• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fate Of The Filler

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:22 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
That is only one definition of filler. Filler can also refer to episodes that don't relate to the main plot and are just there so that a series hits its predetermined episode count. This is the applicable definition in anime that are original creations and are not based on manga/novels/games/whatever, such as Samurai Champloo.

Right I agree with you, I think the term that is being used a lot now is Stand Alone, meaning it can stand alone on it own away from the rest of the series.
Thank you GITS:SAC for that, but you are correct filler can't have mulitple meaning, perhaps it time to establish a completely new word so that there is a difference.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Villhelmya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:39 am Reply with quote
What was the filler in Bleach, the modded soul and bontu arc?
they seem good enougth for me, then whats ment to be happening, like the next real arc? i dont mind Bleach filler well i didn't know it was filler til now... narutos a different story though Mad
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:49 am Reply with quote
Villhelmya wrote:
they seem good enougth for me, then whats ment to be happening, like the next real arc? i don't mind Bleach filler well i didn't know it was filler til now... narutos a different story though Mad

That would be correct. The next arc I believe deals with spoiler[Aizen returning and Ichigo and crew fighting him from what I heard a while ago from my friend who reads the manga].

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:13 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Villhelmya wrote:
they seem good enougth for me, then whats ment to be happening, like the next real arc? i don't mind Bleach filler well i didn't know it was filler til now... narutos a different story though Mad

That would be correct. The next arc I believe deals with spoiler[Aizen returning and Ichigo and crew fighting him from what I heard a while ago from my friend who reads the manga].

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90

not entirely true. The manga hasn't actually reached that far yet.

WARNING: MANGA SPOILER
spoiler[In the manga, the arc after Soul Society introduces the hybrid Shinigami and Hollows (ie. Hollows who've gained Shinigami powers or vice versa). The Hollows were being converted into Shinigami by Aizen as he experiments with the Stone (lol honestly can't remember its name Anime smile + sweatdrop ) to try and produce the ultimate Hollow/Shinigami Hybrid. Aizen hasn't actually appeared in the real world or Soul Society. Instead he sends his Hollow hybrid experiments into the real world to test their powers and keep the Shinigami busy.]
vickeyv

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Well i think the most important thing in fillers is to make sure that its a financial success.

The reason why R.Kenshin was taken off air was because the producers had made too much of an investment in the fillers, like having a brand new opening song and animation for like the last couple of fillers and then a new ending song and animation and if you notice closely the animation quality of the last couple of fillers is very high comparing with other series rleased during the same time frame like flame of Recca and Escaflowne. The colors are much more vibrant.

And the producers didn't get equal dividends and so they never resurected the show and then moved on.

The thing with Bleach is that the characters are just superb. If you notice there is nothing really special about the story, like Grim Reapears with samurai swords, and "i want to get stronger" "i want to protect my precious freinds" crap. And then the whole ghost busting with hollows. Thats all really cliched stuff. But the characters are just amazing. So Bleach never needed and will never need an amazing story line all it needs is your basic situation and thats it.

The thing with Naruto is its story line was really complex. Like over 135 episdoes and yes it did have cliched elements but the story was diverse that it kept you intresed since alot of stuff happened in those episdeos like tournments, wars, etc not just a solitary strike on SS. in any case since thats all gone now all we are left is with a bunch of noisy kids and adults donot like noisy kids.

But kids love to watch such stuff. And if Pokemon can survive for decades without a story line why the can't Naruto with a story line unsuitable for adults. I won't call it bad, i love the fillers, my younger brother likes em', so whats the big deal,
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:04 pm Reply with quote
vickeyv wrote:
Well i think the most important thing in fillers is to make sure that its a financial success.

The important thing is to get good ratings. If the ratings dive below a certain level, the show will get cancelled.

Quote:
The reason why R.Kenshin was taken off air was because the producers had made too much of an investment in the fillers, like having a brand new opening song and animation for like the last couple of fillers and then a new ending song and animation and if you notice closely the animation quality of the last couple of fillers is very high comparing with other series rleased during the same time frame like flame of Recca and Escaflowne. The colors are much more vibrant.

Ongoing series like this tend to switch openings and endings every x number of episodes regardless of where the series is in the story. The higher animation quality is probably because they were informed that the series was getting cancelled and they had to wrap up, so they didn't need to hold back for more episodes.

Quote:
And the producers didn't get equal dividends and so they never resurected the show and then moved on.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, but I suspect you are wrong.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
vickeyv wrote:
Well honestly it's more important that people continue to keep an interest in the series until there is new material ready for the anime.

vickeyv wrote:
Equal dividends? They didn't get their equal shares after the board announce dividends to be paid? This make little to no sense. The show was cancelled, the fillers sucked no one was watching the show and it wasn't making any money.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
vickeyv

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:16 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:

]Equal dividends? They didn't get their equal shares after the board announce dividends to be paid? This make little to no sense. The show was cancelled, the fillers sucked no one was watching the show and it wasn't making any money.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

As in didn't get desired amount of return on the investment they made. As in made high quality episdoes got bad ratings in return, when you get smacked on the face like that you have little choice but to cancel the show.

Studio Periott at the moment has lowered there animation quality for the fillers and its clearly noticeable, since younger shonen donot really care about that as long as they get their weekly dosage of Rasengan, Naruto is more than safe at the moment. Naturally the ratings for Naruto might have taken a hit during the fillers but Studio Periott isn't really investing that much in it.

If Studio Periott went all Gonzo for the fillers Naruto will sink before you can even say animation.
Kidder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:40 am Reply with quote
vickeyv wrote:
Deltakiral wrote:

]Equal dividends? They didn't get their equal shares after the board announce dividends to be paid? This make little to no sense. The show was cancelled, the fillers sucked no one was watching the show and it wasn't making any money.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

As in didn't get desired amount of return on the investment they made. As in made high quality episdoes got bad ratings in return, when you get smacked on the face like that you have little choice but to cancel the show.

Me thinks you got your cause and effect mixed up. The last few episodes of Rurouni Kenshin were higher quality animation because they were told they were going to be cancelled. I'm guessing the producers basically figured they might as well finish off the budget since the show was over. The show was already experiencing very poor ratings for a while, which is why the powers-that-be decided to drop what was once a hugely popular show.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:49 am Reply with quote
Kidder wrote:
I've said in previous posts that the Bleach anime fillers are actually quite relevant and important in terms of character development.

Kidder brings up an excellent point. All filler is not equal. If it's made just for the sake of dragging a popular series out, that's one story. If it includes character development that helps us get to know and like the characters better so that we care about what happens to them, that's another. Filler episodes might not be the best in a series, but they can be absolutely critical to the overall effect that the important, dramatic episodes late in the series have on us.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2