• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Firms Reveal Bishōjo Anime Plans for Coming Year

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relentlessflame

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I'm hoping for less dating-sim-based harem moé anime this year and more slice-of-life moé anime or slice-of-life-with-a-fantasy-twist moé anime.

It seems to me that at least part of this has pretty much already happened. The amount of dating-sim-based anime peaked 3 or 4 years ago, and has sort of stabilized down to 1 or 2 per season. If I'm not mistaken, the amount this season is zero, and so far I only see two for the spring. Even Fall, traditionally the busiest season for visual novel adaptations, only had 3 this past year and two of those were sequels/continuations. Most of the "harem moé" you see nowadays is based off of light novels or manga. And I think there's at least a slice-of-life influence on a lot of moé shows these days (especially the more popular ones), so I think it's quite probable that we'll continue seeing more of that.

So, in my opinion, your hope is very likely to come true, or may arguably already have started coming true last year.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
The announcement of seven shows in the same niche is a sign of a stagnant market. That is alarming. They are marketing these shows to the same buyers, and due to over saturation that market is likely to shrink over time, not grow.

2008 had 130 different series, if the numbers on chartfag's charts are accurate. 2010 will probably have around the same, maybe a few less depending on how the Spring and Fall seasons shape up.

Seven shows over the course of the year is some how a sign of a stagnant market? Even if that number triples, it still won't equal a quarter of the total output for the year, even if this year is a slower than normal one.

And as other people have mentioned, what do you expect Megami to announce in terms of anime titles?
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but they are all coming from ONE company
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
And as other people have mentioned, what do you expect Megami to announce in terms of anime titles?

Berserk 2, Kurozuka 2, Devil May Cry 2 and Elfen Lied 2. Never mind, I'd rather face the monster under my bed.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
PlatinumHawke wrote:

Berserk 2, Kurozuka 2, Devil May Cry 2 and Elfen Lied 2. Never mind, I'd rather face the monster under my bed.

Why would there be yet another Berserk adaptation when the manga isn't complete? Do you want yet another inconclusive ending? No thanks on Devil May Cry 2, the first was bad enough, and I'm pretty sure there isn't any more canon to work with for Elfen Lied.
Skyhawk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Good to see a sequel of Strike Witches. Now for a 4th sequel of Nanoha or more dating sim harem moe anime. I don't care if people hate it, I like it and thats all that matters.

I had to clean the soda I sprayed all over my monitor when someone mentioned: Berserk 2, Kurozuka 2, Devil May Cry 2 and Elfen Lied 2. Someone ought to read the title, Japanese Firms Reveal Bishōjo Anime Plans for Coming Year. There was a moe character in Elfen Lied but if I remember right she blew herself up.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Skyhawk wrote:
Good to see a sequel of Strike Witches. Now for a 4th sequel of Nanoha or more dating sim harem moe anime. I don't care if people hate it, I like it and thats all that matters.

Too bad for Gonzo that they're not doing the animation for the second season. Strike Witches was the first series in a long time that actually sold well in Japan for them. And they do good animation when they want to. But at least the original staff are back on board, so that's good news for us at least.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Why would there be yet another Berserk adaptation when the manga isn't complete? Do you want yet another inconclusive ending? No thanks on Devil May Cry 2, the first was bad enough, and I'm pretty sure there isn't any more canon to work with for Elfen Lied.

The thing is that the magazine isn't specialized in this sort of anime, thus the joke was born. Sorry for having you take me seriously. Besides what you said there was nothing but your own greedy opinion, since many* fans would be more than glad to receive such news.
*Many; not all.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
from my understanding, strike witches seems to be doing real well in the preorder department, and if that is the case, we all know that funimation will grab the second season as well,

I want more toradora, sure the light novels are over, but they could go a little further if they wanted to, maybe even just a few OVAs,
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:38 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
I just want to thank everyone who's making this news negative. You guys keep reminding me of how much I despise my own fandom.

Man, do I hear that. I swear some people only hang around so that they can bleat on cue every time a new season starts up: "waaah, waaah, there's not a single show I like, waaah, waaah."
Scamp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:03 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ranma824 wrote:
I just want to thank everyone who's making this news negative. You guys keep reminding me of how much I despise my own fandom.

Man, do I hear that. I swear some people only hang around so that they can bleat on cue every time a new season starts up: "waaah, waaah, there's not a single show I like, waaah, waaah."

Oh just you wait. Wait until Chartfags amazing chart comes out for the upcoming spring season. Then you'll really see the whining start
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:56 am Reply with quote
True dat. I've already got my earplugs ready to drown out the inevitable caterwauling.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:28 am Reply with quote
Scamp wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Ranma824 wrote:

Oh just you wait. Wait until Chartfags amazing chart comes out for the upcoming spring season. Then you'll really see the whining start

I'm actually hoping for the impossible, that they will STOP watching anime and posting here altogether.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
I'm actually hoping for the impossible, that they will STOP watching anime and posting here altogether.

You're just like a zealous holy knight on his holy crusade to ban the dark knights from the anime world's surface mostly because they stated their thoughts about the new season. So that you could finally achieve a world full of blossomed pink flowers, short of pessimistic humans. I wish you good luck and that your bright golden stones paved path shall never shatter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2