• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just sell?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricDent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Well since I needed some $, I decided to sell about a dozen books (mostly paperback, with 3 hardcovers), 2 PS2 games (We Love Katamari, & Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist of the Roses), a DS game (Layton's latest game), and Koi Kaze (the 3 individual discs, which are all out of print).

I only got $14 for the lot at Half-Price Books. I sometimes wonder if they even look if stuff is "hard to find". Plus the DS game is really recent, and probably worth at least that much by itself.

Plus I still see bootlegs at Half-Price like almost constantly.

I think they were trying to rush the sale, since there was a rather long line of people wanting to sell by the time I left. I was almost tempted to leave myself, but I stuck it out.

BTW the reason I got rid of Koi Kaze, is that I felt that it was not that good. Plus the subject matter was a bit outside my normal interests. Maybe if the girl was a bit more closer to the age of the main guy, it may have been interesting.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:

Plus I still see bootlegs at Half-Price like almost constantly.

Theres a Devilman boot collection at my local Half-Price. It's priced $99.99 and says "OUT OF PRINT" on the tag (lol) Whoever turned that in must have got some damn good credit.
AJMkarate717

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quote
It's a sealed copy of Vol. 1 + Artbox. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to stumble across the complete series. Sounds like a good plan, though. I hope I can get some good money off of it. Very Happy Gotta love those convention bargain items. Media Blasters sold it to me, of all companies! O_o

Rukiia wrote:
AJMkarate717 wrote:
Now I just need to wait for the right time to sell that Paranoia Agent artbox... Very Happy

Is it just the artbox with a single volume or the complete series with the artbox that you are planning to sell? If you have the entire series w/artbox I have seen it go up to $100 on ebay as its OOP. My suggestion is to put it up for sale in December as people are looking to spend their money for X-mas gifts. I sold some OOP anime titles last December and made almost $800 in profits. Smile
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:33 pm Reply with quote
It seems that every time I go to trade in old DVDs for cash, anime always bring back the lowest returns. Most used DVD stores don't even accept anime anymore. I am guessing anime doesn't do too well on ebay either,, unless the anime in question is extremely rare and out of print (i.e. uncut ADV and Pioneer Sailor Moon TV sets) you can't get much back for most used anime.

Something is seriously wrong when you get more money back for a used copy of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (which you can find anywhere) than you could get for an ENTIRE SEASON SET of Last Exile!

Best bet would be to wait until the anime industry goes extinct, let the retailers throw out their backlog of unsold anime DVDs in a sandpit in Mexico and then wait about 50 years until a bunch of collectors bump up the demand by wanting to check out that "anime stuff back when it still existed."
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:40 am Reply with quote
For the first time I'm actually seriously considering selling some of my stuff. Obviously it wont be any of my rare stuff, but just the stuff I didn't like. I know I've said in the past that all shows have some rewatch value, but I'd like to amend that statement to: All shows you like to some degree have rewatch value.

However, the problem that occurs is that most of the shows I'd sell are kind of like trophies. For example, I will never watch Captain Tylor ever again and I've stated why before, but for whatever reason the rest of the world thinks it's a classic, which makes it a good trophy. Miyuki-chan in Wonderland is another one because 1) Not a lot of people actually do own it and 2) It's also pretty unknown, and I like me some obscurity. Then there's 009-1, but it has the cool briefcase tin container. There's also Aria, and even though I've only watched the first episode, I don't think I can manage to watch a show that's all about talking sub-only (at least nowadays), but I think if do summon the strength I'll like it. The list just goes on and on, too.

Oh, what a conundrum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:45 am Reply with quote
I just sold the first ADV brickset of Princess Tutu since I recently acquired DVD 1 thereby completing my singles collection. Didn't feel the need to have 2 copies of the series (at least not with one of them being that very hideous brick), so I off-loaded it on Amazon and it sold fairly quickly.

I also just had someone buy my Tokyo Mew Mew v. 7. That'll get tossed in the mail tomorrow.

Amazon takes a big bite of commission, but I'm still getting more for everything than I would have just taking it to Half Price Books. Of course, that means it has to sit around until they sell, which is a disadvantage, but I'm not willing to take $.50/volume when I know I could get around $2/volume after commission on Amazon.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
For the first time I'm actually seriously considering selling some of my stuff. Obviously it wont be any of my rare stuff, but just the stuff I didn't like. I know I've said in the past that all shows have some rewatch value, but I'd like to amend that statement to: All shows you like to some degree have rewatch value.

However, the problem that occurs is that most of the shows I'd sell are kind of like trophies. For example, I will never watch Captain Tylor ever again and I've stated why before, but for whatever reason the rest of the world thinks it's a classic, which makes it a good trophy. Miyuki-chan in Wonderland is another one because 1) Not a lot of people actually do own it and 2) It's also pretty unknown, and I like me some obscurity. Then there's 009-1, but it has the cool briefcase tin container. There's also Aria, and even though I've only watched the first episode, I don't think I can manage to watch a show that's all about talking sub-only (at least nowadays), but I think if do summon the strength I'll like it. The list just goes on and on, too.

Oh, what a conundrum.

Dude its rough. You gotta just sit down and really think about it. Make a list. Some of my favorites I'll probably never sell are Cardcaptor Sakura (unless I can somehow put together some money for the Blu-ray), Evangelion Platinum, Super Robot Wars, Paradise Kiss etc. I realized that sooo much of my stuff has little to no rewatch value or is outdated (eg: got rid of my Shana singles for the complete box) I'm attempting to slowly sell off my other Geneon shows that have thinpacks and purchase those for a deal. My shelves were really getting out of hand with those huge artboxes (Almost 1000 DVD's taking up my entire wall. So many weird ass boxes that don't fit) I weeded out about 75 shows that absolutely must go and am in the process of selling them. I'm getting some pretty good cash from local sales too. I'd recommend trying to sell locally before eBay also. The fees on that site can really rack up (and PayPal fees as well). Good luck man.

Mylene wrote:

Amazon takes a big bite of commission, but I'm still getting more for everything than I would have just taking it to Half Price Books. Of course, that means it has to sit around until they sell, which is a disadvantage, but I'm not willing to take $.50/volume when I know I could get around $2/volume after commission on Amazon.

I've been getting really good money at FYE. Around $3.25ish trade, $2.25 cash in hand per disc. It might be because of the season or something but you should try it out.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:34 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
I've been getting really good money at FYE. Around $3.25ish trade, $2.25 cash in hand per disc. It might be because of the season or something but you should try it out.

That's for anime though, not manga, right? I can get at least that much if not more selling through Amazon (and I don't have to brave the mall. Smile) Although if that's a manga price, it's much more interesting.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Oh, what a conundrum.

Indeed- I've certainly got a show or two I'm keeping for the sake of bragging rights, as opposed to personal interest. I'm not in the market to sell anything just now, since I sat down with pen, paper, and the IKEA catalog and maximized my storage space a couple years ago- I've still got some time to go before DVD storage becomes an issue again (games and print goods, though- different issue. Should be fine once I replace the box that once held the SJ magazines and rearrange things, though.)

I do know, though, what I'm going to do when I hit that point- I'm going to start off by simply setting a price. I'm sure there's a dollar amount where money trumphs trophies- figure out what it is and see if you can get that much. At the very least, you can see how likely it is you'll be selling or if you need to just get more shelving.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My shelves were really getting out of hand with those huge artboxes (Almost 1000 DVD's taking up my entire wall.

I fear that day. I have an unhealthy obsession with art boxes and I think they'll be my eventual downfall, at least as far as space goes. I keep telling myself that getting another shelf or two is easy, but I'm just lying to myself.

Quote:
I'm getting some pretty good cash from local sales too. I'd recommend trying to sell locally before eBay also. The fees on that site can really rack up (and PayPal fees as well). Good luck man.

Yea, I'm thinking about selling on Craigslist first and if it doesn't work there then I'll go to the Personal Sale section and update my little "store" there.

I'll start with the stuff I have extras of like Saber Marionette J and maybe, hopefully the random volume one singles I have from purchasing art boxes after already having the complete singles. Here's to hoping there's another collector near me willing to be my dump off guy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

That's for anime though, not manga, right? I can get at least that much if not more selling through Amazon (and I don't have to brave the mall. Smile) Although if that's a manga price, it's much more interesting.

Anime. All of the shows I have that are worth value I'd sell through eBay or Amazon. It's only good if the shows are worthless otherwise (like if you know you will only get pennies elsewhere) Should have added that in.

The King of Harts wrote:
Quote:
My shelves were really getting out of hand with those huge artboxes (Almost 1000 DVD's taking up my entire wall.

I fear that day. I have an unhealthy obsession with art boxes and I think they'll be my eventual downfall, at least as far as space goes. I keep telling myself that getting another shelf or two is easy, but I'm just lying to myself.

Yeah I used to be all about having a big huge artbox filled collection but now I'm for a cleaner more conservative looking shelf. That Shana thinpack uses so much less space and looks a lot better!

The King of Harts wrote:
Quote:
I'm getting some pretty good cash from local sales too. I'd recommend trying to sell locally before eBay also. The fees on that site can really rack up (and PayPal fees as well). Good luck man.

Yea, I'm thinking about selling on Craigslist first and if it doesn't work there then I'll go to the Personal Sale section and update my little "store" there.

I'll start with the stuff I have extras of like Saber Marionette J and maybe, hopefully the random volume one singles I have from purchasing art boxes after already having the complete singles. Here's to hoping there's another collector near me willing to be my dump off guy.

I posted an add about three weeks ago and I'm still getting email from it. I'm guessing like 10 requests for my list a week. I've made about $600 since then Smile
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:38 am Reply with quote
Sold my Saikano manga set. More like traded but it's pretty much the same time. I quite liked the deal I worked out with it, the whole set gets to stay together after all.

Unfortunately I did what I call a "trade fail", I want to take in less manga than I send out, that didn't seem to happen here....I already have space issues, this isn't helping! I feel like I just got that bookshelf after Otakon (which I did) but then I suddenly realized that my shelves got a net gain of about 50 manga and this is before my big holiday order Shocked used stores will do that to you. I think these shelves will be totally out of room at about the 650-700 mark.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:44 am Reply with quote
Sold my Last Exile and Gakuen Alice DVD sets for $20 each on Craigslist. I'm waiting (patiently) for a review on that Blu-ray before I decide on that or the Range Murata set for my collection. That old box took up too much space. I'll never watch Gakuen Alice again so it was easy to party with. Pretty good sell since I originally bought it for $20ish a couple months back.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:59 am Reply with quote
I recently Sold my complete collection of Death Note manga for about $31

The Complete collection of Wild Adapter all 6 volumes that are available here in the U.S. Sold for about $28

And Sold my complete collection of Battle Royale all 15 volumes for $65

I sold these all on ebay.

I needed to clear alot of shelf space and since I have been buying much more anime lately. I still do have my incomplete manga sets or books that i really love to read and able to read again and again. With the titles I sold were great and all but after the ending really there is no need to re read them again since the mystery is already spoiled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SDAnimeFan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
My Rayearth complete set, I am replacing it with the remastered sets.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10