• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Half-Season Princess Resurrection, Clannad Sets Slated

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheTheory

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Neither are shows that I really know much about (although definitely am aware of their presence)... but at that price I would certainly consider picking them up. It'll be interesting to see how they're packaged... while I don't mind FUNI's half-season sets, I definitely wouldn't mind seeing something...... sturdier?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
9hoenix_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I was a little disappointed with the half season sets but I should be glad their finally releasing clannad in america Very Happy FINALLY!
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Aw. I'm sure it's for the best, but Kanon's singles were so nice looking. I would've liked to own Clannad's, even if the show is mediocre.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Makes sense.

They're the only production company that doesn't copy-protect their dvds like everyone else. With Funimation, a person would have to use DVDDecrypter then DVDShrink to squeeze it into a 4.7GB disc, and with Geneon's, you always had to clear the VOB's through several extra processes. And don't even think of copying Wall-E; one Disney dvd is stacked at 64GBs.

I know all this because I make AMV's regularly. And I believe doing this will help ADV stave off cheap Netflix users from copying their discs without permission. And, at the same time, ADV is able to compete better with the other markets that currently offer such deals.

Here's hoping they pick up more soon.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Good move, ADV. I don't have any interest in Clannad, but PR might be considered

Also, I've never understood the criticism of Funi's half-season set packaging. Just what do you guys do with your DVDs, throw them around and toss bricks at them?! I own TV show DVD sets of similar packaging that have been in my collection for 4-5 years, and they're in just as good as condition as when I bought them. Funi shouldn't be held responsible if some people can't treat their DVD sets with care.
trandraskell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Unit 03.5-ish"]I'll take a pass on the generic moe/harem show, but Princess Resurrection looks veddy intelesting...but only if it has a dub, which ADV might have had to cut since Sojitz kicked them out of bed.
Quote:

sojitz has not to do with ADV dub studio they had before and they still have now. Expect both to be in dub format. ADV not know for really release subtitles DVD's only ones I can remember are orginal Devil Hunter yoko,Sakura Diaries and City Hunter. OTher that is all been both subtitles and dub on a disc
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I meant how their finances dipped into the red after Sojitz said "LOL NO".
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Good move ADV. I was gonna wait till all the singles of Clannad were in boxset form, but I'll definitely buy Clannad when it comes out now.
roesnail

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote
i will get clannad now. im just hoping the box sets are not thin packs or simular to funi's go green. it wouldnt look right if i had both clannad sets next to my air box and air is still bigger
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I'll take a pass on the generic moe/harem show, but Princess Resurrection looks veddy intelesting...
Hey now, don't knock it till you try it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PQpYPpohh0&NR=1
Aura Ichadora wrote:
So ADV is making a great step forward in releasing two much-wanted series in a much-wanted format for consumer purchasing.
I don't know, I'm only seeing one "much-wanted" series out of these two, and it isn't Princess Resurrection. Even at the fansub level, PR pulled down numbers similar to other presumed R1 duds like Snow Fairy Sugar, Doki Doki School Hours, and Aquarian Age TV. At least from the numbers I can find, anyway. And what about Best Buy's "No more anime with 'Princess' in the title" policy, anyway? "Ultramaiden Resurrection," perhaps?
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I'll take a pass on the generic moe/harem show

Clannad's as much about the guys as it is the girls.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quote
wow I'm excited I'm going to buy the Clannad boxset at Best Buy or F.Y.E when March comes better start saving up money now!
Crystal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't that crazy about Clannad and didn't really see why everyone else thought it was so great. I agreed that it wasn't loud, annoying and the animation was good but didn't think it was worth all those "Masterpiece" ratings its ANN page has.

I'm glad for the season box set, so I can probably get about all the episodes I watched at once (the 1st 11, I think).
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
This is called forcing to adapt. I just hope it works out for them. I am sure it will with Clannad, but I just hope it is enough to keep ADV around.

I'm very glad to see they jettisoned the idea of doing these as singles. It's likely neither series ever would have been completed that way. Half season boxes will bring in more revenue more quickly off the first and second release. I would have preferred to see full season boxes (lowest risk for both us and fans) and perhaps even a regular and 'limited' edition version of each with the limited version having some sort of nice collectable packaging. That would have been the safest route considering the current situation, so I'll wait to applaud ADV for this move when they stay in business long enough to actually get both boxes of each series out. I'm still having nightmares involving unfinished ADV releases and super angry customers from last summer... Wink No more of that please ADV.

You reading this Chris? Mike? John?

Bob (aka Robert)
The Anime Corner Store
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I'll take a pass on the generic moe/harem show, but Princess Resurrection looks veddy intelesting...
Hey now, don't knock it till you try it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PQpYPpohh0&NR=1
Aura Ichadora wrote:
So ADV is making a great step forward in releasing two much-wanted series in a much-wanted format for consumer purchasing.
I don't know, I'm only seeing one "much-wanted" series out of these two, and it isn't Princess Resurrection. Even at the fansub level, PR pulled down numbers similar to other presumed R1 duds like Snow Fairy Sugar, Doki Doki School Hours, and Aquarian Age TV. At least from the numbers I can find, anyway. And what about Best Buy's "No more anime with 'Princess' in the title" policy, anyway? "Ultramaiden Resurrection," perhaps?

1. Wow...a...harem show where stuff actually HAPPENS? Which sign of the Armageddon was that, again?

2. What do you mean by their policy of not stocking Princess-titled shows?? This is a joke policy, right?

...Right?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 27