• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: James Cameron to Focus on Avatar Sequels, Documentaries

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:37 am Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Ladies and gentleman, the new George Lucas.

Too soon!

Not until the re-edits! Laughing

Charred Knight wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Given that it will take 4-5 years between films, Cameron will die before Battle Angel, or forget that it exists because of early onset alzheimer's. Yes, this is a pessimistic view, but it's hard to not be upset when someone who has the power to make an actual good adaptation dicks around and then decides to keep directing Pocahontas in Space. He certainly doesn't need the money, and Avatar does not need sequels.

The Director who created Terminator and Aliens is gone, his not coming back, and his certainly not making Battle Angel Alita. The current Cameron would butcher the story.

His life passion is all about eco now, like Miyazaki. Besides the money, that's why he's making the sequels, to hammer that point. Laughing

TitanXL wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I wish anime could get the same treatment Marvel and DC comics have been getting for the last few years

You must really hate anime to say something like this.

And the ironic thing is I'm sure a lot of comic fans are saying the opposite.

Not after The Avengers! Laughing

egoist wrote:

Considering that he's a smart man he should be more than aware that the story in Avatar has been dumbed down in many levels to reach as much of an audience as possible around the globe.

Any success is good success, just like any anime success is good success! Laughing
sburstall

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:35 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I wish anime could get the same treatment Marvel and DC comics have been getting for the last few years

You must really hate anime to say something like this.

And the ironic thing is I'm sure a lot of comic fans are saying the opposite.

You should know by now that there is a vast difference between US comic books and mangas. Marvel and DC keep rebooting and retconning their characters, as well as each company owning the characters. It would be hard-pressed to find a animated storyline taken off a Marvel/DC storyline. At best we get an episode or two based off the storyline (do you know many times "Days of Future Past" or the Phoenix saga been butchered?
With anime we fans want them to be as close to the manga as possible, with some liberties due to time constraints.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:20 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
it's hard to not be upset

It's really easy, actually!

It's more of a long term disappoint that we all knew was going to come, and how jealous I am that comic books can get really kickass liveaction films and manga adaptions never will unless it's low budget. But we already know anime will never reach the level of popular acceptance than video games and comic books have, not like we're persecuted against, it's more like on the level of D&D or Warhammer with the following but never being mainstream.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quote
Can we say that it is now confirmed that Cameron will never make Battle Angel Alita? If so, good because after hearing that he is now only making sequels to Avatar, let's hope that someday someone else will do it instead.

Anyways, after watching the brilliantly epic crossover movie The Avengers, I want Joss Whedon to go direct FMA! He's perfect for it! Also, if he's available to do Bleach, at least he will know how to balance character screen time better than Kubo and unlike him, he's not afraid to kill off popular characters and for that Whedon, you have my support!
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yes, this is a pessimistic view, but it's hard to not be upset when someone who has the power to make an actual good adaptation dicks around and then decides to keep directing Pocahontas in Space. He certainly doesn't need the money, and Avatar does not need sequels.

What about Leprechaun 4: In Space? That film needs sequels.

I forget, was he in the hood before or after he was in space?
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
If the numerology is to be believed, he was to the hood AND back again after the space adventure. However, when you consider the pathos and chronological confusion, you can view the Leprechaun series as an alternate take on Tezuka's Pheonix. It makes total sense: the 90s, an antihero, the immorality of immortality, etc. But that's only one interpretation. They're really Oshii that way.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm in the “Avatar” business. Period. That's it.

Perhaps he needs the money. One does not expect that deep ocean exploration is the cheapest of avocations.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
About the only thing that Cameron wouldn't be able to afford at this point is a Death Star.
V1046-R

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Although I am not really much a fan of Avatar, I agree he should pursue his own ideas and see where that takes him. I think some great stories can still be told from that world. I will be interested to see what comes out of it.

As far as American live action adaptations of manga or anime...I personally think a good anime is preferable to any live action movies, so meh, don't really care about these kinds of projects being shelved. I don't watch anime as a substitute for anything else, but rather think of it as the best form of entertainment.
Goggen

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
Can we say that it is now confirmed that Cameron will never make Battle Angel Alita?

Not according to the man himself...
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
sburstall wrote:
You should know by now that there is a vast difference between US comic books and mangas. Marvel and DC keep rebooting and retconning their characters, as well as each company owning the characters. It would be hard-pressed to find a animated storyline taken off a Marvel/DC storyline. At best we get an episode or two based off the storyline (do you know many times "Days of Future Past" or the Phoenix saga been butchered?
With anime we fans want them to be as close to the manga as possible, with some liberties due to time constraints.

I was thinking more of all the comic fans I see who want direct, not dumbed down animated adaptions. Not 2 hour live-action movies. Like all those BTAS fanboys who hate Nolans version. Or who hate Tobey McGuire Spider-Man and the live-action X-Men stuff.

It's just ironic there's people do want to see a 2 hour dumbed down live action film of One Piece or Naruto or Dragonball and view that as a superior method of trating these comic stories as opposed to 1:1 mimics-the-style-of-the-manga-perfectly-and-follows-the-story anime series we got. A limited live-action product is never going capture a comic better than animation could. Afterall, its artists who create these words to begin with, not Hollywood actors. People should be thankful these movies aren't all we get when companies want to adapt a popular manga, and the logic behind people upset we don't get to see more Hollywood adaptions eludes me.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Ladies and gentleman, the new George Lucas.

Too soon!

Yes, James Cameron has yet to rape our collective childhood with an Alien prequel-trilogy featuring Jar-Jar Binks. Just a matter of time though.

If I was a fan of Battle Angel Alita I'd be pretty pissed off, but I've never read it so I'm not. However I am annoyed that he is refusing to let someone else have a crack at adapting it. Granted, he is one of the few people who could organise a decent budget for it. But if it never gets made in the first place then what's the point of being able to raise lots of money, money that will not be spent?
Anymouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I was thinking more of all the comic fans I see who want direct, not dumbed down animated adaptions. Not 2 hour live-action movies.
I imagine there is a market for that. But the problem is it may be about the size of the market for Persepolis.

If the numerology is to be believed, he was to the hood AND back again after the space adventure. However, when you consider the pathos and chronological confusion, you can view the Leprechaun series as an alternate take on Tezuka's Pheonix. It makes total sense: the 90s, an antihero, the immorality of immortality, etc. But that's only one interpretation. They're really Oshii that way.
Love this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2