• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Edit List - Fullmetal Alchemist Episodes 1-4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hkrok76

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:49 pm Reply with quote
people, it's an edit list, he listed the edits. that's all. why not focus on the fact that the edit list shows that fma is unedited, rejoice in this news.
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:59 pm Reply with quote
If there's song change, then the edit's from TV broadcast.

But now I need to go watch the DVD again to see what was the deal with the title change.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
midori kou

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit confused with the whole Melissa OP1 thingy. Are you referring to all four episodes or just episode one? I know for original episode one of FMA when it was broadcasted in Japan, there was no opening to begin with.

About the whole title edit, I shouldn't be overly concern about it. It's kinda a minor thing. It was probably done just to fit the title on one line or something. A person should worry if they changed "Those Who Challenge The Sun" to "It's Getting Hot, Hot, Hot!!!" or something really off. Anyone who have watched Digimon dub would know what I'm talking about cliche titles.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Let me know when they start callin Al a Robot, and all alchemists magic line-artists, turn the story about a coming of age saga in the backdrop of a massive war amongst culturally different races into that of being the best magic-line artist in all the land, remove any trace of blood, and somehow make Black Hayate talk like pikachu and then I'll get upset.

Actually, that sounds pretty funny,.
patch

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:20 pm Reply with quote
CaptainRisu

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:21 pm Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
I know for original episode one of FMA when it was broadcasted in Japan, there was no opening to begin with.

no, the opening was simply shown at the end of that episode.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:58 pm Reply with quote
patch wrote:

Give me a break. It's bad enough that there's no pleasing some people, but some of those people who are never pleased have to cram it down everyone else's throats.

I'm appauled that there are more websites devoted to exposing FUNimation's "bastardization" of Fullmetal Alchemist than there are sites criticizing 4Kids' treatment of One Piece.
Brakus

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:01 am Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
I'm a bit confused with the whole Melissa OP1 thingy. Are you referring to all four episodes or just episode one? I know for original episode one of FMA when it was broadcasted in Japan, there was no opening to begin with.

The intro to Episode 1 is creditless, something which is not found on the DVDs. Episode 1 ends with the last half minute or so from the Melissa OP but has "Ready Steady Go" as the music.

The Ready Steady Go OP as shown on Cartoon Network is also creditless. And as explained before FMA was even first shown, the OP on Cartoon Network will ALWAYS be "Ready Steady Go" because of the publicity deal Aniplex (and Sony Music)'s has with Funimation regarding broadcasts of FMA.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:30 am Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:

I'm appauled that there are more websites devoted to exposing FUNimation's "bastardization" of Fullmetal Alchemist than there are sites criticizing 4Kids' treatment of One Piece.

Well because One Piece is One Piece....of Crap.
coldfusion5050

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:57 am Reply with quote
Brakus wrote:

The Ready Steady Go OP as shown on Cartoon Network is also creditless. And as explained before FMA was even first shown, the OP on Cartoon Network will ALWAYS be "Ready Steady Go" because of the publicity deal Aniplex (and Sony Music)'s has with Funimation regarding broadcasts of FMA.

Crying or Very sad They are not going to show "Rewrite"? Crying or Very sad That was the best opening.

And as for the edits, I am pleased and not going to bother arguing English lessons when it comes to the title.
BeyonderZ

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:24 am Reply with quote
For those that like to complain about the people that point out edits in what ever form the anime/manga is shown. You need to understand thats exactly what should be done when it's edited. If you don't catch them or you don't care enough to say some thing then the next batch of edits will be worse. If they feel they can get away with it the edits will continue.
Can you imagine how FuNi would be editing their releases if for years DBZ fans hadn't been going on and on about those terrible edits.
If they [FUNi or any Distro company] were not held at some kind of standard when talking about edits, then there is no telling in what form our anime would be released on DVD to us.
Izlude

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:51 am Reply with quote
I was expecting a list of content edits, not title edits. But an edit is an edit, right? Ethier way, you cant argue that FMA is Adult Swim's best series thus far.
patch

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:27 am Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
patch wrote:

Give me a break. It's bad enough that there's no pleasing some people, but some of those people who are never pleased have to cram it down everyone else's throats.

Did you actually check the site?

Actually i found that you see how insignificant some of the changes listed are, and if you do go through them you will only notice that there were minor cuts in 3 out of the 26 episodes, one of them being only for time. Find it interesting to check out to see what [adult swim] feels is appropriate and what isn't, suprisingly for the most part they left the series as is.
Just Some Guy

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:41 am Reply with quote
I don't buy that this is an "edit". Look at how quickly the turn around for getting the show on Cartoon Network is. They clearly got an early version of the translation which was tweaked slightly before the DVD release. It's a difference certainly but one that's explained by trying to get the show on the air as fast as possible rather than any intentional change pushed by the network.
Erufu

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:11 pm Reply with quote
So, I know that the TV broadcast of FMA doesn't use the original opening and ending songs, but do the DVDs include what was broadcast on Japanese TV?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4