• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toho Makes 1st Japanese Godzilla Film in 12 Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Great news, hope it's similar to the best entries during the 90's but with even more advancement in practical effects/proper use of CGI under a small budget. But more importantly, I hope the overall story turns out to be good.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

They could also try what was done with Godzilla 2000 & dub it over, though for G2000 the dub purposefully aimed to be in the cheesy fashion that the Showa Era dubs went. Personally, I love Godzilla 2000 so I'd be fine if it was done like that should this new movie get a theatrical release over here, but I could see if it might rub others the wrong way.

Well we've been seeing more films from Asia getting selected US theatrical releases (they're limited but it work), I prefer if the next Godzilla films doesn't get dub in a goofy way like Godzilla 2000.

A little off topic but maybe the next Godzilla film from Japan could make a big profit in the US despite being from Japan, I mean the Korean film, Roaring Current made over 2 million dollars in it's initial limited US theatrical run (sources: Korea Herald and Yonhap News). So if Roaring Currents can make that much money in the US despite having little to no promotion and it's from South Korea, then the next Godzilla film in Japan can probably replicate this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I wasn't expecting this. I'll definitely need to tell my dad since he's the one that got me into Godzilla.
Sume Gai

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what kind of continuity this will end up having? Will it tie in to the Edwards movie? (say what you will about the film I think their's plenty of follow-up potential, especially if you emphasize the idea of Cosmic Horror Godzilla)

Will it be like the Millennium series, tying back to one older movie and being otherwise independent?

Or perhaps like my personal favorite, the Heisei series, start up a new continuity that strives to explain and establish Godzilla?
Jeikobu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Sume Gai wrote:
I wonder what kind of continuity this will end up having? Will it tie in to the Edwards movie? (say what you will about the film I think their's plenty of follow-up potential, especially if you emphasize the idea of Cosmic Horror Godzilla)

Will it be like the Millennium series, tying back to one older movie and being otherwise independent?

Or perhaps like my personal favorite, the Heisei series, start up a new continuity that strives to explain and establish Godzilla?

The Japanese article said it would be "the birth of an utterly new Gojira".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Sume Gai wrote:

I would love it if they take a queue from Marvel and how then do their movies. Like not just focus on Godzilla but the other kaiju Toho has. Maybe do like two or three movies a year. Like start with a Godzilla movie, then do a Mothra movie fallowed by a King Ghidorah movie. The next movie would be a Godzilla move again fallowed by two other monster movies like maybe another Mothra movie or a Rodan one. Even an Baragon or Anguirus based movie. At some point do a big monster team up movie

One of the things the bug me about later Godzilla movie is they always had to pull some new monster out their ass to fight Godzilla. Using the Marvel method they could introduce a new monster in a separit movie or set up it's origin to build it's hype for when it appears in a Godzilla or other movie.

As for what I would want to see out of a Mothra Vs (Blank) movie, Well Mothra is an earth/nature spirit. Mothra VS Hedorah would be a great. Mothra VS Biollante would be good too. I would save alien monster for the second Mothra movie.

A King Ghidorah movie would be interesting depending on what plans to do with the character in future films. I would love to see an origin story for him if he ends up being a featured villain. Maybe have a story showing aliens make him or something and they test him out by having him fight monsters like Gigan. The movie ending with a battle between King Ghidorah and Grand King Ghidorah witch Grand King wins. Then foreshadowing of Mecha King Ghidorah (made from King Ghidorah's dead body) and Monster X Ghidorah a version of King Ghidorah stronger then Grand King Ghidorah.

Anguirus and Rodan could fight weaker and or less known kaiju in their movies.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:04 am Reply with quote
Very excited about this! I've watched every single Godzilla movie through this year and can say I like the majority of them.

Hope it's still a guy in a suit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:48 am Reply with quote
Its sad when the company needs inspiration by success of a franchise done by someone else to give them a reason to put out a new film of a new series into production. TOHO worries me. Hopefully they can make a good film.

It's been a while since they did it, but I wonder if there problems at TOHO that kept them from making new films about giant monsters. (unless they were no one heard of them...)
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:01 am Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
Its sad when the company needs inspiration by success of a franchise done by someone else to give them a reason to put out a new film of a new series into production. TOHO worries me. Hopefully they can make a good film.

It's been a while since they did it, but I wonder if there problems at TOHO that kept them from making new films about giant monsters. (unless they were no one heard of them...)

After reading your comment, I had that same thought. Why wait this long for Toho to make a Godzilla film. I know Godzilla: Final Wars was said to put the big G into hiatus for a while (well 10 years to be at least). I hope the Japanese filmmakers can pull off a next Godzilla film with critical acclaim.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:24 am Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Great Rumbler wrote:
I really hope they stick to the style of the older Godzilla movies, instead of just trying to ape the new version, because there's no way they can put nearly enough money into this to pull that off.

I assume they will. It's not like America will acknowledge or run this movie in theaters due to it having Asian leads and being in Japanese, so they have no reason to ape the American movie. I did not like the US movies so I am looking forward to a true to the original Godzilla
Well I came into this thread for the typical passive aggressive anti western post from you or one of the others and was not disappointed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Wrangler wrote:

After reading your comment, I had that same thought. Why wait this long for Toho to make a Godzilla film. I know Godzilla: Final Wars was said to put the big G into hiatus for a while (well 10 years to be at least). I hope the Japanese filmmakers can pull off a next Godzilla film with critical acclaim.

Well, that said, it must be undeniable that the success of the (Hollywood) Godzilla movie was the fire lit under TOHO. Perhaps TOHO thought the Japanese public tired of Godzilla movies, when they were just tired of bland Godzilla movies.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Japan Godzilla in 2016; Hollywood Godzilla in 2018.

They could tag team every other couple years like the Summer and Winter Olympics!
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Well, that said, it must be undeniable that the success of the (Hollywood) Godzilla movie was the fire lit under TOHO. Perhaps TOHO thought the Japanese public tired of Godzilla movies, when they were just tired of bland Godzilla movies.

Well despite I thought Godzilla: Final Wars was a cool film. The problem was that movie's box office profit was short of it's budget. It made over 12 million dollars and the budget for that film was $19,500,000. So looks like it was a bit of a flop despite being a good film. Maybe that's why they put Godzilla on hiatus. I don't think the Japanese public was tired, nor the movie were bland (although I do agree some Godzilla films didn't meet my expectation).
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
ReifuTD wrote:
I would love it if they take a queue from Marvel and how then do their movies. Like not just focus on Godzilla but the other kaiju Toho has. Maybe do like two or three movies a year. Like start with a Godzilla movie, then do a Mothra movie fallowed by a King Ghidorah movie. The next movie would be a Godzilla move again fallowed by two other monster movies like maybe another Mothra movie or a Rodan one. Even an Baragon or Anguirus based movie. At some point do a big monster team up movieAnguirus and Rodan could fight weaker and or less known kaiju in their movies.

Although Mothra is a classic (the twinz Anime smile ), I've never actually seen the 60's Rodan solo movie, since he/she/it never...really...seemed all that danged interesting.
This ISN'T Marvel, where desperate companies can give reasonably complex villains a spinoff and hope for franchise--Godzilla's foes are even less complex than he is, and only exist to turn GZ's force-of-nature into an antihero. (Heck, practically 70% of the '14 USGZ was Mutos In Love, how interesting were they?)

That's one of the basic filmmaking problems of giant reptiles who don't talk. (Except for Godzilla vs. Gigan, of course.)

mdo7 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

Well despite I thought Godzilla: Final Wars was a cool film. The problem was that movie's box office profit was short of it's budget. It made over 12 million dollars and the budget for that film was $19,500,000. So looks like it was a bit of a flop despite being a good film. Maybe that's why they put Godzilla on hiatus. I don't think the Japanese public was tired, nor the movie were bland (although I do agree some Godzilla films didn't meet my expectation).

Between King Ghidorah and Millennium/2000, they were putting them out as series episodes every year or two up to FW, and any movie series needs a familiarity-breeds-contempt breather by that point. (Dreamworks seems to be having the same problems we speak.)
The fact that Final Wars had to be "rebooted" with the current flashy discovery of the month director was a good sign they needed a rest break.

At least the '14 US Godzilla taking the image back to its Dr. Serizawa roots is a new direction for them, and the Japanese fans have stopped making those dopey "tuna" jokes and thinking they're original. (O-kay, we heard the line from Final Wars too!)
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

Well one issue I had with the millennium era of Godzilla is it feel like don't have much gumption to watch them. I haven't seen them all but from what I seen and been told the movies where each reboots. I don't feel compelled to watch one reboot after another.

The 80s and 90s Godzilla movies were very continuity heavy and had some the weirdest and beast movies of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3