• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimeMusicVideos.Org Served with Cease & Desist Order

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lavothas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote
honestly i can believe the story of the idiot fan who mistook the amv's for something the bands did.. concidering that there have to be a few hundred finger eleven AMV and Drowning Pool probably have been used for a few too. and those ones wern't removed
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I saw on the AMV.org forum that the bands Seether, Creed and Evanesence are the three bands that have been removed.

And it was either a very stupid fan or a very loyal fan. I have a friend who (thankfully) does not have internet access and is a freakish fan of music. She doesn't believe in AMV's because it "steals from the artists". I make AMV's myself and she's always complaining to me about it, even though I own all the CD's I make AMV's to. So I wouldn't doubt there are other people like her out there that would probably contact the artists directly to get someone in trouble. *shrug*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Hunter Sopko wrote:
2000 videos taken off? Well, people should be glad that Linkin Park wasn't on that list, or the number probably would have been well over 10,000.

If that meant I never had to see another Linkin Park AMV, that would be a good thing.

So, which artists are affected by this?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just read the article Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Hunter Sopko wrote:
people should be glad that Linkin Park wasn't on that list,

Glad nothing. The fact they only got Evanescence and didn't take Linkin Park with them is only a half-victory for fans of quality AMVs all over the world. Laughing

Seriously though, you don't know how tiring it gets having to wade through a thousand "crying in my cereal waahaahaa" cheap angst type of videos set almost exclusively to Linkin Park & Evanescence just to get to anything good, so for once—though it still feels a bit odd—I actually have to kinda-sorta thank the record industry for something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kalium

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Hunter Sopko wrote:
people should be glad that Linkin Park wasn't on that list,

Glad nothing. The fact they only got Evanescence and didn't take Linkin Park with them is only a half-victory for fans of quality AMVs all over the world. Laughing

You're not kidding, either. Mostly. Except that some good videos got axed in the process, too.
sycomonkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least no good bands got pulled.

This is still stupid, because honestly, this is EXACTLY the sort of thing that should be covered under Fair Use, if it isn't allready. I think derivitive works is the term here. Of course, this is a record company, which doesn't know how to create things, just how to make money off of other people's creativity. They don't understand that in the end ALL creative work comes from something that was created before. AMV's and general video editing is quite possible the ONLY creative thing I'm even decent at, and I don't want to see the legality of it eroded because the RIAA has their underpants in a perpetual wad.

But one can rest assured that even if it becomes specifically illegal it won't go anywhere. It's the internet, you can't stop it. Nobody can.
Kalium

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:38 pm Reply with quote
sycomonkey wrote:
This is still stupid, because honestly, this is EXACTLY the sort of thing that should be covered under Fair Use, if it isn't allready.

The making of is. The distribution of, for the anime portion of it, arguably is. For the music, probably not.
Coderjoe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Kiyoko wrote:
I saw on the AMV.org forum that the bands Seether, Creed and Evanesence are the three bands that have been removed.

And it was either a very stupid fan or a very loyal fan. I have a friend who (thankfully) does not have internet access and is a freakish fan of music. She doesn't believe in AMV's because it "steals from the artists". I make AMV's myself and she's always complaining to me about it, even though I own all the CD's I make AMV's to. So I wouldn't doubt there are other people like her out there that would probably contact the artists directly to get someone in trouble. *shrug*

I hope she goes to the concerts and buys lots of shirts and posters and stuff while she's there. The vast majority of musical artists don't make any real money on CD sales. The record company does.
The Infernal Dragoon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps the "fan" in question wasn't even a big fan (or any kind of fan) of anime. Maybe someone just decided to see if they could get the band-made music videos for one of those bands (Illegally, of course...) and stumbled into the AMV's, wondering if they could have possibly missed a music video for one of their favorite songs/bands.

Either way, this doesn't look too good... I hope other companies don't take this as a signal to swarm AMV.org with cease-and-desist orders.
kouryuu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:50 pm Reply with quote
In terms of those 3 specific bands, I must admit I wouldn't mind Linkin Park getting pulled as well.... AMV.org would have much more bandwidth to give out Anime smile.

I'm definately concerned about the ripple effects though. I mean if they can pull those bands, whats from stopping other labels/artists from pulling theirs? if they pull them all then AMVs are going down the tube, and Thats definately not going to be fun or fair.

I know I for one enjoy making my AMVs, even if tmine are'nt the greatest because i can barely understand the software and finagel it to do what i want...
Izlude

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Who the hell makes an AMV with Seether? Thats what I wanna know.
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, I am not going to buy any more cds from those bands...wait a sec, I don't have any anyway Laughing
TheoryGirl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I really find this an odd course of action, since anyone who follows the guides knows that the best sound comes from being ripped off the CD itself, which encourages CD sales, right?
But who expects companies to be logical these days? *shrug*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Coderjoe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:03 pm Reply with quote
sycomonkey wrote:
This is still stupid, because honestly, this is EXACTLY the sort of thing that should be covered under Fair Use, if it isn't allready.

As Kalium and I have already said, creating AMVs falls under Fair Use under Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 107, USC. (Title 17 of the US Code contains the copyright laws.)

sycomonkey wrote:
I think derivitive works is the term here.

Pretty much. Being a derivative work means that the copyright owner of the original work has a say in what you can do with your work. You, however, hold the copyright on whatever edits you have done in the process of making your AMV.

Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 101, USC wrote:
A “derivative work” is a work based upon one or more preexisting works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which a work may be recast, transformed, or adapted. A work consisting of editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, or other modifications which, as a whole, represent an original work of authorship, is a “derivative work”.

(Note: I am not a lawyer.)
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Coderjoe wrote:
poweranime wrote:
i wonder if this'll stop the use of copywritten songs used for AMV contests in the future...

All songs have a copyright on them the moment they are created. Your post has a copyright on it that belongs to you. Anything original is copyright when it is created.

No, that is not how copyrights work. You have to copyright it yourelf and submit it to make it official. George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead didn't have a copyright on it when it was released (not sure about it's current state though) and theaters around the world were showing it. Mr. Romero didn't get that money that should have come to him because he and his freinds forgot to copyright it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8