• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Persona 4 Anime's On Demand Promo Previews English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
Erin Fitzgerald's Chie is awesome! You can definitely hear Nazz from Ed, Edd, n Eddy in there. Razz

I'm so glad Sentai got most of the original cast back. The replacement cast members are also being used for Arena, and possible from then on, so these cast changes look to be pretty permanent. Smile
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of the few who definitely misses the original dub Chie, who I absolutely loved, but hopefully the new one will grow on me. And worst case scenario, there's the sub to revert to if I have to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
It honestly sounds closer to her Japanese version (Yui Horie), where she had a "Spunky" voice instead of trying to have a more "Mature" Voice like the original Persona 4 did. I like it better myself.

!

The original P4 Chie did have a slightly older sounding voice, although she did act like a tomboy appropriately. She may have been slightly miscast based on the sound of her voice, but I think her acting was pretty spot on for the character.

She got a bad rap around the net by a lot of people, but after playing it again, I thought Tracy Rooney did a pretty good job acting wise.

Still thought original Naoto was the biggest miscasting though. Did they change her voice actress?
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:

Still thought original Naoto was the biggest miscasting though. Did they change her voice actress?

Do we even know who voiced Naoto? I've never been able to find who did.

I actually though Naoto was perfect, even more so than Kanji, Adachi or Rise.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
bravetailor wrote:

Do we even know who voiced Naoto? I've never been able to find who did.

I actually though Naoto was perfect, even more so than Kanji, Adachi or Rise.

Problem with Naoto is that it was obvious spoiler[she was a girl with the English dub voice, when it was supposed to be hidden. Romi Paku did a much better job since she mainly voices teenage boy characters.]
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Geh, I have P4A and I really really don't like Chie's new voice, but I'll get over it. It's the loss of Wittenberg that gets me so now I'm really having a hard time mustering up the courage to sit through a new dub. Persona's just one of those games where you really get attached to the voices and the personalities those voices bring, and people can bemoan about the bear jokes all they want, but Dave Wittenberg made that character his own to me so much to the point I have a hard problem sitting through Kappei Yamaguchi's version. Every Teddy from here on are just pale shadows.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm playing P4 right now, so I'm looking forward to seeing this come to TAN. Hopefully there'll be a full bluray release in the future too.
The new Chie isn't bad, but I'd definitely have to get used to it after playing so much of the game already.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
The American Average wrote:
well sentai is awesome because they get back the original cast of shows

Indeed. That's just stellar.

Quote:
It then announced in July that its Blu-ray Disc collection will be English dub only, due to Japanese licensor requirements. The DVD version will contain both audio tracks.

I feel bad for the folks collecting the Blu-rays, but I'm glad I can get the DVDs without this issue.
sukisho

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
skyreno4 wrote:
The American Average wrote:
well sentai is awesome because they get back the original cast of shows

Yup your right, not like funimation they couldnt get the orginal cast of the shana series, not even one cast reprise his or her role, aside of that, can't wait for my persona 4 blu ray to arrive ^^

And I really wish people would stop with the whole "screw funimation for not getting the old VAs for Shana" don't you think they would've done it if it was worth the money? Yes, they would've, but Shana ins't nearly as popular as Persona, and Sentai is making a smart market move by pushing the series out when all those new Persona 4 games are coming out.

Yeah, that's not really their fault. They probably couldn't get in contact with them very easily considering they were an Ocean Studios production cast, being in Canada (and FUNi being in america). Plus, FUNi usually has it's cast record in-studio (with the exception of a few series) so again, crossing the boarders there makes that a bit harder.

It's a bit easier for Sentai (Texas based company) to do things like this, as they outsource and has other studios handle the english dubbing, which is why the California cast of the P4 Game is part of this.

RyanSaotome wrote:
Problem with Naoto is that it was obvious spoiler[she was a girl with the English dub voice,
when it was supposed to be hidden. Romi Paku did a much better job since she mainly voices teenage boy characters.]

Going from one language to another will change the kind of aspect though. Japan has females often play unknown gendered characters, so it's a bit easier for them to get the idea across and people are more used to it. English, they just come off sounding a bit more of a matured woman, which can at times match on it's own level and other times just sound horribly wrong.

Last edited by sukisho on Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Plus English doesn't have gender pronouns like Japanese does. "Boku wa" VS Atashi wa"
sukisho

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Plus English doesn't have gender pronouns like Japanese does. "Boku wa" VS Atashi wa"

Well English does, though they are for "He", "She" and "It" however Japanese has them for a wider range of things (as in what you pointed out, being the pronoun of "I"). They also have them for "You" ("kimi", "anata", sochira") and sentence endings (which we don't even really have in English)
DTJB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I think it's safe to say Persona 4 is no longer an underrated franchise in the States.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
DTJB wrote:
I think it's safe to say Persona 4 is no longer an underrated franchise in the States.

It's a great time to be a Persona 4 fan, that's for sure! Laughing

Though it is going to make expectations for the upcoming Persona 5 pretty damn high.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:16 am Reply with quote
I just watched the first episode tonight on TAN and it was pretty good. If you enjoyed the dub in the game I don't think you'll have any complaints unless you really were a die hard fan of Teddy or Chie's voices, but I didn't find the change to be to drastic.

edit:
Just found this out, so thought I'd add it for those who might be interested, the opening used on the first episode was (according to wiki) the same as the broadcast version and not the home release. So it will be interesting to see what arrives on the actual DVD/BD release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2