• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Non Non Biyori Repeat

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:50 am Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
Quote:
i'm new to this series..

but is this similar to Haruhi 2009 ?

It is nothing at all like that. The original series covered a full school year. This series covers the same school year but involves different days and events. Since there were only 12 episodes before there are a lot a days not covered.

Both seasons of this series are available on Crunchyroll. If you have access to this just try it. As I said elsewhere, you will be instantly captivated by the show or bored to tears.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:59 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
Quote:
i'm new to this series..

It is nothing at all like that. The original series covered a full school year. This series covers the same school year but involves different days and events. Since there were only 12 episodes before there are a lot a days not covered.

Both seasons of this series are available on Crunchyroll. If you have access to this just try it. As I said elsewhere, you will be instantly captivated by the show or bored to tears.

thanks i'l give it a try

usually should able to tell after the 1st episode if i like the series or not
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only person who wonders whether or not the demon girl Meringue is canon to Non Non Biyori?

Hikage Miyauchi appears in both Koakuma Meringue and Non Non Biyori, but I suppose she could be like Daria Morgendorffer, who originated in Beavis and Butthead, but, when she got her own cartoon, the characters Beavis and Butthead were not "canon" to it. Hikage does wear a shirt that says "Meringue" in one episode of the Non Non Biyori anime, but that could just be a nod to the Koakuma Meringue manga without acknowledging the existence of the Meringue character within the canon of the anime version of Non Non Biyori. (Within the Non Non Biyori canon, "Meringue" could be a fashion label or just some random text.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
Worked fine for Hidamari Sketch. If you need to have your episodes in order, you're not slice of life enough. Cool

Yuru yuri is even stuck in a time-loop(complete with meta jokes), its indeed rather common for comedy SoL series to not be in order.

Same goes for minami-ke, how many winters and summers have they spend in the same school year now? Or Ichigo Mashirmo, time also seemed like it has not moved at all in that series. Or that SoL manga(the name escapes me) written by ABe.. or yotsuba..
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote
This show's super-relaxed atmosphere frequently causes my mind to wander. This isn't a complaint, mind you.
Jajanken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Missing action? You know this is a SUPER lax slice of life right
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
Or Ichigo Mashirmo, time also seemed like it has not moved at all in that series.

The Ichigo Mashimaro/Strawberry Marshmallow manga definitely has a floating timeline.

The Ichigo Mashimaro anime is a special case. The TV series only ran for one cour and the timeline for the TV series began in April and finished in December, with an epilogue in the following April showing the start of the next school year.

The first OVA series is where things get interesting: Chika and Miu look noticeably older, like they're young teenagers instead of older tweens. I suspect this was an earnest attempt to continue the timeline of the TV series into the following year.

However, in the second OVA series, Ichigo Mashimaro Encore, everyone looks like they took babyfication pills. They look younger than the TV show, and you know it can't be a prequel because Ana is there. My suspicion is that manga creator Barasui wasn't too thrilled with how Kyuta Sakai aged his characters in the first OVA and made them retcon the character design changes (and then some). I still liked Ichigo Mashimaro Encore, but the infantilization of the characters compared to the first OVA was a bit of a disappointment.

(The weird thing is that Barasui didn't seem to have a problem with aging his characters to high school girls in the endings of the PS2 game and I think he did most of the character artwork in that game himself, since it's the same style as the manga.)

Anyway, at least Non Non Biyori Repeat is circumventing the logic problems associated with floating timelines by explicitly setting the new stories in between the stories from the previous season. The only downside I can see with that approach is that there might be the occasional minor continuity error, but they can explain those away by just making Meringue canon, giving the writers a possible variation of "a wizard did it": "a mischevous demon girl did it".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rikku45

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
Mikeski wrote:
Worked fine for Hidamari Sketch. If you need to have your episodes in order, you're not slice of life enough. Cool

Yuru yuri is even stuck in a time-loop(complete with meta jokes), its indeed rather common for comedy SoL series to not be in order.
What?! Seriously? It sure didn't feel like it to me.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
rikku45 wrote:
Rederoin wrote:
Mikeski wrote:

What?! Seriously? It sure didn't feel like it to me.

Remember how the 2nd years went on the exact same school trip, twice?
They even ended up buying the same souviner, which they only noticed when they got back.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

i'm new to this series..

Non Non Biyori is not exactly comparable to "Endless Eight" though there is one key similarity: the few brief moments that are repeated from the first season (like Hotaru's introduction to the class) are actually re-animated from scratch rather than just using recycled footage, just like how every repeated scene in "Endless Eight" is drawn from a different angle.

I think the point of the repeated moments in Non Non Biyori Repeat are simply to show the audience where the new stories fit within the timeline of the first season, not to mention giving brief re-caps of character introductions for new viewers.
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
The funniest part of Ep.3 was how Renge was expressing in surprisingly eloquent terms what her sister's role was as a teacher, and how it took Kazuho aback, almost like Renge knew more about being a teacher than she did.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4 of Non Non Biyori Repeat seems to be a parallel episode to the fourth episode of the original series in that they're both very emotional episodes focused on Renge, even if the specifics are quite different. I'm not sure if this is deliberate mirroring of the emotional beats in the first season or whether this is just the most natural point in the seasonal cycle to tell this particular story.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:00 am Reply with quote
Despite the superstition, 4 seems to be the magic number for incredibly nice slice-of-life shows. Episode 4 of Sketchbook ~full color'S~ is one of my top 5 individual episodes for its perfect tonal control, wonderfully captivating sense of exploration, and lovely message about the unique nature of every person's perspective on the world, and about how the expression of that nature is art and the appreciation of that nature in others is personal growth. Unsurprisingly, that episode was storyboarded by Junichi Sato (of Aria), who's a master of the slice-of-life craft.

Episode 4 of Non Non Biyori Repeat, however, was directed by Jun Fukuda, who's got, well, an interesting résumé. The storyboard for the episode were done by Shinya Kawamo himself, though, so that may be the secret ingredient.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:00 am Reply with quote
That was a wonderful episode which proved that it works perfectly fine to convey emotions without the anime-typical "screaming and crying" melodrama.
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
It is episodes like this that remind me why I love SoL anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5