• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Skull Man Cometh

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FuwaKitty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
*Sees Strong World Luffy*

*Dies from jealousy*

I have to wait another month or so for him and my Nami.

;___;
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I'll probably pass on all the ones this week. I might eventually get Hidamari, but it's not high on my list.

In regards to the link, Pani Poni Dash isn't a poor man's anything. Heck, I think I've watched it more times than Azumanga even though I prefer the latter. There's something about it that I find it relaxing (the music often helps). I'm not sure what the criticism of School Rumble is, and Heroic Age gets far better a few episodes in. Edit: And the rage against moe is getting tired, and it seems Japan might be agreeing with me as well. The spring list is pretty moe-free.

Pretty nice shelves. In fact, I just ordered that 5-figure set of those mini Higurashi figures (though mine comes with 10, 2 versions of each 5 characters).

Edit: Also got my first Portrait of Pirates figure (original version Luffy) a few weeks ago. Dreading how much it will cost to get all 8 (eventually 10) Strawhats, Ace (spoiler[probably my next one to get given recent events!]), Shanks, Vivi, Smoker, Tashigi, Mihawk, Crocodile, etc. I'm not sure if there's ones of Blackbeard and Whitebeard yet, but definitely want them too. Yeah, this will cost a LOT. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Heroic Age gets far better a few episodes in.

This. As much as I would love Space Tarzan, you practically get space kaijuu and a message on war that's 100 times better than any Gundam tries to hammer you with.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
Heroic Age gets far better a few episodes in.

This. As much as I would love Space Tarzan, you practically get space kaijuu and a message on war that's 100 times better than any Gundam tries to hammer you with.

Agreed, but it still has problems throughout, especially with its character designs and bland supporting cast.

Btw, is anyone else loving how Funimation is using a quote from a negative review of Shigurui to sell it in the site ad?
justjohnny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's a harsh review for Hidamari. I'm surprised it got a rental rating.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I followed through and read your "After My Bedtime" blogs. I have to ask, though: your describe Mouryou no Hako as "overrated," but did anyone ever actually finish that in fansubs?

If I'm thinking of the right show (it had character designs by CLAMP, correct?) then yes it did get completely fansubbed, just really slowly.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
bonfire123 wrote:
a grave of the fireflies party...

It is not beyond conception. There exists themed confectionery for such occasions.

Worst theme party ever!! Although now I kind of feel like it should happen. You wouldn't have to serve food at the party, but the SFX make-up might cost money and be hard to clean up... The hardest part would be catching live fireflies.

But the infamous party happened this way: In 2001, I was invited to a party filled with acquaintances of my boyfriend-at-the-time, people I didn't know. I forget now, but I may have been specifically asked to "bring some anime." I had never seen Grave of the Fireflies, and the packaging made it seem classy, so I rented it... and I was never invited to a party with those people ever again. I was still a n00b! I didn't know any better!

Princess_Irene wrote:
"Moe pastoral..." I'm going to start teaching that in my lit classes. Smile What would be even more fun? "Moe pastourelle" - a late medieval troubadour ballad where a knight fails to seduce a moe girl with his witty repartee.

I'm green-lighting this project! But that's already more of a plot than Hidamari.

neocloud9 wrote:
Quote:
Speaking of which, I owe the translator of the Spice and Wolf novels...

Okay, color me curious. How the heck did that come about? Laughing

I know him in real life. He's been playing some oldschool moe game recently and giving me a hard time.

vashfanatic wrote:
I followed through and read your "After My Bedtime" blogs.

Whoa, whoa, that isn't my blog.

doctordoom85 wrote:
In regards to the link, Pani Poni Dash isn't a poor man's anything. Heck, I think I've watched it more times than Azumanga even though I prefer the latter.

I didn't like the first disc of Pani Poni Dash... but my husband haaaaated it. He flipped out.

mulrich wrote:
I cannot see how in the world you came to the conclusion that Miyako is "the stupid one": Her character is defined as someone who does well on tests and is an excellent artist. She leads an incredibly simple life, and is very straight-forward, cheerful, always hungry and she never has any money.

Miyako reminded me of Phoebe on Friends. Eriko in High School Girls also gets good grades somehow, and somehow Tomo got into the Azumanga high school, but all three of them do and say stupid things. Maybe Miyako is more of a spaz? I don't remember much about her artwork.

If I have to review season two, I'll try not to take her cheerful naivete for idiocy.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:45 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:
Quote:
Speaking of which, I owe the translator of the Spice and Wolf novels...

Okay, color me curious. How the heck did that come about? Laughing

I know him in real life. He's been playing some oldschool moe game recently and giving me a hard time.

Which game? If it's To Heart, I'm afraid I'm totally on his side. Wink
Vulcannis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm just being too sensitive but lately it seems like every other post, article or podcast that mentions them conflates moe with slice of life. Hidamari Sketch might be a good example of a show fitting both genres, but they are hardly synonyms. Just considering tvtrope's list of slice of life anime, we've got Maison Ikkoku, Planetes, Genshiken... Nor are all moe shows slice of life. It's fine to not like a genre (I find moe a bit stale, myself, and am sympathetic to the whole killing anime argument) but at least get your target right before you start slagging.

Edit: Another thing that confuses me is criticizing slice of life for not having enough plot. Isn't that like criticizing sports for being competitive? Or romance for being emotional? It might be true, but...

Last edited by Vulcannis on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Whoa, whoa, that isn't my blog.

Gah! Mea culpa! Whose is it? Just a blog you like, or someone you know?
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Which game? If it's To Heart, I'm afraid I'm totally on his side. Wink

Wait a minute... it's not old at all!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Look like a Tokimeki game, judging from the art. I highly approve Smile

I also didn't really care for any of the shows this week. I may take a look at Skull Man if I can find it at a cheap price down the road.
Showsni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote
There's a Tokimeki Memorial 4? What do you know, so there is.

Quote:
Sounds just about as successful as my last kitten punting party.

That sounds pretty good, unless they fell in and got wet... Pimms and kittens?
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
mulrich wrote:
I cannot see how in the world you came to the conclusion that Miyako is "the stupid one": Her character is defined as someone who does well on tests and is an excellent artist. She leads an incredibly simple life, and is very straight-forward, cheerful, always hungry and she never has any money.
Miyako reminded me of Phoebe on Friends. Eriko in High School Girls also gets good grades somehow, and somehow Tomo got into the Azumanga high school, but all three of them do and say stupid things. Maybe Miyako is more of a spaz? I don't remember much about her artwork.

The sort of folks who, in Dungeons and Dragons, would have character sheets that said "Intelligence: 17" and "Wisdom: 5".

They exist IRL too... I had a high school classmate who was in the "advanced placement" courses, who decided to have pizza for lunch. At home. Started cooking it before they left for school. Figured they could cook it 6 times as long at 1/6th of the temperature and it would work out. Intelligent but unwise.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Vulcannis wrote:
Maybe I'm just being too sensitive but lately it seems like every other post, article or podcast that mentions them conflates moe with slice of life. Hidamari Sketch might be a good example of a show fitting both genres, but they are hardly synonyms. Just considering tvtrope's list of slice of life anime, we've got Maison Ikkoku, Planetes, Genshiken... Nor are all moe shows slice of life. It's fine to not like a genre (I find moe a bit stale, myself, and am sympathetic to the whole killing anime argument) but at least get your target right before you start slagging.

Edit: Another thing that confuses me is criticizing slice of life for not having enough plot. Isn't that like criticizing sports for being competitive? Or romance for being emotional? It might be true, but...

Vulcannis, I bow to you. Exclamation For whatever reason these genres have been conflated. I personally think the idea of Slice of Life as a genre is an interesting one (particularly in anime, where extended animation of processes, like preparing food, is a non-trivial artistic achievement), but have largely given up on rescuing the genre definition.

BTW, even though I like Slice of Life, I agree that Hidamari is boring. There was some inventive stuff in the way it was animated, and I liked the fact that it tried to be seasonal, but I still won't bother watching the sequel. A better show that tried to do something similar was Sketchbook~fullcolors~.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4