• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Love Live! Idols Are 1st Anime Character Group to Top Weekly Album Chart Since K-ON!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackanapes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Knight Baron wrote:

This is really subjective, especially what's defined by "better" to different people's standards. I've been familiar with the CG mobage long before the anime aired and while I'm disappointed characters like Kaede (one of my favorites) weren't included in the main cast (most likely due to how expensive her seiyuu is...then again they have Ranko in and she's voiced by Maaya Uchida), the fact of the matter is people have different tastes/opinions. The CG cast is huge and at the end of the day, they can't satisfy everybody. It was either a focus approach or they would have made the anime into a "group of idols" of the week to cover the extensive cast.

Kaede is Hayami Saori right? I know she's kind of the most popular female seiyuu right now, but they can more than afford her between Bandai and Sony money, I think it's just an issue of too many characters not enough time to give them all focus.
Ejc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Of course, this isn't to take anything away from Love Live. It has obviously mastered what otaku want to see in an idol show and has capitalized every chance is has. It is a true juggernaut these days.

I think its success comes from the fact that it has mastered the ability to appeal to as many people as possible rather than just the typical audience for a series about cute girls. The series has collaborations with brands that are aimed at a wide variety of demographics which is a testament to its far reaching success. & the show being repeated on Disney Channel shows that it has managed to somewhat bridge the gap between shoujo idol shows aimed at younger girls and the seinen idol shows aimed at the more typical otaku crowd.

Love Live! has a pretty solid fanbase consisting of adult males and adult females (mostly in the 20s/30s age group), and teenage males/females (who make up a smaller portion of the fanbase since most are students after all). Contrary to popular belief in the Western community, Love Live! is very popular with females. Check out this headline (which reads "Idol anime Love Live!, popular with females, adapted to a game and a movie") from the Nikkei newspaper in August 2014.

It also has many casual fans as evident by how many players the mobage has (it hit 10 million for the JP+traditional CN + simplified CN + KR + EN games on Dec 8 2014, where the JP game was at 6 million by itself, but the JP game has hit 9 million on Apr 22 2015). The BD/DVD and the music would be selling much higher than this, if these casual fans were to try out the rest of the franchise.

The mobage however is pulling in new fans to the franchise pretty easily, as the 1st Best Live Collection would not be able to sell an average of almost 1K units for the last 125 consecutive weeks since release in 2013, without the new mobage players. The mobage also single handedly brought Klab Games from the red in 2013 to the black in 2014, which is amazing really.

Not to mention that the 3rd concert has sold 40,480 BDs and 4,444 DVDs, while the 4th concert has sold 49,334 BDs and 10,516 DVDs. These are really good numbers... as you can compare that to the K-ON! live which managed 37,203 BDs and 8,421 DVDs. Of course, Love Live! pales in comparison to K-ON! if we compare the CD sales... but it did better in the anime BD/DVD department. If only we can compare the movie sales and movie gross between the 2 big franchises, but K-ON! is not an idol franchise, so it is tough to compare.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2