• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crazy, stupid, love (the emotions, not the movie).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:37 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
The sad thing is, from my experience with the majority yaoi/yuri fans, they don't care if their pwecious OTP partners treat each other like crap-just so as long as they get their SHIP because "IT'S SO HOT".
.........makes me freaking sick.....

I've had experience with yuri fans who are very serious about this sort of thing, not for the "hot" factor, but for the "pure and true love" factor (to the extent of outright man hating). From what they've told me, apparently yuri is so rare that they cling to whatever they can get. And how dare I ship the straight option and rob them of their precious pairing.

Anyways, as blarg as Himeko/Chikane was, Himiko/Kaon from Shattered Angels is much, much better. And on the HiME note, Shizuru is ultra cool in My Otome, so that's definitely worth a look.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:49 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Asuna was at no point Kirito's equal partner. To use an analogy, Asuna was the lady of the mansion who can, at the best, fend of a small group of trespassers with her nagitana while her lord Kirito goes to war to vanquish real enemies.

.............are you certain you watched the first half of the series? o____O

Quote:
Asuna had half a season for her romance with Kirito. What of it? Suguha had comparable development.

No. Not even in the slightest. Kirito has always seen Suguha as a little sister (coughWESTERMACKER EFFECTcough)...and they weren't even that close, really. Asuna spoiler[threw herself in front of him to take a fatal hit for him.]. She also saved his life when he would have certainly been killed by the Laughing Coffin guy. She was willing to give her everything for Kirito. She supported him and fought along side him, yes, equally. She put all her faith into him and never lost that.
I'm sorry but Suguha and Kirito don't have crap compared to what Kirito and Asuna formed over those two years. You don't just throw all that commitment away when your little "sister" goes "I like you" if you are any type of decent person with morals. =_=

I guess I'm so pro-Asuna because her and Kirito's love was put to the ultimate test. Suguha's wasn't. Yes, okay, she "likes" him but is she willing to commit her life to or die for him? We aren't shown this. But we were shown that Asuna is, and Kirito is on the exact page as her, so yeah, too bad, Suguha but you lose. :p

Quote:
I hold very much the same opinion of spoiler[Madoka x Homura] from Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

Oh God, NO. Don't compare Chikane to Homura at all, please. Homura suffered so much MORE not because of "I can't tell you my feelings cause I'm insecure wahhh" but from actually terrible things that were not under her control. She loves Madoka not at all in an obsessive way so it's unhealthy or harmful to Madoka...it's just "I dedicate my life to protect this person" unconditional type of love. I found her feelings to be very pure. The only hint of sexual attraction to her is the blushing. There is nothing creepy about Homura's feelings for Madoka. All she wanted was spoiler[for Madoka to survive.]

Quote:
I've had experience with yuri fans who are very serious about this sort of thing, not for the "hot" factor, but for the "pure and true love" factor (to the extent of outright man hating).

Know my opinion on this?
Anyone who hates either sex is a complete idiot, and not likely a good-natured person to boot.

Quote:
And how dare I ship the straight option and rob them of their precious pairing.

Lol, if we're supposed to ship the crappy gay pairing, the gay option needs to stop being crappy and the straight option needs to stop being so LIKABLE. Anime hyper

Quote:
Himiko/Kaon from Shattered Angels is much, much better.

Agreed. Anime hyper
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:52 am Reply with quote
Oh god, NOT THIS.

I think now is the time to mention my hatred of shippers. I really don't like the idea of devoting a thread to pairings you don't like. In fact, I HATE the idea of shipping in general. From my experiences, most shippers (especially slash shippers) tend to obsess over their One True Pairing, even going so far as to write hatefics where a romantic rival dies because they dared to get between their OTP. (Poor Masaya from Tokyo Mew Mew. What did you ever do to deserve such unreasonable hatred from crazy fans?) They prefer not to actually discuss the series, but instead make fan art for their pairing(s) and get into flame wars because someone else didn't like their ship.

As for romantic resolutions I'm not a fan of, I really can't think of anything at the moment. However, I do have a pet peeve for incest shipping. (I don't care if they weren't actually siblings! That's cheating!) Ugh, why are shippers so insane? My god...
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
I always preferred Keitaro and Mustsumi in Love Hina though I can't tell if that counts or not as I think even creator Ken Akamatsu preferred that pairing. After a while, there's definitely "Crap, they have too much chemistry. Gotta get rid of her. Again!" feel to each one of her appearances. Then she moves in. Go figure.

Love, Elections and Chocolate? I would so love this series if the guy ended up with the teacher. It's often played for laughs at the teacher's expense because she's old you know but here, it's the most serious pairing. I think the characters worked it out that if he asked, she would have said "yes" so he never asked...

Along similar lines of game adaptations; In Photo Kano, one of those series where every girl was a "winner", why wasn't his fellow club member Yuko part of the package? Look, even spoiler[his "step-sister" Kanon] got in on it so why not the mysterious girl with the hidden eyes and motives yet similar interests? Wait a minute...

No, no, still should have tried....

Infinite Stratos? The way I thought it was, Ichika and Houki were only together in that kendo dojo for about a year when they were children and Rin was his actual childhood friend he grew up with in that she transferred into his grade school after Houki moved away and then they went to the same middle school. It's the series that played up Houki over the rest in that she was first and her sister made the damn things, that's it. Charl's good but I'm also in favor of Laura.

Actually, in that series, yeah, anyone but Ichika. I mean Houki. I think...

There's more, sure and in honor of Arrested Development, I always think of it as the "Her?" ending, sometimes "him?" ending and in case of Tenchi Muyo clones, it's the "Them?" ending.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:57 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
(Poor Masaya from Tokyo Mew Mew. What did you ever do to deserve such unreasonable hatred from crazy fans?)

Lol, well he's really boring compared to the other guys. I hated him too. I was team Ryou. Anime hyper And the fans wouldn't have been so offended Ichigo chose him if we hadn't been so TROLLED by the author. It was merciless teasing with both Ryou and Kish...and that's just plain uncalled for.

I wouldn't go as far as to kill the unfavorable ship off in a fanfic though. I'd rather spend more effort on a ship I love instead of hate.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quote
The lack of any sort of romantic resolution in DA Capo II annoyed me. Otome should have won, as she had the best chemistry with Yoshiyuki
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
^Oh, that reminds me, I despised NemuxJun from the first Da Capo series. Dropped it because of them.

(yes, I know I'm an immature child who drops series because a ship she hates sailed...but look, I just don't want to see that on screen, okay?)

Tis not good for one's health to expose yourself to something that makes you that angry. Anime hyper

Last edited by Chiibi on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:27 pm Reply with quote
siblings who spoiler[aren't actually siblings dating, and eventually marrying?]

Last edited by getchman on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
fake incest?

No problem with fake incest. Nemu herself was just so effing annoying. lol It was Elfen Lied KoutaxYucka "romance" all over again.

Quote:
siblings who spoiler[aren't actually siblings dating, and eventually marrying?]

Believe it or not, this is legal in Japan. Anime hyper

Incest is squick because related genes=bad babies. But if you take the "related" part out, it's still a boy and a girl the same age under the same roof....so....yeah.

So many shoujo manga use this plot....I've just gotten used to it. It's only when I can't stand one of the two character's personalities that we have a problem....
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Incest is squick because related genes=bad babies. But if you take the "related" part out, it's still a boy and a girl the same age under the same roof....so....yeah.
To the best of my knowledge, even sibling incest typically only results in major problems if it becomes a family tradition and that most of the problems for the couple and their spawn are psychological one that have sod all to do with blood relation. Not a problem if they're not raised together from a young age, but it does mean that copout is nothing more than a legal loophole(and really, I think most of the complaints are just from sheer exhaustion with it).
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
You'd be surprised what can become declared legal over here. I once read a case where the marriage between an uncle and his niece was approved by the courts because everyone involved, the parents included, were all for it. Same thing has also happened with step/adopted siblings.

Anywho, I agree that the "they're not blood related" cop out sucks. The blood relation is what makes it so appealing!

Of course incest isn't automatically wincest. Oreimo's ending is another one that falls apart under scrutiny.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Believe it or not, this is legal in Japan. Anime hyper

So many shoujo manga use this plot....I've just gotten used to it. It's only when I can't stand one of the two character's personalities that we have a problem....

oh i know. I was just changing the wording of my question to make it sound a bit better since I had no idea what exactly about DC you didn't like but I wasn't quick enough
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
You'd be surprised what can become declared legal over here. I once read a case where the marriage between an uncle and his niece was approved by the courts because everyone involved, the parents included, were all for it. Same thing has also happened with step/adopted siblings.
I don't think most of the United States have any possibility of exceptions beyond recognizing extant marriages(I remember there was a case from a few years back where a pair of cousins were denied a marriage license despite promising not to breed) and treat steps/legally adopted kids are treated the same as blood relations. I could be mistaken(fifty jurisdictions leaves a lot of room for subtle variation nobody ever talks about), but I'd have no idea where to clarify that.
Quote:
Of course incest isn't automatically wincest. Oreimo's ending is another one that falls apart under scrutiny.
That ending just plain falls apart - no scrutiny needed.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
I don't think most of the United States have any possibility of exceptions beyond recognizing extant marriages(I remember there was a case from a few years back where a pair of cousins were denied a marriage license despite promising not to breed) and treat steps/legally adopted kids are treated the same as blood relations. I could be mistaken(fifty jurisdictions leaves a lot of room for subtle variation nobody ever talks about), but I'd have no idea where to clarify that.

I wrote a paper on the topic for University, so I'm pretty well read on this. Though I did misremember some things Laughing

Looking at this Harvard Law Review paper again, the "everyone approved" thing didn't apply to the uncle/niece case. But that happened in New York (they had married in Rhode Island, where it's legal apparently). The case of the adopted siblings was in Colorado.

Going back on topic, Turn A Gundam. I thought spoiler[Loran/Dianna was fine, but only when he thought she was Kihel. Once he learned her true identity, he became the ultra loyal servant boy who worshipped his queen. When they end up together at the end it's totally just because of that loyalty. Poor Sochie gets left in the cold.]
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote
@Vaisaga
Since you have read up on it, maybe you can confirm (or not) something for me. My impression is that the laws pertaining to incest only specify who can marry under existing law. My impression is that in this day close relatives could live together and do as they pleased as long as they didn't try to marry. Or do some states actually try to prevent that?

I'm also under the impression that incest between consenting adults is rather rare. Most of what actually makes the news involves adults and underage relatives or siblings widely separated in age.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5