• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tales of Xillia's English Launch Trailer Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Disc space is not the reason we don't get dual audio. They could fit all of both audio tracks on there if they wanted to.

So sure? Have you ever looked at the data size of a fan-patched game? I just checked one of the older ones that I have on my pc and the original Japanese version of the game I checked is 3/4 the size of the fan-translation; and this a game without voice-overs. I'll pop into my pc both the English and Japanese "Tales of Destiny" later on tonight (and for curiosity sakes, both my copies of Vepseria, though the PS3 had more content) and let you know of the official on-disk data amount, but I'm off to play Xillia right now.

Bandai Namco themselves have claimed that it's rights-related. Which doesn't make much sense to me either, but that's the official reason. If disc space was the reason, surely they would have said that, as it would have been easily provable and no one could really argue it.

But Tales of Xillia is 6.2 GB (Graces is 6.5). Single-layer BDs hold 25GB. I don't see how space could possibly be the issue.

Edit: Sorry if I was unclear, I meant for current generation console games like Xillia. Space was a legitimate problem for PS2 and PSP games. Not sure about Vita or 3DS.
Wolfgirl90

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:34 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Bandai Namco themselves have claimed that it's rights-related. Which doesn't make much sense to me either, but that's the official reason. If disc space was the reason, surely they would have said that, as it would have been easily provable and no one could really argue it.

On a PS3 or 360, space is certainly not an issue. And a 3DS and a Vita might be able to handle it too. Blu-ray discs and DVDs have more than enough space to handle more than one language, so that isn't the issue. It has to do with licensing.

You see, Japanese voice actors sign contracts whenever they record dialogue or make music for video games and these contracts can often contain a stipulation that the recording is only going to be used in Japan. This happens in anime too. So publishers are left with the choice of either dubbing the whole video game so that it can be released outside of Japan or not releasing it at all.
dan9999

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:45 am Reply with quote
Well, unfortunately only path left in current extreme circumstances is the UNDUB version... which is already out in the wild....
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:20 am Reply with quote
Wolfgirl90 wrote:
It has to do with licensing.

You see, Japanese voice actors sign contracts whenever they record dialogue or make music for video games and these contracts can often contain a stipulation that the recording is only going to be used in Japan. This happens in anime too. So publishers are left with the choice of either dubbing the whole video game so that it can be released outside of Japan or not releasing it at all.

Um, yes, that's pretty much what I said. "Rights-related" would be "licesning". But there are two problems with it.

A) NISA. Somehow, this little company has managed to never (or almost never) run into this licensing problem, despite this "often" happening. They had to gimp the audio on PS2 because of the space issues, but they at least had some of it.

B) "This happens in anime too" It has, technically. But it's absurdly rare. Just try to think of the last time this actually happened. From an anime in the past decade or so at that. Kodocha removed the audio for specific sections because of rights issues with one of the voices. That voice was a cameo for the singer of the OP, neither of which they were able to get the rights for. I forget if it was an issue with that specific singer or the company involved as a whole, because some of those music companies apparently just refuse to deal with overseas companies at all or are otherwise just a horrendous pain in the ass that stuff involving them often can't get licensed here.

I've yet to hear an explanation for these discrepancies. Notice, however, that after every Atelier game having Japanese audio, when it got released by a new company, one that typically sells to a bit more of a mainstream audience, that Japanese audio track suddenly disappeared. Eventually they actually responded, and I believe it was the head of the company that said something like "Oh, we didn't think anybody really cared about that."

Maybe there's something about how the Tales games get dubbed in Japan that results in contract differences, but no one has ever actually said this. It probably does actually cost some money to include it, and I've long suspected it's simply an issue of Namco-Bandai deciding they don't think many people care about it so it was an easy place to cut costs, however small or big they might have been. But now NB are including it in the Symphonia collection but are still saying it would be too time consuming to get the rights to include on Xillia 2.

dan9999 wrote:
Well, unfortunately only path left in current extreme circumstances is the UNDUB version... which is already out in the wild....

There's an undub for Xillia already?

Ah, a beta. Sounds like it could be really glitchy. Maybe they'll get a full QCed version out at some point and I can use that on a subsequent playthrough.
dan9999

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:36 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

There's an undub for Xillia already?

Ah, a beta. Sounds like it could be really glitchy. Maybe they'll get a full QCed version out at some point and I can use that on a subsequent playthrough.

Well, its possible, but its stated its labelled beta because the undub is not tested in a full playthrough yet but that everything seems to be working fine hence released. The undubber is quite famous for other undub projects so hopefully all its ok.

The only issues so far were sound related, so its possible if some issues are to be found are (lack) bgm, sound effects, nothing major or game breaking as of this point is known.

QCheckers will have to be the players here.

EDIT: There is already confirmation from a tester with 0 bugs from beginning to end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2