akito, and he says that he will not oppose him. ] Hatori knows what Shigure is willing to do to get what he wants, and i don't think he enjoys it, but nevertheless, he is willing to at least support what he is trying to accomplish.

Shigure, on the other hand, almost seems omniscient in his perspective of Hatori's feelingsspoiler[and Mayu's for that matter, as he was able to see how she felt about him right away. ] he can see the pain and anguish Hatori went through when he spoiler[lost Kana] and, i think, he is trying to heal that wound when he spoiler[brings Hatori and Mayu together ]

forgive me for this desperate attempt to keep this thread alive, but who knows, this could spark another 100 pages of furuba
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quote
You have to say this for Hatori - the man has the patience of a Saint! An absolute SAINT!

How else would he deal with two extreme personalites like Ayame and Shigure. But have you noticed that while Hatori will do things like give Shigure spoiler[painful shots], he has never spoiler[hurt] Ayame. I think that it is because Ayame is very open and honest with himself and everyone...perhaps too much but still. Shigure...well, Shigure hides things from people. And what he is doing is spoiler[huring people...including himself.] While Hatori won't stop him, the ocassional spoiler[hurt/pains] he gives Shigure are perhaps punishment for going too, too far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 99 of 170