• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Soul Eater Part 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:40 pm Reply with quote
To be truthfully honest, and it has NOTHING to do with Hope's insightful (if a little too positive) review, I am not really all that impressed with Soul Eater.

It's like she said: It's a Shonen Jump that went to get dressed up at Hot Topic, took Tim Burton pills, and and recycled what is typical.

i.e. it's something all done before, but with better production values.

While I love BONES as much as the next one (Eureka Seven is #3 on my Top 10), they should've saved their budget for something more profound, or created another original story!

And 50 episodes??? That just is not good...

No offense to ANYONE, because I saw the first 4 dubbed (which I love. Laura rocks! Todd is FUNNY!!!), but they're is NOTHING original about this show...

Mind you, I still might buy this. Not because it's good, but because it's fun. That much, I'll admit!
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm also loving Hope's almost lyrical descriptions, they capture the mood of the shows so well and sound dang good as well. Do more reviews please!
And as soon as I can I'll try to see more of the dub (Soul's voice threw me off in the few subbed episodes but the English version was exactly as imagined). Oddly enough, while I haven't seen tons of dubs, I had no trouble recognizing Vic. Must be the pitch, he always sounds unusually high to me, but he really did tone it down for SE.

Jedi General wrote:

Head-scratching ending aside, I still hesitate to read the manga. I bought the first volume, but all the extra fan service was a big turn-off.

The fanservice really gets toned down later (I think one of the fan jokes now is that Blair's boobs go down a cup size in each of the recent chapters). When I bought the first volume I was actually astounded since I couldn't remember that much fanservice in there.
saylom1234

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote
21stcenturydigitalboy wrote:
Awesome review of a great show, and now I have to make the usual recommendation to everyone: Read the manga as well! The anime follows the manga almost exactly for most of it's run, which ought to have made it more worthwhile (albeit less well-paced in it's very nature) but there is a very good reason to read the manga, which is that the anime makes up it's own ending very suddenly at the end of it's 50-episode run... RIGHT before the manga reaches it's highest peak of awesomeness and all of it's most amazing fights.

The manga may be a little difficult to get into at first because the artist's style changes drastically from 'decent' to 'excellent' over the course of the first few volumes, but if you push past that, you'll reach an incredibly stellar manga that, as a fan of the anime, will only make the experience that much more fulfilling.

I absolutely agree with this comment. This box set (first of four) directly follows the manga. However, come episode 35 (snow time dome episode... I forgot exactly what it was called, haven't seen the show in months) the anime takes a turn away from the manga to its finish. A pretty sad happening considering the manga (as quoted) was just getting to its greatest stuff. I can only hope Bones gives us more Soul Eater, bringing the new manga material to life!!!

I also wanted to applaud Hope Chapman for this excellent review (coming from someone who has seen the whole series subbed). I am looking forward to buying the dub.

[EDIT: Two consecutive posts spliced together. In the future, use Edit to add comments to your original post rather than doing this again. - Key]
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
I'm also loving Hope's almost lyrical descriptions, they capture the mood of the shows so well and sound dang good as well. Do more reviews please!
And as soon as I can I'll try to see more of the dub (Soul's voice threw me off in the few subbed episodes but the English version was exactly as imagined). Oddly enough, while I haven't seen tons of dubs, I had no trouble recognizing Vic. Must be the pitch, he always sounds unusually high to me, but he really did tone it down for SE.

Jedi General wrote:

Head-scratching ending aside, I still hesitate to read the manga. I bought the first volume, but all the extra fan service was a big turn-off.

The fanservice really gets toned down later (I think one of the fan jokes now is that Blair's boobs go down a cup size in each of the recent chapters). When I bought the first volume I was actually astounded since I couldn't remember that much fanservice in there.

This, though the fanservice when it does appear is pretty far-out and it is a good long while before it gets really toned down.

I don't see why it's a problem, though, it doesn't take time away from the story - the anime took the same scenes and just put a little more clothes on them, so you're getting the same exact thing with a bit more flesh. You'd have to be seriously squick about these things for it to be that bothersome >.>

Personally, I'm all in favor of more fanservice, because there's no good reason to have less of it if it's not in the way.

saylom1234 wrote:
Awesome review of a great show, and now I have to make the usual recommendation to everyone: Read the manga as well! The anime follows the manga almost exactly for most of it's run, which ought to have made it more worthwhile (albeit less well-paced in it's very nature) but there is a very good reason to read the manga, which is that the anime makes up it's own ending very suddenly at the end of it's 50-episode run... RIGHT before the manga reaches it's highest peak of awesomeness and all of it's most amazing fights.

The manga may be a little difficult to get into at first because the artist's style changes drastically from 'decent' to 'excellent' over the course of the first few volumes, but if you push past that, you'll reach an incredibly stellar manga that, as a fan of the anime, will only make the experience that much more fulfilling.

I absolutely agree with this comment. This box set (first of four) directly follows the manga. However, come episode 35 (snow time dome episode... I forgot exactly what it was called, haven't seen the show in months) the anime takes a turn away from the manga to its finish. A pretty sad happening considering the manga (as quoted) was just getting to its greatest stuff. I can only hope Bones gives us more Soul Eater, bringing the new manga material to life!!!

I would have said that there wasn't much of a chance, but then I would wait to see how it does in the US before deciding that. FullMetalAlchemist's massive success stateside probably had a lot to do with Bones going ahead with Brotherhood, so who knows if we could get a second chance years down the line. I know that there is nothing I would love to see animated more than the Kidvs.Mosquitto fight. That remains one of the coolest manga battles I've ever seen.

[EDIT: Okay, this is now two people in a row who have done this, and I'm getting irritated. DO NOT USE CONSECUTIVE POSTS to repond to different people; do it all in one post. I spliced them together this time, but in the future I may just delete the second post outright. - Key]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
saylom1234

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote

I would have said that there wasn't much of a chance, but then I would wait to see how it does in the US before deciding that. FullMetalAlchemist's massive success stateside probably had a lot to do with Bones going ahead with Brotherhood, so who knows if we could get a second chance years down the line. I know that there is nothing I would love to see animated more than the Kidvs.Mosquitto fight. That remains one of the coolest manga battles I've ever seen.

That is exactly what I had in mind - FMA and FMAB. FMA had a ridiculous number of viewers, thanks to the numerous tv networks which advertised it. I think the chances are slim for Soul Eater (considering the fact that FMA had a lot more US manga readers when FMA anime was released than Soul Eater did upon its release) But maybe Funimation's Soul Eater anime release (sub/dub-which I think is a pretty good dub from the first 4 episodes I watched) will pull thru and produce enough Soul Eater anime (encouraging manga reading) fans so that BONES will consider doing for Soul Eater what they did for FMA. If such a phenomenon were to happen again, let it be with Soul Eater! Gotta agree with that choice of manga to animation scene as well. And everything else... haha.
dawgstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:32 am Reply with quote
For what it's worth, I think Brittney Karbowski does get better as Black*Star, particularly in episodes 10-11 or so that focus on Tsubaki and he, as she gets used to voicing a male shonen hero. I didn't think she started off bad, either. Everybody's got to start voicing loud ninja somewhere, you know?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't particularly recall Yumiko Koyabayashi's Excel Koyabayashi as all that memorable. That was an episode character (eps 5, 9, & 13). Of course Kotono Mitsuishi's Excel was pretty amazing. I was consistantly amazed as how fast that gal could spew forth the next-ep previews.

JesuOtaku wrote:

Quote:
I felt the same way. I heard a clip of Vic's voice acting in this somewhere (I think Amazon?) and I had to doublecheck on ANN if he was really playing Spirit because I could hardly tell it was him. This is very good news for me, since I was one of the people that criticized him for being too similar in some of his roles. I haven't ordered the first set (yet) but that positive voice acting already makes me want to buy it even more. Very Happy

Yeah, the review was really long as is, so I didn't have time to mention it, but I feel I must point this out: this is the first time in his voice acting history I had a LOT of trouble recognizing Vic Mignogna. And I'm counting the bizarre, cartoony bit stuff he did in Kino's Journey and Super GALS. He can be "Man Gasping in Crowd" and you can always tell it's him, his voice is so distinctive.

I've never really cared about all the Mignogna hate because realistically a VA's voice should be what they're known for. There's a reason for companies paying big bucks to name brand actors to voice-over commercials the actor doesn't appear in--they want that voice.
There's only one or 2 performances I haven't been able to pick out Takehito Koyasu doing yet he's pretty amazing (Excalibur in this title). I can usually pick out Soichiro Hoshi & Akira Ishida although again, both are excellent VA's. On the English side, Crispin Freeman, Steve Blum, Michael McConnihie, Richard Cox, & Kirby Morrow are pretty easy to pick out.
My daughter can pick out Daran Norris & knew he was in Fairly OddParents & Ned's Declassified. She even picked him out of a single ep of Ghost in the shell.
What matters is the actor's ability to put across the emotion required.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, another thing to throw onto Netflix. I was holding off even though I've heard good things since I wasn't sure how much of that was just the usual amount of people going nuts over the newest bit of shonen.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
mckg1 wrote:
I want to get soul eater so bad but if i buy it now i am certain a Blu Ray release will come. IDK if i should get it now or wait until it comes out on Blu Ray ( which i want it on this format).

Soul Eater apparently never got a Blu-Ray release in Japan. At least not yet.
nagato316

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
I'm also loving Hope's almost lyrical descriptions, they capture the mood of the shows so well and sound dang good as well.

It's quite a gift of prose she wields, isn't it? In fact this review actually read and felt like a script from a yet-to-be-produced "JesuOtaku" video review (referencing a cinematic visionary like Burton right out the starting gate? Yup, that's our cinemaphile JO!) because it was that deft in capturing that imagery and overall mood of a series with just words, even without the benefit of clips. And what's this?

Hope wrote:

introduction of a “villain,” Dr. Franken Stein, who slides in ominously on a rolling chair only to hit the doorsill, collapse painfully and grunt “I'm going to try that again.” (He does. Guess how that turns out.)

That parenthetical last part looks to me like the closest we'll get to seeing the "snarktitles," so ubiquitous in her vids, within the format of ANN's written reviews...well played, Hope! *applauds* More importantly, your review apparently reassures me that my initial jaw-drop reaction to and subsequent anticipation for Soul Eater from just watching Funi's trailers is warranted and not misplaced, so thanks for the heads-up. Very Happy

Otaking09 wrote:

i.e. it's something all done before, but with better production values.

Not necessarily a bad thing...just ask Mr. King of the World, Jimmy Cameron! Anime hyper
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Good review, between this description and watching the first episode I know this is not a show I'm going to bother with. I had been wondering if I should try continuing the series or not and now I know.

I appreciate the stylistic tricks but I am one that should "run far far away" from a show that uses every shonen trope in the book and relies too heavily on humor targeted to the intended teen audience, no matter how stylistically it is executed.

I would suggest though that Soul Eaters designs are more influenced by Jamie Hewlitt (Gorillaz/Tank Girl) than Tim Burton, or at least as much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
swienke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:33 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I appreciate the stylistic tricks but I am one that should "run far far away" from a show that uses every shonen trope in the book and relies too heavily on humor targeted to the intended teen audience, no matter how stylistically it is executed.

The crude humor really dies down as the series goes on. The first episode is chock-full of it (and made me very, very concerned about how the rest of the series was going to turn out), and there are a couple of episodes later on that are similar, but most of the humor is more of the slapstick or ironic and self-aware type. It's a pretty eclectic mix of comedic styles, but it works really well in this series. If you truly and passionately hate all shonen type shows, then you probably won't enjoy this, but otherwise I would say give it a chance.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Soul Eater is old-school shonen, at its simplest and brashest level.

This is actually the complete and polar opposite position than what I took for the latest issue of Otaku USA magazine (which has Soul Eater on the cover!). The way I see it, Soul Eater is actually new-school shonen ("neo-shonen" if you would), at its simplest and brashest level due to a fundamental difference in editorial philosophy between "then" and "now." Despite the "boys" moniker, modern-era shonen--which at this point, is roughly the last 20 years--is very carefully crafted to appeal to boys AND girls. Old-school shonen editorial direction was not intentionally guided in that direction; it was just made to appeal to boys.

It ultimately boils down to how people are defining what "classic"/"old-school" means. After all, we live in a world where Rurouni Kenshin is now 16 years old and Tenchi Muyo was 18 years ago. To a lot of people, it would make sense to say "those are old-school" because at this point, several anime fans weren't even alive back then. But I think it makes more sense to look at it from a design philosophy point of view. Otherwise we'd have to start saying Cowboy Bebop and Trigun are old-school classics because those were all the way back in 1998!

Consider this: would old-school shonen action/adventure really have a girl like Maka as the main character? I highly doubt that, considering the Shonen Jump heroines of yesteryear were characters like Kekko Kamen (not even exaggerating, that was in Shonen Jump!). We're knee deep in remakes, so I'll end with this observation: Space Adventure Cobra was a Shonen Jump manga from back in the day, and there is new Cobra anime currently running in Japan that's available streaming on Crunchyroll with English subtitles. It's quite faithful to the original manga and anime. You can watch it now, for free. Check out any episode of that, and ask yourself if this sort of thing would REALLY appeal to as broad an audience as Soul Eater does. I dig Cobra--heck, I should probably write an article on it--but since it's basically a sci-fi Sean Connery-era James Bond it's pretty much for boys only, which in 2010 means it's no longer "shonen" but "seinen."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
"New" shônen?
Let's see:

- "I want to be stronger to protect my friends": check
- "You cannot be alive after my special attack!": check
- "You're a jerk! *girl punches*: check

Oh, yeah, Maka is the main character (sort of). While I am not saying SE is a bad series (much, much better than trash like *the story which gets publised because my twin brother draws Naruto*), it's not exactly "new".

Oh, and in other time, Soul Eater would've been a world hit.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I missed the original brand of Soul Eater Kewl-Aid, but when was the show EVER hyped as being something "new" or "innovative"?

I always had the impression that it was just stylishly handled shounen.

Quote:
New" shônen?
Let's see:

- "I want to be stronger to protect my friends": check
- "You cannot be alive after my special attack!": check
- "You're a jerk! *girl punches*: check

Don't these quotes sound like...Gurren Lagann? And everyone loved that show. Oh wait, I forgot, GL is a post-modern deconstruction of old-school mecha anime. Yeah....YEAH! Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3