• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Clanning Up

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:58 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:

vtnwesley wrote:

No dub for Clannad? I assume they won't release a dub later a la Gurren Lagann? This is disappointing. It won't stop me from buying and enjoying it, but I was looking forward to hearing a dub since I first saw Clannad.

Presumably, it has to do with finances and whatnot. :x

I would've loved to see it dubbed and maybe my favvy VA Hilary Haag might have finally gotten the role in a Key title she deserved long ago (Since, ya know, she would've made the perfect Misuzu...) but one can have their dream teams...

I'm quite disappointed ADV really doesn't seem to be in the state to dub this one, as I really would have liked to hear it, particularly if they had Kyle Jones back like with Air and Kanon. Ah well, I really got to liking the Japanese cast, so it didn't bother me too much, at least. I'm hoping that ADV or someone else will come back and dub it in the future, but just a hope (not really expecting it).
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:01 am Reply with quote
Clannad: I'd love nothing more than to find and then punch the asshat who decided to alienate us dub fans by not putting English audio on it. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

The Wallflower: The first box set's been out for a good while; when's FUNimation going to release the rest of it? At least it beats ADV dragging their asses with single discs like they did before they lost it.

Shelf pics: Quite a collection. (Judging from the posters, I'd say someone's a bit of a yaoi fangirl; good artwork on them, though.)
Anath_19

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:32 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:

Some may attempt to call me out on it but based purely on the whole material that comes about later on in this show, I'd say the content in terms of the level of 'adulthood' presented in Clannad is easily comparable with Honey & Clover. And like I said, though it takes OVER a full season to get through it, the post basics content of the show is probably the best that it's been at. Anyone who's made it past episode 12-14 of the second season can vouch quite well for it and the show easily has become one of the most heart wrenching dramas I've watched in a long time.

I fully agree with this. I enjoyed the first season of Clannad for what it was, but I thought it was only at a level of "good" at that point (or, "rental shelf," like was put in the column). However, starting at about ep 8, it's astounded me with how it's developing. I am not ashamed to say that I've cried at least once for the past three episodes I've watched (and I barely ever cry at things... Saikano and episode 3 of Kaiba are the only other ones that come to mind).
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:39 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Okay, I'm sorry, I'm never really picky about things you put in your reviews, but for the sake of those who've been wanting to get into clannad, remove the mild spoiler concerning Fuko please.

It's not really a spoiler... It's revealed within like, the first two episodes or something. It's not implicitly stated until later, but you can figure it out fairly quickly.

Megiddo wrote:
It wasn't really a spoiler but rather wrong information.

After all spoiler[We know that Fuuko was only in a coma when she shows up to invite everyone to her big sister's wedding.]

That's technically true, but the characters refer to her as a ghost the whole time, so since I didn't want to spoil anything, I figured calling her a dead girl was close enough... I'll go see if I can change it into something more suitable.
Axe-336

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think that's what sets apart “good” visual-novel-based shows from pure garbage like that cursed Shuffle!.

Now you, the reader are thinking "Uh-oh, its a perturbed Shuffle! fan...." And you are correct. While I obviously believe that Kanon, Air and Clannad (Or, KAC) have higher production values, I only like Kanon more than Shuffle!. My reason is simply this: Having seen all three of the aforementioned shows before seeing Shuffle! (Mostly because I had previously heard bad things about it) I had come to expect a certain formula: Whoever the character is that our hero meets first is the one he's going to end up with. Or, if perhaps not the first, then the one with the most spirited entrance. Shuffle completely throws you off: spoiler[While I was a fan of Asa from episode 9 of the show, I honestly didn't think she was going to be the one that Rin ended up with and was enjoying the pleasure of cheering on an underdog. I mean, when does her character type ever end up being the one the hero ends up with? Then the later half is just shocking plot twist after plot twist based on previously innoculous things that didn't mean anything out of context, Asa's mother being the biggest surprise! I mean, who suspects the goofy parent with cute headwear of anything significant?] There, I've said my peace.

Oh, and I agree with the bit about being able to make a show purely out of girls making some strange yet cute sound and then receiving a sympathetic and somewhat teasing head pat.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:50 am Reply with quote
Yikes. I couldn't even make it though the summary of Clannad. I hate to think what the actual anime would be like.

Quote:
These movies are destroying America.

Huh, Is Steven Colbert guest writing today? Wink
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:52 am Reply with quote
Though I've only fully seen Kanon out of the three, would I be correct in assuming that Clannad is 'sadder' than the aforementioned but not quite so much as Air is?
I'm certainly interested in watching it, but the fact it has now extended to two whole series will make it a little long for my tastes- assuming After Story eventually becomes licensed I'd have to pay quite a bit to see it in full.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Granted, I don't envision too many guys pounding on the doors of Best Buy, begging for the last copy of [Ouran], but I think there's something in the show that even male viewers could enjoy. The laughs are genuine, and the characters are comical, so I don't see what there isn't to like.
I tend to like shoujo/female-targeted programming a bit more than the next guy, but it's not for no reason that I've used this avatar for awhile. Even though there's not a lot of eye candy for the guys, there's still appealing female characters. Haruhi's the kind of down-to-earth, straight-talking, no-nonsense girl that you'd love to know, and Renge's over-the-top otakudom and genre savvyness never get old.

There's plenty of parody of shoujo and shounen-ai conventions to mitigate what male viewers see as the usual negatives of those genres, and no shortage of physical/slapstick, visual, and character-based comedy. And the reverse harem of guys isn't as much of a negative as it is in other shows like Fushigi Yuugi. Unlike the male characters in many male-oriented anime, these are guys you can respect or want to emulate. Or maybe that's just me, wishing I could be as blindly confident and socially adept as Tamaki Suou. And then there's the drama...the stories, music, and voice acting (both languages!) put together some pretty powerful scenes. In the commentaries (where you can really see the love felt for the series), director Caitlin Glass and the English VAs repeatedly comment on how well the show switches gears from madcap comedy to tear-jerking drama -- in their words, Ouran lures you in, makes you drop your guard with funny scene after funny scene, and then *bam* hits you hard.

Back in 06-07 when we watched this at anime club, Ouran HS Host Club had plenty of guys voting for it, along with the fangirls. So Bamboo is right, this is a show that can easily appeal to male viewers. Maybe that's why it's apparently had a lot of sales success. At one point, both parts were near or at the top of the Amazon rankings of Funimation's releases, besting the likes of DragonballZ, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Afro Samurai.
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:35 am Reply with quote
If you are so sad that Ouran ended and want to know how it continues, you can always read the manga ... still ongoing =)
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:50 am Reply with quote
As another guy who watched Ouran, I generally agree wtih Zalis. The show was a lot of fun to watch regardless of any leanings it might have towards a female audience. Well-defined characters and their interactions help keep the comedy consistently funny, and the quality of Bones' animation and artistry on exhibit, as well as a great English dub, mean the show is a pleasure to watch and listen to.

Hell, I cracked up every time Hikaru and Kaoru got intimate, and that's about as female fan-pandering as the show gets. High quality cheesecake every time, and it was also funny because it was easy to imagine the same situations occuring in a shounenized Ouran with female twins.

With regards to Clannad, I'll just say that I'm glad this is the series that I chose to watch out of the Key trinity. Tomoya's a great lead, and most of the rest of the cast are at least likeable -- though Nagisa is kind of bleh, and I absolutely dreaded that Fuko was going to pop up again throughout the first half of After Story. And yes, After Story advances the material of Clannad quite far in terms of maturity once it gets going, which has made it very enjoyable (especially in terms of development for Tomoya). Also, watching Kyoto burn perverse amounts of money on animating the alternate-world sequences is entertaining, in a twisted sort of way. Laughing
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:45 am Reply with quote
I've not watched Clannad but I do watch After Story. Nice character development.
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:06 am Reply with quote
AAAAHHHHH! Clannad is only rentaL! *HEART FAIL*
But really?
Well, imo I thought Clannad was the better of the three; so I'll be picking that up to keep in my anime collection forever.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:25 am Reply with quote
I never could get into Clannad or the other two. Those huge watery eyes...MUST...STAB...THEM...OUT!!!

Another endorsement for Ouran, might have to finally check it out.

When are you gonna finally cover the last third of Gurren Lagann, dammit?! Mad
Ceral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:04 am Reply with quote
Is the author of shelf life trying to explain why she likes Clannad to her grandmother? While she is saying she likes the series, she's trying to dumb it down just about every other sentence as well....

As a fan of the series, I really wish the article would explain why it was liked. How about talking about it's good points, for example, the detailed animation. I mean, this is an anime site, why waste so much time trying to defend why you like a series(without even giving any real explanations), after reading a lot of these shelf life articles, why do it everytime one of KyoAni's works is the subject? They are some of the most well rated on anime sites after all... I think if someone comes to ANN they kind of know what they're in for, the editor seems to know too, after all she has no problem throwing heaps of praise on Ouran Host, which I found every bit if not more ridiculous than Clannad, I tend to think that the characters in Clannad act believable according to their circumstances, otherwise you wouldn't have people raving about how wonderfully executed some of the characters arcs were. Despite however basely ridiculous some people say the series is, the script writing, voice acting, and animation are executed so well that people forget they are even watching an animation. And they are able to get absorbed in such "frivolous stories".

With the way Kyoani's wonderful series are talked about on ANN, it kind of ticks me off, because it was the same criticism that made me think Air was not worth watching or was just a rerun of the same things already done in media. It wasn't until 3 years that I was finally convinced to give it a try, thanks to the more hardcore fans(The Air/Kanon/Clannad KeyVisualArts adaptations series are allamong my top 10 favorite series now). C'mon, I think this series deserves better, the way it's talked about here, it's no wonder Clannad doesn't have a dub...
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:08 am Reply with quote
KrisEllieOphi wrote:

Clannad is very sweet and cute. Kanon (the original, not the remake) is still my favorite of the bunch, I think. Though it's been a long time since I've seen it. Clannad is still good; mostly because I found Kotomi (the book worm girl) to be the cutest most darling thing I'd seen in a while.

It seems rare to find fans who prefer the original KANON, but I liked it better too, because the remake seemed too padded out to me--but perhaps it's because I saw the original first; if I had seen them reversed, maybe I would think the original was too sparse and rushed. As a big fan of Japanese noise in the 90s, I found Kotomi's noise-violin very entertaining.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16