• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Picks up Gakuen Heaven

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kisa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:57 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Kisa wrote:
they probably wont even dub it. they didn't with sukisho or loveless.
im so happy YES!!
i hope they start licensing more of BL anime soon.

Why can't they dub it?

because they wouldnt release it so soon after they have licensed it. but we wont anything more untill media blasters list it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Kisa wrote:
they probably wont even dub it. they didn't with sukisho or loveless.
im so happy YES!!

I don't think sub-only releases are a good idea at all. It's a big turn-off for dub-only people (I tried to get some kids in my school into Loveless, and they flat-out refused because it didn't have a dub track) and for those who refuse to purchase the exact same material they can download for free. Sukisho and Gakuen are a little too niche to appeal to anyone outside of their target audience, so it's somewhat forgivable that they're sub-only, but Loveless had potential to be a big hit in America. I mean, it's got gay guys, lesbians, extremely well-choreographed magic fights, and catpeople. There's really something there for everyone. What's not to like?
mufurc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Why Gakuen Heaven? Couldn't have they found a good BL show to license? ...Wait, that's right, they couldn't. Really, where are the good BL series? :/ The only good ones I've seen in recent years were Mirage of Blaze and Loveless. There are so many good manga they could adapt, but no, they keep making game adaptations, bad ones at that. Sometimes I can't believe the target audience is shallow enough to lap up everything that has (relatively) pretty boys and famous seiyuu (that one hears in every BL media, anyway), even if it doesn't have anything else. Le Sigh.
nailz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree. Gakuen Heavan isn't the greatest anime. The art quality is fine, but the story is so lame. The plot is hardly believable at all. I know, I know, it's a boyslove anime and practically the entire genre is full of ridiculous story lines, but I had to try really hard to just keep smiling and watching. Don't think too hard and the series is fine and entertaining.

Where is all the good writing for yaoi and BL? It's been quite a while since I have come across one.

I haven't read the GH manga, maybe it's better? Can someone redeem this series for me?
Dee Kaku

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:34 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
Why Gakuen Heaven? Couldn't have they found a good BL show to license? ...Wait, that's right, they couldn't. Really, where are the good BL series? :/ The only good ones I've seen in recent years were Mirage of Blaze and Loveless. There are so many good manga they could adapt, but no, they keep making game adaptations, bad ones at that. Sometimes I can't believe the target audience is shallow enough to lap up everything that has (relatively) pretty boys and famous seiyuu (that one hears in every BL media, anyway), even if it doesn't have anything else. Le Sigh.
Some people prefer a series with a good story, some prefer a series with good characters, others just for voice actors, and etc.
You Higuri is one of my favourite artists, and the fact that her character designs were used for an anime makes me really happy since nothing else of hers has been animated yet. Yeah, I think the anime plot sucks (It's very boring and drawn out. The only thing I watched completely was the HamHam Heaven shorts.), enjoy that it's full of pretty boys, and like the voice acting cast, but I think you should consider the fact that not everything is weighed out on "shallow" terms.
Yes, there's a lot of hype for popular series with pretty boys and famous voice actors, but it's somewhat rude to call everyone that likes it shallow. I agree with you to a point that, yes, some people do start wagging their tails if they only hear the words "BL" and "anime" together and see pictures of pretty boys or the casting of their favourite voice actors, but it's still a bit harsh to call people shallow for being like that. That's like calling someone shallow for picking favourites.

Also, personally, I don't think Loveless was that good of an adaptation of the manga. It's a good story by itself, but it differs quite a bit from the manga, which isn't as angsty and bitter all the time. The same thing happened with Gravitation, which was a great disappointment. The animation and art for Loveless was very good though, unlike Gravitation's, which earns the Loveless anime quite a few bonus points.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:27 pm Reply with quote
And *I* would like to point out that of course I know it's a game. That's why it's so silly and ridiculous and twee.

I'm not excited because it's a good anime (because it most certainly is not), I'm excited because it's fluffy and cute and has most of my favourite seiyuu all toghether in one show, which is always a cause for celebration. Razz

Shouldn't you be happy that at least something is getting licensed? Smile [/i]
blueharlequin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
And *I* would like to point out that of course I know it's a game. That's why it's so silly and ridiculous and twee.

I'm not excited because it's a good anime (because it most certainly is not), I'm excited because it's fluffy and cute and has most of my favourite seiyuu all toghether in one show, which is always a cause for celebration. Razz

Shouldn't you be happy that at least something is getting licensed? Smile [/i]

I second that. Why is everyone so picky? Stick to playing the game if you don't like the manga or the anime. It sounds like nitpicking and complaining about something that isn't even released yet, as bad as "Narutards" and the new spawn of "Bleachtards."
blueharlequin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Dee Kaku wrote:
You Higuri is one of my favourite artists, and the fact that her character designs were used for an anime makes me really happy since nothing else of hers has been animated yet.

Yes! wouldn't it be great if Gorgeous Carat or Cantarella was animated?

And as a side note (and maybe totally OT as well) I wish anything by Takanaga Hinako or Matsumoto Temari would be animated as well.
Dee Kaku

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:49 am Reply with quote
blueharlequin wrote:
Yes! wouldn't it be great if Gorgeous Carat or Cantarella was animated?

And as a side note (and maybe totally OT as well) I wish anything by Takanaga Hinako or Matsumoto Temari would be animated as well.

GORGEOUS CARAT! *squee~* </fangirling>

Matsumoto-san's work has been animated... :o Kyou Kara Maou's character designs were done by her. Also, she does the art for the novels and is doing a manga re-adaption of the novel series.
If one of Matsumoto's personal works is animated, I want Uwasa no Futari to be first... *cough*
blueharlequin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:21 am Reply with quote
Dee Kaku wrote:
Matsumoto-san's work has been animated... Surprised Kyou Kara Maou's character designs ...
If one of Matsumoto's personal works is animated, I want Uwasa no Futari to be first... *cough*

Oo . . . yeah. I think my brain was also thinking along the lines of Uwasa no Futari also. Wink More romantic involvement, less romantic comedy. (not to say KKM isn't good, I love it, I just like a little more substance and a little less "tease")
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Seca wrote:
AyumiHamasaki wrote:
That's good. 100% of the shounen ai/yaoi released in Japan the past few years have been licensed. I guess i don't have to worry about any NOT getting licensed.

I'll be preordering my copies once it's available.

I wouldn't say 100%, the Miene Liebe series still remains unlicensed and there are a few more titles that fit that genre that haven't been picked up yet.

Oh but Meine Liebe is not shounen ai. It's just slashy in my opinion despite having one practically official BL pairing: If i remember right, it's Edmund and Camus.

But i kind of exaggerated when i said 100% considering Haru wo Daiteita has not been licensed yet. Or has it?
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:40 pm Reply with quote
AyumiHamasaki wrote:

But i kind of exaggerated when i said 100% considering Haru wo Daiteita has not been licensed yet. Or has it?

Yes, Central Park Media has it. Boku no Pico, which just came out (no pun intended Wink ) on the seventh of this month, hasn't been licensed either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2