• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kyousogiga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Never even knew this show existed and now I want to watch it immediately! Definitely getting a bit of an Ikuhara vibe from the sound and looks of it...
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
FYI, the rating of Decent corresponds to a straight B, not C.

LOL.

ANN's grading system is almost as generous as Harvard's.
Miniicy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Can't give it an A

I loved the concept, art, and chars.

But so much plotrushing brought it down.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
I've been interested in this series for a long while due to loving crazy and surreal visuals (El Shaddai will always be one of my favorite games for the artstyle alone), and given the sheer amount of praise it keeps getting, I guess I'll have to crack down and watch it one day.

I hope this show is as much of a surreal and visual feast for the eyes like all the screenshots I see are.

There will be yuri. Avoid this one Chagen.

I don't know what you watched, but if you watched the same show I did, there was no yuri in this TV rendition at all.
amagee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
For someone like me who has never seen Kyousogiga, should I start by watching Kyousogiga - the ONA - and Kyousogiga Dainidan first?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
best show of the season.
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
amagee wrote:
For someone like me who has never seen Kyousogiga, should I start by watching Kyousogiga - the ONA - and Kyousogiga Dainidan first?

Yes, you should start with the original ONA! It's confusing but it sets the tone for the show; Crunchyroll includes it as "episode zero". "Dainidan" however is basically just unfinished/truncated versions of the first 5 tv episodes, so you don't necessarily want to watch those unless you want to see the first half of the show twice!
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I'd actually argue that you shouldn't watch the original ONA first, since it is more or less a summary of the whole series and thus a spoiler.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
amagee wrote:

Just watch episodes 1-10 of the TV series.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'd actually argue that you shouldn't watch the original ONA first, since it is more or less a summary of the whole series and thus a spoiler.

I'd disagree with saying it's a spoiler, basically it's the first climax with some extra information. Hardly spoils the entire plot, although at this point I'd agree that you don't need to watch it to get the show and that people can just watch episodes 1-10 and then go back through the specials if they want.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote
To put in my 2 cents: I'd actually suggest watching Episode 0 first. I loved seeing new details and info being revealed that gradually gave context to all the zaniness in the prologue.
jymmy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:42 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I'd argue that you should watch it first, as it was released first. Plus – and more importantly – it creates the experience of a full-on incoherent but cohesive experience, where those cohesive ties are filled in over the next few episodes. Calling it a spoiler is missing the point. I'd be much more comfortable calling episode 1 of the TV series a spoiler for episode 5 of Dainidan, considering that the TV series was released later. Episode 5 of Dainidan had the rush of understanding and connected all the necessary dots for a complete and the superior experience of part 1. Breaking from convention (being "artsy") in and of itself doesn't make something good, but the ONA series' story was more elegant, minimalist and higher-quality. Dainidan episode 5 was better than TV episode 1, which, apart from Koto crash-landing in Mirror Kyoto and setting the tone for her relationship with Myoue, had nothing that wasn't taken from or more cleverly implied in the ONA series, and this is true for a lot of the first half of the TV series. That the fifth episode of ONA2 was the climax of the series and made fantastic use of the English insert song, better than its appearance in episode 9, probably helps, too.

Really, my only recommendation is to watch Kyousougiga exactly as it came out, possibly skipping episode 0 of the TV if you remember the original ONA (although that material begs a rewatch after Dainidan). I think the original ONA and Dainidan provide the best experience. The second half of the TV series completes the experience, although it has its own flaws, and the emotional content is absolutely worthwhile. Maybe some of the stuff in the first half of the TV series that wasn't in the ONA relates to the second half (I'm not sure, having only watched the TV series once), but aside from the possibility of that minor problem, the first half of the TV series is basically a slightly watered-down version of everything that came before it. The TV series filled in gaps that didn't need to be filled in, and some material from the ONAs wasn't integrated very naturally (I'm thinking particularly Dainidan's episode 3 in TV 3). In the attempt to make a definitive version of Kyousougiga with the TV series, they lost, probably inevitably, some of the mad spark of genius that made the ONA series so great.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:22 am Reply with quote
Since I did not see the Dainidan series, I would be interested to hear other opinions on the matter raised by jymmy from other people who have seen both the ONAs and the TV series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If Kyousogiga has a significant flaw, it's that it does have a tendency to let some of its conversations run on a little too long, and even changing perspectives and having characters walk around while talking cannot entirely disguise that.
On a scale of 1 to Fate/Zero, Fate/Zero obviously being the worst, how egregious is this flaw? Cool
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:15 am Reply with quote
tootbrush wrote:
Redcrimson wrote:
Somebody, anybody, get Matsumoto away from Precure storyboards and give her another project to helm! You're squandering a lot of talent, Toei.

... She hasn't worked on Precure since the Heartcatch movie. The two SSO episodes aside (which are basically the best episodes of the show),

I have no idea of what Saint Seiya Omega you're watching, because for the one I am watching, I'd take (almost) any episode from the second season (the Pallas arc) over the entirety of the first season (to which Matsumoto's two episodes belong). Just saying

But actually on topic, I loved this show and it was probably my favorite from Fall Season. It was certainly a beautiful and heartfelt story of love and family camouflaged with crazily over the top visuals and a very dynamic setting. And Koto has to be one of Kugimiya's best performances to date, she was astounding
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4