• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Full Moon DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:29 am Reply with quote
Ah, good, I've been curious to see how the Full Moon discs would be reviewed...

Nebs wrote:
The only problem with Full Moon is that it takes a LONG time to get to the good & main part of the story. The first 26 episodes were basically just fluff, & only kept me vaguely interested. They weren't bad, but the absent of a solid plot is usually a negative in my book. But then things finally started to get good at the half-way point. & then those final 10 episodes... my god. No way I wanna spoil anything, but those last 10 were some of the most amazing stuff I've ever seen. Those 10 alone make up for the first 26.
I'd have to agree with this; I enjoyed the cuteness and comedy in the early going of FM, and even the fillers provided some entertainment. Somewhere in the mid-20s, things pick up, and aside from the relatively pointless episode 39, it simply never lets up until the end.
That said, I don't blame the reviewer for a somewhat negative review of the first four episodes. Not too much happens, and some of the comedy can get annoying. Unfortunately, given the somewhat questionable handling (everyone else has two seperate subtitle tracks on their discs--welcome to 2006, Viz Rolling Eyes), I'll have to wait for the boxed sets--I'd assume there will be two for the two halves of the series.
EDIT:
Quote:
Well. I have a major complaint. The songs don't have a Japanese karaoke in some of the episodes. (That really bites!)
Considering that the idea of providing any subtitles for songs is pretty foreign to Viz, we're lucky enough to get English lyrics for them. And btw, I highly doubt that there is "karaoke" in any language on this disc. At least, not karaoke in the sense of what you see on fansubs (flashing/colored letters timed to the music). Not because the company is lazy, but because DVDs simply don't support it. Instead, it's just translations of the songs, with subtitles timed to phrases.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Well. I have a major complaint. The songs don't have a Japanese karaoke in some of the episodes. (That really bites!) Mad Anime cry

"New Future" is one of this title's better known songs so why not provide the Japanese karaoke instead of the English version in some of the episodes. Part of fun with this title imo is to sing along with Mitsuki. Therefore, you should have the Japanese version available in some of the episodes or at least put the lyrics in the insert. The same thing applies to all the other songs in this series.
michizure

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:08 am Reply with quote
What would you do if you only had 12 months to live?

What if you were only 12 years old?

Quote:
The story is centered on something much more grand—a dream of love—and that is why it wins over so many hearts.

It seems to me the reviewer completely missed the point that sets this series apart from all the other I-want-to-be-an-Idol! shows. Mitsuki is not simply dreaming of love: she is trying to make something of what little remains of her life, with the only tools she has available.

The ticking clock of her cancer, the fact that her illness means her only friends are the shinigami who will ultimately come for her soul -- yes, there are silly, funny bits, but the underlying subtext of death is what makes them poignant rather than saccharine. Even filler episodes are forgivable: every moment is precious, when you have so few left.

I enjoy the drama in anime precisely because nothing guarantees it will have a Hollywood "happy" ending. (Offhand, I can name three popular series that didn't, but won't spoil them here.) It would not hurt the reviewer to respect that tension, and give potential viewers a deeper reason to watch.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:53 pm Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
My only problem about the review is that Eichi is mentioned as Mitsuki's boyfriend. They were just childhood friends who grew emotionally close, but nothing else developed.

In the early stages Mitsuki wants to be a singer for ONE reason (I mean, she wants to sing overall, but her driving ambition is...) to become a famous idol so that the boy she loves (Eiichi) will hear her song and find her again. Over the course of the series she comes to have several reasons for loving her singing, but her initial motivation is to recover the thing she shared with Eiichi. (Even her idol name "Full Moon" is in reference to her relationship with Eiichi) More than anything, this is why it bothers me how casually the reviewer seems to dismiss the relatinship in his closing thoughts actually.
If the story could just get moving and not dwell so much on a long-lost love, then it could really fulfill its promise as a romantic drama with supernatural touches.
Without her relationship with Eiichi to set the story, it's actually a pretty cliched "magical girl" kinda series, just with singing and mundane "threats" rather than monsters.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:26 am Reply with quote
At least, I think that the "relationship" of Mitsuki and Eiichi is alittle more complicated than that. You are talking about a 10 year old female and a 16 year old male and seeing it from her viewpoint alone as a flashback. At most, it is only an exaggerated form of a first "crush". It is being magnified into orbit by her limited lifespan, her history of being alone in the orphanage with Eiichi as her possibly only friend with a separation from him and the need to accomplish stuff before departing.

At the start of this anime, Eiichi is now theoretically 18 years old and Mitsuki is 12 years old with no understanding of what it's like to be in a romantic relationship or to go on a date.

So, in a sense, I can see why the reviewer chose to word it that way.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:44 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

At the start of this anime, Eiichi is now theoretically 18 years old and Mitsuki is 12 years old with no understanding of what it's like to be in a romantic relationship or to go on a date.

That's silly to look at it that way. Mainly because of how the story ends. spoiler[I mean, Takuto was in a band with her FATHER so it's not like he is closer in age, plus Eiichi is provably in love with Mitsuki. Whether that's "creepy" or otherwise odd is debateable, but there is technically a relationship there all the more so if you see the manga.]

The manga gives more backstory and explains BOTH points of view (his and hers). Also, Tanemura did a short story about a 10 yr old BOY and a girl that's like 18 or so, so I dunno, maybe she's just got some kinda weird age fixation.
starcade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I can't agree with the review grades, but the show always has a special place in my heart.

I will, however, say that improvement is almost mandatory if VIZ is going to get enough sales to make it the distance on a series that starts out so slowly.

We're probably talking 8 volumes or so before this gets going.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote
sorry to reply to such old thread, but it is not a usual one, but review for an anime, which is timeless subject... also, I do not think that there is sense to create new thread for this anime just to tell few thoughts... the third option would be to keep mum, but then what is the point in the community and discussions forum?..

i have to write this post, since some one has to... if such post would be here in this thread already, then i and people like me would not waste time on show that is not meant for them...

i did not see in any of the reviews and among comments proper accent on the fact how much naive this show is... and i do not mean "somewhat", or "sometimes", or "in some things"... i mean really, really naive: like in every second detail, both big and small... you just keep asking yourself questions like "how come?", "why would?", "o'really?", "if so, then why?.."

for this reason, unless you are able to completely switch off your brain (i can not) or unless you are eight year old girl, it is very hard to perceive this storytelling as "believable" on any level even within the lines of this presented fantasy-backed world... this seriously tampers with viewer's attempt to feel empathy with what happens on the screen, with heroes... i blame weak, poorly-thought work of scenarists for that... their work may be fine for many, but if they would try harder, they could make much more convincing project for wider audience...

show's main strength, its emotionality, was totally wasted on me because plot/settings details, both big and small, were not convincing and made me emotionally disconnected from the story...

it was said by Carlo, but still worthy to be stated even more directly: this anime lasts twice as long than it should in terms of *actual* events of scenario spoiler["events" like another protagonist's concert in the kinder-garden, or her twentieth day-time hallucination about eichi-kun neither constitute a story, nor give viewer any significant "emotional impact"...]
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
i did not see in any of the reviews and among comments proper accent on the fact how much naive this show is... and i do not mean "somewhat", or "sometimes", or "in some things"... i mean really, really naive: like in every second detail, both big and small... you just keep asking yourself questions like "how come?", "why would?", "o'really?", "if so, then why?.."
I think necroposting review threads are acceptable because one might happen to pick up an old series so if you watch it today then it's relevant to today. It's not like you bumped a thread for the sake of bringing up a subject that you didn't feel was discussed enough. But I'd like to remind you this is the thread for volume 1 only. If your comments pertain to an overall opinion of the show and you've seen later volumes, another thread would probably be better (ie is that spoiler ok for anyone who's seen past volume 1?).

As for the series, I don't think it's naive. You have to take what you are presented with and you are presented with a shoujo anime, a more all-ages type and a slice-of-life mixed with "I can do better" genre. But it is not simply that, the show deals with life, death, sexuality and love that rises above it's apparent impression it makes while still holding onto that quality of fun, cheerful and cute. It's this contrast of who it appeals to that makes it special, and I enjoy the cuteness and immaturity of it.

I absolutely love episode 1. I can safely say out of all the anime TV series ever made, if anyone asks me which first episode made the most dramatic, inspiring and well executed impression on me, it is, hands down, Episode 1 of Full Moon wo Sagashite (with Ep 1 of Fullmetal Alchemist and Angelic Layer respectively as a close 2nd and 3rd). Which is interesting since all 3 of these anime revolve around characters with a disability or medical condition.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:10 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
plus Eiichi is provably in love with Mitsuki.

HA, NO HE'S NOT! Anime hyper
There was absolutely nothing that "proved" Eichi "loved" Mitsuki. I can't even believe you're comparing Eichi's "love" to Takuto's love. It's just laughable!

spoiler[Two boys. One of them confesses to Mitsuki, writes a love letter, and decides not to send it because he is a loser, then gets killed in an accident. The other boy makes a promise to help Mitsuki, goes through intense psychological and physical pain just to keep her happy and safe and, the icing on the cake: gives up his soul, not just his life but his SOUL so Mitsuki would not die, even though by all logic, he shouldn't even remember her at all.]

OH GEE. I wonder which boy loves her the most? That's a toughie! Rolling Eyes
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Locking this for the necroposts. Any further discussion should be carried over to the Anime forum.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2