• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shonen Jump Launches 3-Language Manga Contest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Watts

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
It's times like these that I wish I could draw. :s Maybe I can team up with someone who can, and they'll do the art! Are teams allowed?

Either way, this looks like a great and unique competition!

If they do offer teams, I'd like to team up with you (or anyone else?) I can draw but I'm not great at making stories for one-shots. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop If teams aren't allowed, I'll still hand in something. It seems like fun.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
So ANYONE could enter? I don't think my art skills are enough to par to win this sort of competition but I think I'll work on something just for the heck of it! Also it will be pretty interesting to see what the readers will think of a U.S.A. won manga since what shonen Jump fans on both sides of the sea seem to have different Ideas as to what makes a good 'shonen' series.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Neat. I'm not much of OEL manga (most who try fall into some serious cliche pitfalls) but with a contest format something magic might happen.

Hmmm. Maybe I should script something. I do know artists...
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
Damn, I want five grand... And my own comic book. Any artists need a writer?
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
Talk about lucky! This is my chance to shine! Having just graduated from college and being in the process of finishing a doujinshi, this is the perfect opportunity for me to obtain my dream job!
I think I do want to team up with somebody. It would be great if I could find someone with Comic/Manga Studio to help work on it with me, but... blegh. It'd have to be someone with a truly serious dedication, since they would have to be included in the credits and, if things went all the way, I would hope would be into working together professionally, or at least be prepared to. Do these kinds of people exist? And where can I find them? D:

At the very least, I need more things to put into a portfolio. This will give me a chance to get serious and pull out my current best. I don't feel like I can do truly professional work yet, but... there's no better time to start trying!

[EDIT] To all those writers asking for an artist... You're not likely to find one as easily as Takagi found Mashiro in BAKUMAN. If you want an artist to take your ideas seriously, you need to actually put them down! I, myself, would be willing to cooperate with writing a story I felt comfortable drawing with my sense of drama that I've worked on in my work throughout the years, but... without an example of work, you won't get any bites from me. Most artists already have their own stories in mind. You need to blow their ideas out of the water for them to ever take your cooperation seriously!

So if you're truly serious, get crackin'! And study how manga storytelling works overall, too, so your stories actually translate as best as possible without relying too heavy on just dialogue or what a character or thing looks like in a particular moment and whatnot.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:00 am Reply with quote
I just realized something.

When they say "shonen genre" what exactly are they talking about?

Isn't Shonen just a demographic?

I don't wanna submit an action-adventure series with a female protagonist and have them think that I didn't "understand the rules" because it doesn't star a boy. (There have been shonen titles with female protags but seeing as how they're saying "genre" then I don't know what they're thinking)
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:24 am Reply with quote
Mizuki-Takashima wrote:

I don't wanna submit an action-adventure series with a female protagonist and have them think that I didn't "understand the rules" because it doesn't star a boy. (There have been shonen titles with female protags but seeing as how they're saying "genre" then I don't know what they're thinking)

Indeed, it is a demographic and not necessarily a "genre." However, we sometimes consider it a "genre" for the simple idea that many series in the shounen magazines often have recognizable elements, such as action, comedy, and/or a male protagonist with lesson-based themes such as "dreams," "friendship," and such. That isn't a requirement for the "genre," though.

Having a female protagonist is certainly not an automatic disqualification. The context surrounding the uniqueness of the manga will determine whether or not it is "shounen" material, as opposed to something that would NEVER work as a shounen series. As to what that might be, I suppose that's up to you to try and classify, since there are no actual definitions. It's pretty vague, so you might be worried, but if there are any requirements, I'd say that it should be "appropriate" for at least 10-15 year olds and, at least in the case of Shounen Jump, shouldn't let any romantic elements overshadow the plot. That said, things with more mature themes aren't out of the playing field, as long as the characters are young enough for the target audience to understand what's going on and it's not depressing without some kind of encouraging conclusion. And romance comedy, with little focus on actual romance, is plenty fine. But that's just how I see it.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:40 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Mizuki-Takashima wrote:

Indeed, it is a demographic and not necessarily a "genre." However, we sometimes consider it a "genre" for the simple idea that many series in the shounen magazines often have recognizable elements, such as action, comedy, and/or a male protagonist with lesson-based themes such as "dreams," "friendship," and such. That isn't a requirement for the "genre," though.

Having a female protagonist is certainly not an automatic disqualification. The context surrounding the uniqueness of the manga will determine whether or not it is "shounen" material, as opposed to something that would NEVER work as a shounen series. As to what that might be, I suppose that's up to you to try and classify, since there are no actual definitions. It's pretty vague, so you might be worried, but if there are any requirements, I'd say that it should be "appropriate" for at least 10-15 year olds and, at least in the case of Shounen Jump, shouldn't let any romantic elements overshadow the plot. That said, things with more mature themes aren't out of the playing field, as long as the characters are young enough for the target audience to understand what's going on and it's not depressing without some kind of encouraging conclusion. And romance comedy, with little focus on actual romance, is plenty fine. But that's just how I see it.

Ahh I see, that's a really clear way of putting it. I'm still a little worried but that response helps tons, since I usually see shonen manga as "accessible, but generic". Thanks a bunch!
erikamohr

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:32 am Reply with quote
Whoa whoa! Finally, they accept submission in English! I've already have stories in mind but I guess one is a bit too depressing for shonen demographic (but hey, Death Note was in Jump magazine, right?) while the other is too... erm... shoujo. I'd appreciate if someone would help me to expand my stories. I'm also willing to team up with a writer if their story ideas are better. ^^
veifor

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:55 am Reply with quote
im not a good drawer but... aniway...
who wants to team up with me?

http://imageshack.us/user/gaians
(these are a little old) aniway i have until octuber to imporve, so...

is there a writer who has a good manga shonen concept?
if you are interested send me a pm

Last edited by veifor on Mon May 27, 2013 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote
veifor wrote:

I like your architectural work. Are you able to do artwork for other kinds of settings, like natural settings (forests, hills, detailed flowers, etc.) and outside architecture (city landscapes, old-style fantasy towns, etc.)...? Depending on how it works out, you could easily land a side position. If you were able to help me out, I'd gladly give you the credit "deserved" for the work you put in. I don't have much money, but I would be willing to hire a little help as well.
And do you have Comic/Manga Studio at all?
PrimalX3

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:31 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
PrimalX3 wrote:
If this had happened in the past, I would have entered for the wrong reasons.

Now, I'm entering because I want to tell an incredible story. I'll do my best to use everything I learned up to this point.

Wow. Totally agree with you!

I think I'm going to try to enter too!

Cool, your art style is good, good luck!

Veifor: Not a good drawer!? Talk about selling yourself short! Shocked Your interiors are far better than mines. The impact of your drawings with their semi-realistic style is high. Unless your lacking in speed or some other category, I would say you are ready. Good luck!
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:51 am Reply with quote
My art sucks but what the heck? I might give this a try!
veifor

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:30 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
veifor wrote:

I like your architectural work. Are you able to do artwork for other kinds of settings, like natural settings (forests, hills, detailed flowers, etc.) and outside architecture (city landscapes, old-style fantasy towns, etc.)...? Depending on how it works out, you could easily land a side position. If you were able to help me out, I'd gladly give you the credit "deserved" for the work you put in. I don't have much money, but I would be willing to hire a little help as well.
And do you have Comic/Manga Studio at all?

yep, i can do architectural work because a have a little knowlegde of architecture, (i study in the same collage that architecs do, here in mexico).
but i am not sure if a can do a forest or something like that, i had never tried.
about manga studio... i have it, instellad in my computer, but... i had never give the time to learn it, so if you are willing to teach me it could work.
so, how do we get started? how we will comunicate?
PrimalX3 wrote:
KENZICHI wrote:
PrimalX3 wrote:
If this had happened in the past, I would have entered for the wrong reasons.

Now, I'm entering because I want to tell an incredible story. I'll do my best to use everything I learned up to this point.

Wow. Totally agree with you!

I think I'm going to try to enter too!

Cool, your art style is good, good luck!

Veifor: Not a good drawer!? Talk about selling yourself short! Shocked Your interiors are far better than mines. The impact of your drawings with their semi-realistic style is high. Unless your lacking in speed or some other category, I would say you are ready. Good luck!

thanks, i really apreciete your comment, it give me confidence Laughing

Last edited by veifor on Mon May 27, 2013 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Writers and Artist who team up, I would suggest teaming up with people you already know....since there could be a lot of legal stuff depending on if you guys continue working together or not.

Also, does original fanfics on fanfiction sites count as being published? I know an original story my friend wrote and I know he would love to try and get it published in a manga.

Of course, he can't draw very well, but I can...and I know another friend who can.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3