• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media's Neon Alley to Stream Accel World Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
sukisho wrote:
partysmores wrote:
Are we not even gonna try to get this good show on Toonami? No? Suit yourself, Viz. Evil or Very Mad

Toonami is still a limited experiment. They have to have the money themselves in order to pick up some of these shows, it's not really the companies that try to get them on there.

It's still entirely possible that it could appear on Toonami, given that Bleach (coming soon) and Naruto air on Neon Alley, too, though likely after or well into its NA run (to avoid audience cut-in).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HybridMedia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:
potatochobit wrote:

anyway, who cares about neon alley. PS3 will be dead by the end of 2013. just release some blurays sometime soon.

Aside from the fact that Sony only recently ceased manufacturing the PS2, it isn't as if all the PS3's currently in use are going to cease working the day Sony releases the next Playstation.

On top of that, Neon Alley's coming to the Xbox 360, too, so I imagine it's doing well enough and getting enough requests to warrant an expansion in coverage. Viz Media has done a pretty good job with the channel, thus far, IMO…

More likely than not, Bang Zoom! will do Accel World, but I would personally like to see this or some other new Viz titles down the line be done by Ocean. I miss their pool of talent and they haven't been used very much in the last few years. It would be a nice change of pace from L.A.'s own (as good as they and BZ! are).

I think Studiopolis might do the dub considering they are frequent with Viz than Bang Zoom but given that Viz, Aniplex & Sentai (sometimes for the latter two) are their last choices, Bang Zoom is the clear cut winner although Ocean Group should handle some dubs especially after Inuyasha: The Final Act.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:
Pray to the utmost high for a recording by Studiopolis, Bang Zoom or return of Ocean Studio without the help of some except Carol Anne Daye

So, the only company Viz uses that you don't want is Blue Water? Well, that's alright.

partysmores wrote:
Are we not even gonna try to get this good show on Toonami? No? Suit yourself, Viz. Evil or Very Mad

Viz has already said that the existence of Neon Alley won't prevent their shows from airing on other networks. The problem is Toonami isn't 24/7, and there's no guarantee they'd want what Viz is selling.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm really not interested in Neon Alley, but I do hope Viz is able to do well and pump out more dubs with it. With Bandai gone, the more work that Bang Zoom gets the better. Really like the talent they have over there.
StormSky92

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
kotelocl wrote:
StormSky92 wrote:
...I'm not a SAO "fanboy", but it was better than Accel World....

Because people died, right? 2edgy4me

It made the story a hell of lot more interesting. Brain Burst had pretty much no risk involved. Every single character in the show took the game WAY too seriously. They acted like their life depended on it, but it really didn't. Unless they told other players, no one in the game even knew who each other was. Plus, I hated must of the AW characters. The only one I liked was the Sky Laker chick and the motorcycle guy. Fat and whiny protagonist, typical childhood friend setup among the main three, and like i've said, weak second season villain.

SAO also had a weak second season, but the first was more interesting. I like those characters, especially Sachi. It should of focused more on the SAO like the light novels did. (Light Novel > Anime)

At least i'm providing more than a single sentence to my arguments.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Unrelated question, but why does everybody always refer to Bang Zoom as if they're the only ADR studio in LA?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
I'm really not interested in Neon Alley, but I do hope Viz is able to do well and pump out more dubs with it. With Bandai gone, the more work that Bang Zoom gets the better. Really like the talent they have over there.

Yeah, I'm subscribing but that's one of the most important parts in that hopefully this is continuing to help create more dubs from Viz, I'm already preordered with a bunch of the upcoming new BDs.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
StormSky92 wrote:
It should of focused more on the SAO like the light novels did. (Light Novel > Anime)

At least i'm providing more than a single sentence to my arguments.

Haha. Thats funny.

Accel World has a myriad of flaws, but its much, much better than Sword Art Online. It shows a distinct improvement in Kawahara Reki's writing (from abysmal to just mediocre) and has characters who's actions make sense in context.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Accel World has a myriad of flaws, but its much, much better than Sword Art Online. It shows a distinct improvement in Kawahara Reki's writing (from abysmal to just mediocre) and has characters who's actions make sense in context.

Yes, I agree with this.

Maybe I owe Reki an apology for calling him a hack, because Accel World shows that he does have potential to write some decent stuff. Haru's character development is quite respectable and he's a lot more relatable than Gary Stu Kirito ever was, the supporting cast are actually important and - gasp - get to do stuff, the world-building is a lot more consistent, and Black Lotus is way cooler and more sympathetic than Princess Peach Asuna ever was.

Like you say, Accel World does have its flaws, and the entire second half of the show was weaker than the first. Similar to Sword Art Online, it had an over-the-top insane villain who made crazy faces, and a deus ex machina ending. Even so, it wasn't the trainwreck that Sword Art Online's second half was, which shows how successful the Nega Nebulus characters were at holding things together.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
while I really dont know how I feel about Haru, I do prefer Accel World a bit more than SAO depending on the arc.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Like you say, Accel World does have its flaws, and the entire second half of the show was weaker than the first. Similar to Sword Art Online, it had an over-the-top insane villain who made crazy faces, and a deus ex machina ending. Even so, it wasn't the trainwreck that Sword Art Online's second half was, which shows how successful the Nega Nebulus characters were at holding things together.

I wouldn't call the end of Accel World's second half a Deus ex Machina. It was a given from the start that Kuroyukihime's return would solve the issue, and we even had an entire (and much better) sub-arc where she got what it was she used to make her grand return.

The big problem was that Noumi was a terrible villain (for the same reasons and Sugou) and it was demonstrated that on their own Haru and Taku are completely useless, and Chiyu's just barely better.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:31 am Reply with quote
I wasn't talking about Black Lotus, I was referring to spoiler[Chiyo's previously unannounced ability to rewind effects and make it so that Noumi stealing the wings never happened.] While it was kind of cool, it came out of nowhere, and when I watched the second-to-last episode of Sword Art Online I was reminded of what happened in Accel World.
superdry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I wasn't talking about Black Lotus, I was referring to spoiler[Chiyo's previously unannounced ability to rewind effects and make it so that Noumi stealing the wings never happened.] While it was kind of cool, it came out of nowhere, and when I watched the second-to-last episode of Sword Art Online I was reminded of what happened in Accel World.

I thought that was more of a misunderstanding of her powers. spoiler[There was only one healer before she came about and her powers looked like healing, but in reality weren't. I think she figured it out as she was using it, but kept it a secret from Noumi due to the fact she was going to double-cross him]
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:58 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Nah, that seemed pretty reasonable to me. Its a completely valid explanation for her powers, and didn't contradict anything she previously did, so I had no issues with that.

A show is not compelled to give you a complete rundown on everything the first time it appeared.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:05 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
I thought that was more of a misunderstanding of her powers. spoiler[There was only one healer before she came about and her powers looked like healing, but in reality weren't. I think she figured it out as she was using it, but kept it a secret from Noumi due to the fact she was going to double-cross him]

Yes, she did spoiler[realise what was going on and kept it secret from Noumi, using him to level herself up. That's why she asked Haru to trust her in the final battle. But it still felt like an arsepull, to me at least. True, it wasn't as bad as the stunt Sword Art Online pulled with spoiler[Kayaba granting Kirito super-admin powers; a literal deus ex machina.] However I would have appreciated there being some proper foreshadowing, maybe a scene where Chiyo notices something odd about her powers.]

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Nah, that seemed pretty reasonable to me. Its a completely valid explanation for her powers, and didn't contradict anything she previously did, so I had no issues with that.

But spoiler[rewind time?] Seriously? While consistent with what we'd previously seen, it just came out of nowhere. spoiler[Healing] is already an amazing game-breaking power, but this is just crazy-powerful. Plus it provided an all-too convenient way to spoiler[get Haru's wings back.]

Fencedude5609 wrote:
A show is not compelled to give you a complete rundown on everything the first time it appeared.

I never said it had to. I just prefer that shows not wait until their final episode before revealing something like that, especially with no foreshadowing.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3