• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Novels that would make great anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpikeGriffith007

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:01 pm Reply with quote
George R.R. Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series would be amazing to see in anime.

There isnt one bad thing about this serious. It is dark, serious, amazing character development, god it just rules.

The Wheel of Time would be cool but man that series is so confusing as a whole.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I want to see Dashiell Hammett's Red Harvest as a 26 ep series. theres one part its a dream and he's chasing after a gut waring a sombraro(sp?) and he's running on people heads to get him. and the main female character would be great as an anime character.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I am SO out of the loop. I havne't recognized a single title mentioned. Where do you people find these books? Recommendations from friends?
Slim Shinji
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:20 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
I am SO out of the loop. I havne't recognized a single title mentioned. Where do you people find these books? Recommendations from friends?

Most of 'em are mysteries to me, too...but then again I was never one to keep up on current fiction.

I agree about Dragonlance though, and I've always maintained that it would be the perfect canidate for an anime series. In fact, I think that'd be the only way to do it any justice. I don't think even Peter Jackson could handle all the material in movie form.

Of course, I'm only talking about the first two trilogies. None of that 5th Age crap. (yes, I am a geek)
Dark Nero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:22 pm Reply with quote
bah call me a dork, but I think Catcher in the Rye would make a good anime, mosty just because I want to see it in motion hahah. Very good book though
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Remember when they had the zelda cartoon, I watched that all the time but it was rather short. It'd be nice to see a new series come out. considering all the time periods there spitting out now with the games you can basically think up anything in the universe.

I"m still waitin for TMNT to come back!

I agree with the whole blizzard franchise stuff though. Diablo would be interesting and so would starcraft.

As for novels unless you'd want to animate historical events I don't see it happening.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Dark Nero wrote:
bah call me a dork, but I think Catcher in the Rye would make a good anime, mosty just because I want to see it in motion hahah. Very good book though

Actually, I was thinking about this earlier today, wondering if anyone could ever try to put it into live action or anime format. My opinion? I hope they never do it. I love that book to death, and I just don't see how they'd be able to do it. It's an immensely complex book with thousands of things that are below the surface, and I just can't see any rendition of it that wouldn't be heavily sub-par.

The only thing I could imagine it being well-done in is a live-action movie. And a brilliant group of writers and a director who is PURE GENIUS.
Slim Shinji
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:50 pm Reply with quote
SkullKnight wrote:
I"m still waitin for TMNT to come back!

err......TMNT DID come back. A new series is airing right now on Fox Saturday mornings, and it's excellent!
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I remember seeing a preview commercial but didn't know it was already out. but saturday morning? I don't get up that early on weekends Wink
Delthayre

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I think certain writings from the works of Franz Kafka and Herman Hesse might make fine animes. The Trial or The Castle, if done with appropriately stylish animation that enhances the sense of entrapment and darkness prevalent in both books could be an absorbing visual feast.

Hesse would likely be harder since he emphasized the subconcious and metaphysical, but I think a carefully done anime version of Steppenwolf or Siddhartha (maybe Demian) could be great. Of course they way I envision them is likely to be so impossibly subtle as to be undoable for filmakers or unwatchable to audiences.

Come to think of it, some of Vonnegut's stuff might also make great anime. Animation could supply the dynamic and creative format essential to rendering such unconventionally structured books as Slaughterhouse 5 or Hocus Pocus. Cat's Cradle might be more doable and I would love to see a talented artist's rendering of the ending.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:18 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

Red Harvest is the book from which Akira Kurosawa got the idea of Yojimbo. whish was remade as a Fist Full of Dollers and Last Man Standing. the books about a detective in California in the 20s.

I think all the books I read are ones that where made or are being made into movies.
Delthayre

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I would absolutely love to see an anime version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams. That series consituted one of the most absorbing and enjoyable reads of my life. And dancing further and merrily along the tangental path, an animated version of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court would be interesting.

And furthermore, I hope no one ever even thinks of animating the works of Jane Austen. *shivers*
Ramen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to have to agree with WoT. In fact, I was talking to a friend about this very subject not too long ago. Basically, I'd prefer to see a live action version of Wheel of Time (a la LotR), but that would be impossible to do unless you totally cut up the series (there would have to be about 30 movies or so, IMO). So, Anime would be the next best format.
ownerizer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:24 am Reply with quote
Just a random thought:

An animated Rainbow 6 by Tom Clancy. If you haven't read the book, do it. Now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
crazydumbek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:14 am Reply with quote
Have they made one for Romance of the Three Kingdoms yet? They've made enough computer games from it, but I don't think they made it into anime. Is this a sacred cow thing?

Here's the rest of my list. Most of them seem to be comic books.

-- The Ninja by Eric Lustbader. Probably would be a hentai.
-- Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.
-- Neverwhere also by Gaiman
-- Sandman: The Dream Hunters also by Gaiman. I see a trend here...
-- Hellboy by Mike Mignola. A lot of manga artists love his work.
-- Maus by Art Spiegelman. Somehow I doubt that American animation studios would do a story of the holocaust with cat's and mice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7