• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: S'More Ent. Acknowledges Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo Packaging Error

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote
Send your complaints here.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:27 am Reply with quote
Not gonna lie, I'm still totally gonna buy this.

It's kinda like some weird reverse Sentai release now, which seems hilarious given the context of the show.

Now it's alienating the other side of anime fandom.

Also, I guess it also alienates the deaf audience, which is slightly less funny.

ShanaFan852 wrote:
I still don't find this a legit reason as to why they couldn't add subtitles. It's not like it costs OVER $9,000 to sub a single episode. As PurpleWarrior said, DVD sales aren't THAT low.

True, but they're not releasing it 76 DVDs at a time with only one episode on them. Besides for subtitling they'd likely need a translator, a scriptwriter, a proofreader (a better one), someone to time and place them, and someone to encode them all.

So, I expect it mayhaps could get pricey.

EDIT: Wait, there is a script. my response is invalid.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:27 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
The only question now is whether they are liars or simply woefully incompetent.

As I said in another thread, I'm going with woefully incompetent, simply because in this Age of Internet and Social Media I just can't believe a company would try to pull a fast one like this and think they'd get away with it.
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:59 am Reply with quote
Unfortunate but its their first release and with a dub its not the end of the world.

More importantly i think is that if they say producing subtitles is too expensive a risk then what can we expect this company to ever release? I mean BoBo has a full script so if it is too expensive to encode then whats the point in them licensing Anime?

Please god dont let GE999 have somehting mad like PDF scripts or something. That surely couldnt happen right? RIGHT!?

probably not tbh.

I'm now wishing Discotek just picked this up. I mean they now have all 3 movies and Captain Harlock. WHY OH WHY didn't they just pick up GE999 TV. SERIOUSLY!?!?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:24 am Reply with quote
I could be wrong, but from what I understand S'mores is Discotek; it's a differently named line within the same company.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:52 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I could be wrong, but from what I understand S'mores is Discotek; it's a differently named line within the same company.

Sorry B-... "Eastern Star" is Discotek's sub-imprint.
This is a new company by the guy who used to run Rhino Ent.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:53 am Reply with quote
Interesting. On the internet, I see people translating anime all the time, and I don't see them bitching about costs to do it.

Perhaps S'more should contact them for some assistance. I think the most "payment" they'd have to dish out is credits.

Twisted Evil
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Episodes are viewable in English language or in Japanese with English sub-titles.

Ok, at first I was trusting and sympathized with their incompetence. But now, after seeing this still on their own website?!?!, I'm not convinced.

It's starting to look like the authors forgot to include the sub tracks, and S'more doesn't want to fork over the cash to replace the discs. So that means they will intentionally take out the subs for the second boxset to cover their lie....Really S'more? Your first release?

http://smoreent.com/buy-dvd-cd/product_info.php?cPath=3_49&products_id=151

Edit: And, just in case they take it down and try to say it wasn't there...

Last edited by MrHatandClogs on Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:09 am; edited 4 times in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:04 am Reply with quote
Oh man, that is hilarious.

Maybe "Japanese with accompanied PDF script" doesn't sound as nice.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:12 am Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Sorry B-... "Eastern Star" is Discotek's sub-imprint.

Ah, thanks for the info. I knew I should have fact-checked, first. Damn my habitual laziness.
Bamble

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:48 am Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:

Yeah, that's the part of this that really makes me worried for Galaxy Express 999.

I still remember the appalling Transformers releases Rhino did a few years ago, complete with episode footage culled from before the animators did any re-takes (so they were more error-laden than when they actually aired), and the exceptionally lousy fake 5.1 soundtracks.

Those 5.1 tracks were supposed to be accompanied by the original soundtracks on the second audio track, yet even after complaints about the early DVD sets, the third set still managed to completely exclude the original audio.

Not listening to the customer base seems to be an unwelcome trait that has now passed over to S'More. GE999 is a classic and deserves a better standard of QC that Bobobo sadly didn't get.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:12 am Reply with quote
blaizevincent wrote:
Please god don't let GE999 have somehting mad like PDF scripts or something. That surely couldnt happen right? RIGHT!

That's what I'm most worried about.
TC-man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quote
If I were the people who bought or ordered the Bobobo DVD box set, then I would just return it and get my money back. This is still false advertisement! Just like what MrHatandClogs earlier said, the S'More Ent. site still says "viewable in English language or in Japanese with English sub-titles.; it does not look like they really want to do something about it, not correcting their own site, what they are now doing is just telling you not to sue them and not to return the DVD box set to get your money back. Sorry, it really feels like S'More Ent. tried to blame Toei for the situation too: "Toei couldn't do it, that's why couldn't do it too".

To me it's not a complete product anymore, reduce the price or give the people their money back.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:05 am Reply with quote
My heart goes out to all those people that got ripped off buying S'mores Bobobo release. I just hope they do better on their Galaxy Express 999 release, or I may have to go kick some ***! Cool Laughing
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:28 am Reply with quote
A terribly inauspicious start; I too am now a little worried about Galaxy Express 999. I don't really doubt that they'd fail to offer a subtitle track for that as no English dub exists, but the whole series has been offered streaming with subtitles, but if they don't improve their quality control and operations, I worry that something else could go wrong.

I suspect that S'More Entertainment, as a small, new company in a weak market, might be running on really thin financial ice and don't entirely understand their audience. If they have a tiny pocketbook and didn't realize that omitting subtitles would be a rather grave faux pas in anime, they might have thought that it was an acceptable way to save money. That might even be true for a general audience, who probably don't care about something they're unlikely to ever use, but it's clearly unacceptable to anime fans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4