• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part 1 & 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
No, the split is correct. Movie one ends spoiler[with Sayaka becoming a witch], which is the end of episode 8

Well then what gives? How can the second movie be 109 minutes long? There'd have to be nearly 30 minutes of new content. Confused
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
While there was little new content, the movies looked great on a big screen, particularly the battle sequences and labyrinths. It's a pretty nice upgrade for someone like me who's only watched the TV series streaming.
Quote:
Very little of import has actually been left out from the series, though the decision to leave out Mami's backstory was puzzling
That's the only bit that bothered me. I don't know why they would cut that. Oh well.

Kind of a long time to sit though, about 3/4 of the way through the first movie everyone started leaving to go to the bathroom.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm just guessing, but perhaps the expansion of Kyouko's character and Homura's backstory bump up the run-time.

Also that gratuitious lesbian nuzzling scene is just plain unecessary.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
willag wrote:
I personally prefer how they ended episode 11 with no BGM in the tv version - it left more of an "OHSHIT" emotional punch for me. The disc clean-up included the "Magia" song.

Totally. That was the only change I really didn't like. I really felt like Magia ruined that scene in the touched up version.

Just checked this out and it definitely does give the scene a different feel since the emotion/feeling of the song imparts some of itself onto the scene. Not sure though personally whether it's better or not.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't consider what's coming necessarily to be worrying; we don't really know much about spoiler[Madoka's new world], so I'm entirely looking forward to it.
Chagen46 wrote:
Would you be complaining if they were male? We all know that scene was pure fanservice; your sour-grapes bitching is entirely pointless at best.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
I don't know, I like the cleanup they did for the BD's.

I liked the clean-up too, but I wasn't so keen on some of the additions and changes.
What were the changes? I only just watched the blu-ray ( I know, I'm late to the party) and I didn't know it was different from the broadcast version.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

As were most of the animation upgrades and changes in these movies. Heck, the movies themselves. Your point?
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
+ One of the best anime TV series of recent years presented in marathon format;

This is sort of subjective to what your definition of "best" is, which could differ from person to person. It's good, no doubt about that. Personally, I wouldn't say it's 'one of the best' though.

I haven't seen the movies (Sometimes, I hate living nowhere near the border) but hopefully, they get released on DVD/ Blu-Ray sometime because I'm genuinely curious on what they did.

EDIT:

No, I'm not attacking anyone's opinions on the show or films.
People read way too much or too little into comments these days.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
No, the split is correct. Movie one ends spoiler[with Sayaka becoming a witch], which is the end of episode 8

Well then what gives? How can the second movie be 109 minutes long? There'd have to be nearly 30 minutes of new content. Confused

That probably includes the credits (both of them) would probably make up ~7 minutes of it. Plus the movie OP again. Plus the original TV OP (with slight changes) and another 1-2 minutes from a scene moved out of the first film to the end of [spoiler]the big Homura flasback[/url]. And maybe they included the 3rd movie preview in that. But that's still quite a bit of time (15-20 minutes) they'd have to add in. I thought they might have expanded some of the spoiler[post-Godoka universe reformation] stuff a bit, but only by 2-3 minutes max, certainly not by 10+.
Sparvid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I get that re-recording the voices would be necessary for the new and edited scenes, but why do it for the whole thing? Isn't the end result going to sound virtually identical anyway?

Also, with the various changes between the original airings, Blu rays, and movies, I wonder if there'll be some fan edits done in the future.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
What were the changes? I only just watched the blu-ray ( I know, I'm late to the party) and I didn't know it was different from the broadcast version.

The end of episode eleven and Mami's apartment in episode three(?) were both changed for the worse. Well, I thought so. Those are the two biggest problems, I'm sure there must be a comprehensive list somewhere on the net.

The Blu-Rays did get some things right. For instance, I like the additional blood in Sayaka's silhouette fight, even if it runs the risk of spoiling the scene by diverting the viewer's attention away from the emotional impact.

Anyway, if I'm being perfectly honest with myself I probably just like the T.V. version more because that's the one I watched first.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The end of episode eleven and Mami's apartment in episode three(?) were both changed for the worse. Well, I thought so. Those are the two biggest problems, I'm sure there must be a comprehensive list somewhere on the net.

Found something. Does this help?

http://yuismusings.tumblr.com/post/33573441213/madoka-magica-movie-1-in-depth-look
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Quote:
(Shame on you if you felt it was some sort of yuri fantasy. This type of behavior is common between friends in Japan, and is nothing sexual.)

pffffffffft
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

That list covers differences between the Blu-Rays and the movie, not between the Blu-Rays and the T.V. broadcast. But I appreciate it nonetheless; as someone who was not able to see the movie the list you linked to is really helpful for me.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Quote:
+ One of the best anime TV series of recent years presented in marathon format;

This is sort of subjective to what your definition of "best" is, which could differ from person to person. It's good, no doubt about that. Personally, I wouldn't say it's 'one of the best' though.

I haven't seen the movies (Sometimes, I hate living nowhere near the border) but hopefully, they get released on DVD/ Blu-Ray sometime because I'm genuinely curious on what they did.

Really had to go there didn't you. Had to attack the reviewer for his opinion on how he viewed the TV series. He thought it was one of the best anime TV series of recent years. I think it was one of the greatest anime TV series of this century.

So if you want to argue over adjectives for the PMMM TV series, instead of the actual review of the movies, I am sure that there are many who will put their two cents in also.

As to the movies, this sounds like great news. Definitely a must buy, especially since I wasn't in the viewing area. Pity the movies didn't get Fathom showings like the Eureka 7 movie did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9