• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Brain Diving - Short Term Memory

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
slipperybogle wrote:
I can't claim that I get GitS. I think I've started the movie 3 times without watching the whole thing.

I've only watched the first movie, though I've seen it twice -- once about 10 years ago, and then again a couple months ago. I don't remember what my first impression was anymore, but my recent impression is much like my impression of other Oshii films (Sky Crawlers, Patlabor): amazing visuals, great core philosophical ideas, and vast frontiers of nothing much happening. That last part may be an Eastern cultural sensibility though, an appreciation of space and openness? [Just as long titles, mentioned by Brian in the article, tend to be a staple (in poetry at least).] Whereas in the West we tend to find that too much space often becomes "dead time," a negative.

slipperybogle wrote:
It'd also be great if Brian could give us a broad overview of the field in terms of who the major players are, where things get published, and what sorts of things people are studying. But I guess that's sort of the point of the column.

I'm curious about this too. If no overview is planned, maybe a couple general links at least to help us see the playing field a bit better?

All I'm really familiar with in English is the Academic Journal coming out of Minnesota, Mechademia.
slipperybogle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
gartholamundi wrote:
I've only watched the first movie, though I've seen it twice -- once about 10 years ago, and then again a couple months ago. I don't remember what my first impression was anymore, but my recent impression is much like my impression of other Oshii films (Sky Crawlers, Patlabor): amazing visuals, great core philosophical ideas, and vast frontiers of nothing much happening. That last part may be an Eastern cultural sensibility though, an appreciation of space and openness?

There was definitely an issue for me, with GitS, of it being preceded too much by its reputation. I personally don't know enough to say whether those are cultural sensibilities or Oshii specific. But in addition to the points you mentioned he definitely seems to go for the strong emotionally reserved female leads.

I loved Sky Crawlers though, mostly because there are so few anime that feature aerial dogfighting (also liked the DVD extras alot, as when Oshii nearly buys out an entire Polish bookstore). And I guess, with respect to the column, it's sort of the opposite situation, being a derivative work from a popular series of novels. In general, It'll be interesting to see how the whole "light novel" thing is handled in upcoming columns. It'd be interesting to know how they go over in Japan in literary terms.
Ian K

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:43 pm Reply with quote
The way I interpreted both Ghost in the Shell and The Sky Crawlers was that Oshii was trying to recreate the emotional states of the characters in the audience - except instead of doing it by having the characters be very expressive and relateable, he does it through pacing, music, and atmosphere. It's a different approach, and I like it, as well as Oshii's gift of evocative imagery. On the other hand, I feel like the rambling, long-winded dialogue he writes doesn't actually say that much (controversial opinion here), though I'm not sure if that's a weakness or an intentional artistic choice.

The Sky Crawlers is very slowly paced with "vast frontiers of nothing much happening" to represent the limbo of fighting in an endless war. In Ghost in the Shell, the feeling I got was one of extreme isolation, representing Kusanagi's sense of disconnection to the human race. Her casual nudity (which was simple fanservice in the original manga) is here a reflection of that disconnect - why should she exhibit modesty if she doesn't have a human body? Heck, the scuba diving scene shows she's borderline-suicidal. This mindset explains shy she would spoiler[be willing to sacrifice her identity at the end and merge with the Puppet Master - she feels stuck in a meaningless existence].

Of course, this is just my opinion, and I have no idea if it remotely reflects Oshii's artistic intent, but I like it and I'm sticking to it.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Ian K wrote:
The way I interpreted both Ghost in the Shell and The Sky Crawlers was that Oshii was trying to recreate the emotional states of the characters in the audience - except instead of doing it by having the characters be very expressive and relateable, he does it through pacing, music, and atmosphere. ...

Of course, this is just my opinion, and I have no idea if it remotely reflects Oshii's artistic intent, but I like it and I'm sticking to it.

I like the way you're thinking about Oshii the films, too. Reading what you've said here helps me expand the way I've been thinking about the films, even where we disagree.

Ian K wrote:
...instead of doing it by having the characters be very expressive and relateable, he does it through pacing, music, and atmosphere. It's a different approach, and I like it, as well as Oshii's gift of evocative imagery.

that Oshii evocative imagery is one of the total high-points for me in his films. love it.

Ian K wrote:
The Sky Crawlers is very slowly paced with "vast frontiers of nothing much happening" to represent the limbo of fighting in an endless war.

yea, i got that. after maybe 20 or 30 minutes i'd had enough of it, too. i mean, i did like the slow realization the audience has that the characters are stuck in a bleak, nearly Nietzschean time loop. and everything looks beautiful. but move the story ... somewhere. all the many good qualities of The Sky Crawlers didn't stop me from nearly nodding off more than once. for me staying awake during the film became almost as endless, faux-epic, and pointless of a battle as the "actual" battles onscreen.

normally i like long, slow, thoughtful film. Baraka (which has no dialog at all, and arguably no characters) is one of my top 3 favorite films of all time, and i've seen it about 10 times at least. but Oshii keeps missing something, and while i can't completely put my finger on what it is, he's got me to the point where i've nearly given up on him. nearly.

but he holds so much promise for me, and his storytelling is so inline with my own worldview that i keep ... hoping.

Ian K wrote:
On the other hand, I feel like the rambling, long-winded dialogue he writes doesn't actually say that much ...

the 2-4 minute long directly philosophical dialog pieces inside his films are a big part of what keep me coming back.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
This book sounds interesting to me. I've always wondered how cyberbrains and mechanical bodies impact regular day activities. Section 9 represents the elite, so it's hard to judge what regular people do.

For instance, how do you administer an exam to students when they literally have computers in their heads? Do they know the information, or was it stored on a hard drive?
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
... it's hard to judge what regular people do.

For instance, how do you administer an exam to students when they literally have computers in their heads? Do they know the information, or was it stored on a hard drive?

Certainly makes rote-learning obsolete, which has always been over-rated anyway.

While "applied" learning skills still have a chance to shine, if students are plugged continuously into the Wired a new definition of what knowledge is (and what learning is) would probably be necessary. Datamining and Data-verification become superimportant, things like that.

Having a family that's nearly entirely in the education field I'm curious about this too ... there are endless ramifications ...
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:12 pm Reply with quote
gartholamundi wrote:
but he holds so much promise for me, and his storytelling is so inline with my own worldview that i keep ... hoping.

If you are not averse to sharing it, might I ask what this worldview involves? More relevantly, how might it be compared to Oshii's storytelling, as opposed to the content of the premises implicit in several of his films?

It seems somewhat odd, prima facie, to suggest that a set of beliefs and practices can be markedly similar to a manner of expounding a fiction. The two things — in the broadest sense of the term "thing" — seem to be of quite dissimilar sorts.

One can understand (but also caution) adhering to the ideas upon which Ghost in the Shell is constructed, to use an obvious example, though I presume you wish to speak of a personal connection to his films that is less straightforward than this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kitsune-chan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
I always wondered why the fans had such a hard time translating Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles so it's interesting to hear that CLAMP was messing around with the language as well as everything else. Now that I know that's even possible in Japanese it would be cool to see other manga-ka do it for all sorts of weird interpretation.

Hi! I'm the author of Painting Worlds and Words. First off, thank you for mentioning my article. It's nice to know that someone out there read it. Anime smallmouth

In response to wandering-dreamer's comment, the technique (known colloquially as ateji) is in fact used in some form or another in nearly all manga. CLAMP's uses, though, are some of the most systematic and creative of those works I have studied. It can also be seen in Japanese novels, and references to it go back to the Edo period, although it is entirely possible that the technique dates back earlier than that. I wrote another paper that deals with how the technique is used across 6 different manga magazines (each in a different genre and totaling 123 different works), if anyone's interested.

In terms of manga studies in Japan, you should look at Seika University and the Kyoto International Manga Museum. (They're actually partners.) Seika had the first, and still one of the only, manga studies programs in Japan, and they have a number of very knowledgeable professors who write very intriguing works. I actually got to audit a class there while I was studying abroad and it was fascinating.

The discussion of Ghost in the Shell is always an intriguing one. Susan Napier makes some very interesting arguments. I wrote a paper a couple of months ago examining the nature of reflection as a means of examining reality versus the vision of reality we produce in our minds. In that sense, the body become even less important, literally vanishing in many scenes of the movie. We know that it's there, particularly in the water fight scene where Kusanagi's shadow is clear even. Here the body is only seen through the unforgiving reflection of reality in the water, whereas without this reflection (i.e. through the viewer's eyes) the character's form has effectively vanished. One could argue, as has been done above, that this is due to the irrelevance of the body due to its mechanic and inhuman nature.

Last edited by Kitsune-chan on Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
gartholamundi wrote:

If you are not averse to sharing it, might I ask what this worldview involves? More relevantly, how might it be compared to Oshii's storytelling, as opposed to the content of the premises implicit in several of his films?

By "worldview" I only meant a couple of fairly broad things -- That Oshii tends to look at the world from a philosophically questioning perspective, and that he tends to use his storytelling skills to ask questions about identity, morality, and social systems. Those very broad things in and of themselves are not so often directly addressed by much of the anime that tends to get made as far as I can tell, and so I'm appreciative and hopeful when Oshii has new material out. My hope always is that his philosophical side and his storytelling side will balance each other out. For me, they often don't balance very well, but they show far more promise than many others.
Kitsune-chan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:57 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

It seems somewhat odd, prima facie, to suggest that a set of beliefs and practices can be markedly similar to a manner of expounding a fiction. The two things — in the broadest sense of the term "thing" — seem to be of quite dissimilar sorts.

I would disagree that the two would necessarily, even at first glace, be assumed to be irreconcilable. Reality it, after all, a product of our understanding of it, and I would argue that by the very nature of their presumed disconnect from reality, fiction has the potential to represent an interpretation of reality not unlike out own struggles at understanding reality. Through examining the self and identity of the cyborg with the supposedly human brain, the director is able to force the viewer to question their own definition of self.

Another example would be in Mononoke Hime [Princess Mononoke], in which Miyazaki presents a battle between nature and man, while at the same time proposing that, as in Ashitaka's Emishi people, a balance between man and nature is possible. This is a metaphor that speaks to our own understandings of civilization and nature, and the relationship between the two as either being inherently confrontational or potentially symbiotic. While a fantasy work, it still allows us to examine our own understanding of this relationship.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:55 am Reply with quote
Kitsune-chan wrote:
I wrote a paper a couple of months ago examining the nature of reflection as a means of examining reality versus the vision of reality we produce in our minds. In that sense, the body become even less important, literally vanishing in many scenes of the movie. We know that it's there, particularly in the water fight scene where Kusanagi's shadow is clear even. Here the body is only seen through the unforgiving reflection of reality in the water, whereas without this reflection (i.e. through the viewer's eyes) the character's form has effectively vanished. One could argue, as has been done above, that this is due to the irrelevance of the body due to its mechanic and inhuman nature.

THAT is a fascinating way of seeing it. Is your reflection paper available to read online?

I'm reminded of the 1-minute long Satoshi Kon video where the woman wakes up "twice" in the morning and ends up looking into the mirror before saying "hello." (I saw it for the first time earlier this week and it keeps "echoing" in my waking consciousness.) There's a way of viewing that piece in which we can then imagine our own lives are full of the "ghosts" (or reflections) of ourselves at earlier times.

An example with clear boundaries might be how we perceive ourselves at various ages -- those being one type of "ghost" self, or another example might be how people sometimes think and feel differently about themselves before and after a traumatic event. Afterwards the earlier version of the self is like an echo or reflection inside the new or current self, but the current self may feel very different or even alienated from the earlier self after the trauma. (A victim of extreme violence, say, may feel the person they were before was naive, yet the "naive self" is still a part of the current one.)
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:04 am Reply with quote
I'm confused.

I'm very excited about the prospect of an intellectual/academic approach to analyzing manga and anime in the form of a new column. In fact, I've been studying anime/manga on a "scholarly" level in college myself while in America and Japan, so I'm interested in other people's analyses of them. However . . . this article just seemed like a sort of general book review to me Confused. It will be interesting to see if it is the same every week or if we do get some scholarly analysis.

At any rate, yay for a new type of column!
torinostu351

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't normally post in the forums, but wanted to pass along that I enjoyed the article and will look forward to reading it in the future. For an initial dive, it may still seem like a column searching for an identity but that will come with time.

I was particularly excited because I've read the GitS SAC books and feel like this part of the market gets lost in the midst of anime, manga and (to a lesser degree these days) collectibles.

A sure fire way to get me to read a new column is to make it about Ghost in the Shell.
feynico

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Kitsune-chan wrote:
I wrote another paper that deals with how the technique is used across 6 different manga magazines (each in a different genre and totaling 123 different works), if anyone's interested.

I'm interested! Is it online anywhere?

And, Brian Ruh, you mentioned, "an anime / manga studies mailing list I'm on"; care to say which one? There are so many forums/mailing lists/etc that it's hard to weed out the really useful ones sometimes.
Kitsune-chan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quote
gartholamundi wrote:

THAT is a fascinating way of seeing it. Is your reflection paper available to read online?

I'm reminded of the 1-minute long Satoshi Kon video where the woman wakes up "twice" in the morning and ends up looking into the mirror before saying "hello." (I saw it for the first time earlier this week and it keeps "echoing" in my waking consciousness.) There's a way of viewing that piece in which we can then imagine our own lives are full of the "ghosts" (or reflections) of ourselves at earlier times.

An example with clear boundaries might be how we perceive ourselves at various ages -- those being one type of "ghost" self, or another example might be how people sometimes think and feel differently about themselves before and after a traumatic event. Afterwards the earlier version of the self is like an echo or reflection inside the new or current self, but the current self may feel very different or even alienated from the earlier self after the trauma. (A victim of extreme violence, say, may feel the person they were before was naive, yet the "naive self" is still a part of the current one.)

The paper is not currently online, but Feynico also expressed interest in another of my papers, so I'll try and put them up somewhere this weekend and post the link. Anime smallmouth

That piece by Satoshi Kon sounds fascinating. I will have to look it up.

In terms of the argument about the different versions of the self, it reminds me of the episode of Cowboy Bebop where Faye sees the video message she recorded for herself. She is struck by this little girl who wonders about her future self, and reminds her that she will always be a part of her. And yet, Faye cannot remember this part of her self, and the video that is supposed to tell her more about herself and her origins, serves instead to alienate her from herself. It always makes me cry. ;.;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3