• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam UC Ultimate Swag Giveaway

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metal_Slug

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I want to win. So so badly. -fangirls-
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
I think my answer is pretty logical. I'm talking about the quality that goes into the product itself, not just the nicely encoded video. Booklets, artcards, toys, and all that good stuff collectors want. You remember buying nice chipboard artboxes with pencilboards/booklets and a 75 minute DVD for $45? Our prices used to be wacked out too. I can guarantee you that if you pop in one of those old Geneon shows and compare the picture clarity to a recent FUNi release, the Geneon show would win hands down. Even tiny little gems like inserts or mini posters are a thing of the past. I mean I'm glad everything is so cheap nowadays, but I'd give anything to get the quality level of what we used to have. Of course my opinion is far different from most though... I think all anime there is viewed as collectors items. Not everyone and their mom goes around buying up every show released. I'm more of a quality over quantity kinda dude. Same thing with the car, built with quality in mind.

tempest wrote:

But when it comes to a lot of discs that have the exact same running time, for example a movie, and the same packaging, the Japanese DVDs are still more expensive. A lot of American movies sell in Japan for 50% higher or more than they do in the USA.

Did you read this? And I don't really remember 4 eps and an artbox going for $75 unless you were dumb enough to pay MSRP. Hasn't Best Buy always sold them at around $45?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Where did I say $75? Sometimes the only way to get it was to pay damn near MSRP back in the day. You had to go directly to the source.

I'm just tired of hearing people complain about Japanese prices. I'll admit they are expensive at times, but the craftsmanship that goes into them beat R1s tenfold.

Like check this out. When they announced more Kojika they other day I decided to celebrate by buying the first season. I found the first DVD with the satchel for $50. Comes with a illustration page, booklet, and premium packaging. Have you seen the satchel itself? Absolutely brilliant. And for $50 three years after it went out of print is a steal. The product just screams quality.
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
A myth?? Haha! Ya, come over and I'll pop one in for you then we can compare it to an R1 DVD. We can both stare in awe at the outrageously high bitrate. You're theory on games sounds kinda myth-ish, but I know nothing about games sooo who knows...

Ohhh yeah and don't forget that Japanese still include little artworks and trinkets in their releases. Getting first pressings really appeals to me. I like to collect. Fun things like that died in America when Geneon left.

>_>;; *sigh* I'm a movie buff; I'm a columnist; I'm a film critic, and I'm a DVD critic. Movies, DVDs, Blu-Rays, and everything in--between, that's what I do. That's my shit.

So, when I say that what you're saying is nonsense...it's pretty much nonsense. There is NO SUCH THING as quasi-universal regional pressing quality... Quality entirely depends on the original film masters, the printing equipment, and the software used.

And buddy...what the US and Europe uses....so does Japan! Don't let region locking trick you into thinking otherwise.

So in the end...it all depends on the original masters and the software involved. I will bet you a thousand bucks the R2 release of Avatar looks no different than the R1 release.

This is just some really bizarre form of elitism right now. It's like saying "So we both have the 60GB PS3 model? Well, mine's better because it's white!"

Really, if you wanna pit regional releases against each other in an effort to find superiority, you'd have a much more legit shot at it if your argument was cover art...

Last edited by John Casey on Fri May 14, 2010 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:57 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

>_>;; *sigh* I'm a movie buff; I'm a columnist; I'm a film critic, and I'm a DVD critic. Movies, DVDs, Blu-Rays, and everything in--between, that's what I do. That's my shit.

Is that so? Where can we read your work?
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
John Casey wrote:

Is that so? Where can we read your work?

If I did that, ya'll would know my name.

But, just to silence the naysayers, I used to work on Spill.com. A while, while ago, I worked as an intern there, and upon completing my internship was immediately hired as a columnist. I quit about 8 months ago, and now I just loaf around and help my dad with his business.

The fact is...I'm still a columnist at heart!
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:09 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
A myth?? Haha! Ya, come over and I'll pop one in for you then we can compare it to an R1 DVD. We can both stare in awe at the outrageously high bitrate. You're theory on games sounds kinda myth-ish, but I know nothing about games sooo who knows...

Ohhh yeah and don't forget that Japanese still include little artworks and trinkets in their releases. Getting first pressings really appeals to me. I like to collect. Fun things like that died in America when Geneon left.

So, when I say that what you're saying is nonsense...it's pretty much nonsense. There is NO SUCH THING as quasi-universal regional pressing quality... Quality entirely depends on the original film masters, the printing equipment, and the software used.

And buddy...what the US and Europe uses....so does Japan! Don't let region locking trick you into thinking otherwise.

So in the end...it all depends on the original masters and the software involved. I will bet you a thousand bucks the R2 release of Avatar looks no different than the R1 release.

This is just some really bizarre form of elitism right now. It's like saying "So we both have the 60GB PS3 model? Well, mine's better because it's white!"

Really, if you wanna pit regional releases against each other in an effort to find superiority, you'd have a much more legit shot at it if your argument was cover art...

Ah man there you go again. I'm not the one coming off with the elitist attitude Mr Critic Wink I'm not stupid and know well of the processes involved in DVD production. You also have an entirely wrong impression of me. Japanophile I am not (that's what they call them right?). I've never been one to complain about cover art though. I'm just an average guy that misses little extras with my anime.

Man you argue like my friend. Your name wouldn't happen to be Brett?
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:48 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:

Ah man there you go again. I'm not the one coming off with the elitist attitude Mr Critic Wink

Aha. Reverse psychologification, eh? >:<
luffypirate85 wrote:
You also have an entirely wrong impression of me. Japanophile I am not (that's what they call them right?).

The correct derogatory term in this case is "Weaboo" or "Wapanese." And good - don't be one. Otherwise I'll write your name in my custom made Death Note.

That's right. I'm gonna write your name down on a random piece of paper next to a whole buncha other names! Whacha gonna do about it? >:<

luffypirate85 wrote:
Man you argue like my friend. Your name wouldn't happen to be Brett?

Possibly.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:10 am Reply with quote
I actually was taking this little R1 vs R2 debate seriously...:/ Now I feel like a moron. Weaboo lol. I think I've heard someone refer to Gwen Stefani as one of those. I'm going to tell the principal on your voodoo
ass if you write my name in your Death Note!

Now that I think about it, your grammar is far too good to be Brett. And you don't seem to be a Super Robot War fanatic...
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:51 pm Reply with quote
This is completely OT. If you guys want to continue this debate, start a new thread in the anime forum.

BTW John Casey, we have a long standing rule here (it's not part of "Teh Rules" but it has been posted before) that someone claiming to be an authority has to back it up. They are allowed to do this confidentially by e-mailing me. If you don't prove your professional background, then you don't get to claim superior knowledge. If you send me the proof, I'll add a custom rank to your profile similar to Twitters "verified profile." You can still remain anonymous to other readers.

We instituted this policy because we had both 1) true professionals that were being called liars and 2) liars claiming to be professionals.

-t
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Even though I'm not interested in this particular Gundam anime, I would want it when it comes to the free Give-Away.

So, good luck to everyone entering this contest. Anime smile
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:52 pm Reply with quote
KoujiTamino wrote:
John Casey wrote:
The Blu-Ray disc is ridiculously expensive.

Not really, since it's basically an import that you don't have to jump through hoops to get a hold of. We're paying the same price as the Japanese are, while getting it at the exact same time as they are. For it to be priced like an American release would be like a slap in the face.

Heheh, fans wish to live in Japan the homeland of anime, so they can get everything the same as the Japanese do. Well, at least now they can experience a little of Japan right on their doorstep. Laughing
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Just put down my info, I wouldn't mind getting this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2