• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax Ignition Makes The irregular at magic high school's Tatsuya Pla

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoremaC-_-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Snackster1001 wrote:
Guys, it's just a video game. Tatsuya is from a popular dengeki bunko novel, therefore they added him. Geez, all this talk about "the anime industry falling, no more gud main char. >Sad " has no place or merit here (just because certain series or characters are popular doesn't mean all main character are the same or same quality).

except they're not talking about the anime industry; this is a game based on the light novel line up and what everyone is talking about is how the anime industry is diluting the light novel industry. in the sense that the bad habbits of the anime industry is affecting the lightnovel industry, the anime industry has been nothing but mary sue characters (exception being evangelion) for a very long time. but it's only recently become a problem once the bad lightnovels got cult appeal by apealing to the anime fanatics and began mitigating new standards for light novels (i.e. cute girls on every light novel cover, mary sue self insert characters(makes reading monologues of mary sues very painful) and very slow pacing and minimal actual dialogue so then anime adaptions function better.)

and in response to OH&S comment about popularity, that's simply a result of the anime boosting the light novel sales, which is kinda depressing to think that a lightnovel can only be successful if it's an anime. so it's less; this lightnovel is more popular, and more; the animes popularity is flowing into the light novel sales. if the lightnovel itself was truly popular then it wouldn't need an anime. you'll see a similar thing occur in the upcoming heavy object anime.

now onto the actual article; as an avid dengeki reader, i know by now what the target demograph of the game is. and in regards to the response to the anime adaptions; i.e. sword art, magic iregular, oreimo, durarara and railgun, were the only substantially successful anime addaptions with tora dora also being a very good adaption of a very good series (but since the popularity has died down over the years it won't see much). and with the unessesary presence of sega characters in the game it's also become clear that this is also a marketing ploy to establish a brand identity across the anime and lightnovel industry and through multiple media's.

with that said i have no hopes for this game anymore; i'm a fan of french breads other games and enjoy some of dengeki's books and this was such wasted potenti
al. if they put in a character like Touma or Acqua of the Rear; then i might consider buying a game where-in; there is now at least a single character that i would actually want to play. i mean seriously; who actually read this and thought: oh wow, i would love to play this black haired pretty boy who has no personality, a harem and uncanny competence, independence, plot powers (this guy's a time traveling god or something right?.. sigh). we already have 2 cardboard cut-out protagonists in this game! (would be much more if this game wasn't so waifu centric).
T.Silver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Trivia Tim wrote:
Well apparently his sister wasn't enough. They just HAD to make Gary Stu playable. The fact that this series is successful enough to get two playable characters is incredibly tragic. The Japanese anime fandom has no standards, or any idea on what good writing is. It's pretty bad that protagonists have become such shallow, self insert characters, that they are making me miss Shinji from Evangelion. At least he was flawed, and not some bland, perfect, escapist character. At this rate, the anime industry will be nothing but bad self insert fanfiction. Series like this are basically the pathetic, Japanese male, equivalent of 50 Shades of Gray and Twilight.

^There always has to be a self righteous snob who thinks their opinion is better than everyone else's in the forums.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Too bad there aren't any Mortal Kombat-style fatalities in this game. The thought of, say, Kirito decapitating Tatsuya or Shizuo dropping a vending machine on top of Tatsuya's head brings me great joy. Would there even be anything left of Tatsuya if he took a direct center-mass hit from Misaka's railgun?
Silver4000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised with all the character hate.
Though I found that the anime was lacking because it seemed to me that the Light Novel had lots of information about things, and everything couldn't be transmitted to the screen. Which made me a bit curious.

As for the character per se, he's a godlike one, I can't remember that many who are practically Jesus. As long as he killed people, why not. In every other anime the MCs get OP because of friendship and stuff and no one ever dies, so yeah, let Jesus nii-sama kill people. Better than a training arc, which are completely lame in my opinion.

And the game, the more the merrier. Since it's based on the LN branch of Dengeki, it's natural that they would pick up the popular characters. Isn't it already good that they are choosing characters from light novels that are already over?
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry guys, he has a critical flaw. Every time he uses a magic attack he has to spend 15 minutes explaining how he did it while a bunch of cute girls look on in amazement.
Necessity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Too bad there aren't any Mortal Kombat-style fatalities in this game. The thought of, say, Kirito decapitating Tatsuya or Shizuo dropping a vending machine on top of Tatsuya's head brings me great joy. Would there even be anything left of Tatsuya if he took a direct center-mass hit from Misaka's railgun?

Those would all be really funny and awesome. Tatsuya's one would have to be a trident decomposition, turning the opponent into dust and leaving small ball of burning gas that ignited when it interacted with oxygen in its place.

and Silver, that's an amusing character analysis and I agree that can get old with the training arc in the stories, I liked the change, its interesting to see what happens when the main character is OP from the beggining. Ofcourse what makes it interesting is that there magic powers can't really be put on a power level chart, its more like rock, paper, scissors.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'll have to look into this Tatsuya character to see what the big fuss is about and to have an opinion for the next time something about The Irregular at Magic High School comes up.
T.Silver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:

He would still regenerate as long as his brain was still intact.

OP: I'm interested to see how'd they nerf him, because he would one shot everyone otherwise.

Hyperdrve wrote:
I guess I'll have to look into this Tatsuya character to see what the big fuss is about and to have an opinion for the next time something about The Irregular at Magic High School comes up.

Read the light novels, anime does portray his character that well.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
T.Silver wrote:
Read the light novels, anime does portray his character that well.

I see that there aren't yet any official English releases of the LNs but that doesn't matter since I wouldn't have purchased them without first previewing them from an unofficial source. But depending on where I can find them, I might end up reading the LNs in addition to watching the anime.
T.Silver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:

I see that there aren't yet any official English releases of the LNs but that doesn't matter since I wouldn't have purchased them without first previewing them from an unofficial source. But depending on where I can find them, I might end up reading the LNs in addition to watching the anime.

I have a link where you can download them, if you want it.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote
That'd make it much easier. I think it would be best if you send it as a PM.

Edit: Since I'm not sure about ANN's stance on links of unofficial releases.

Edit 2:Point #10 answers my own question.
OH&S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
NoremaC-_- wrote:
and in response to OH&S comment about popularity, that's simply a result of the anime boosting the light novel sales, which is kinda depressing to think that a lightnovel can only be successful if it's an anime. so it's less; this lightnovel is more popular, and more; the animes popularity is flowing into the light novel sales. if the lightnovel itself was truly popular then it wouldn't need an anime. you'll see a similar thing occur in the upcoming heavy object anime.

None of this refutes my original statement. It is currently Dengeki's #2 series in terms of sales per new volume the most obvious measure of popularity. Whether the sales are anime boosted or not is irrelevant with that measure.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Necessity wrote:
Now I will not deny that his "sister" is a Mary Sue but that only increases the contrast between the two siblings.

Why would you put quotes on sister?

NoremaC-_- wrote:
and in response to OH&S comment about popularity, that's simply a result of the anime boosting the light novel sales, which is kinda depressing to think that a lightnovel can only be successful if it's an anime.

That is really kind of backwards. Popular Light Novels get anime adaptions which in turn make them more popular. It isn't like they take unpopular series, make an anime for it, and the series magically becomes popular because it has an anime.
Necessity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I suppose you could call it a personal wish (Something that I thought would be an interesting plot twist or something I read somewhere), I really shouldn't have done it.

In a way that post was half right, animes does usual increase the popularity of the light novel/manga that they are based on. Though it seriously underestimates the popularity of the books before the anime. What you will find most is that alot of non-japanesse fluent people, that are cut off from light novels,etc because they aren't in there language will find a story that they like through anime and then take the time and effort to find a translation for that specific series. It is such a pain to find those things, how I wish I could speak/read japenesse.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:11 am Reply with quote
oh dear theres alot of tatsuya hate here, im honestly surprised though i liked his powerful presence once i realized that he was 'actually' too powerful i did lose some interest in him but never downright hate over him unlike another character. IMO tatsuya's way too machine like for me to really treat him as a 'character' so i guess i wasnt too bothered by the way admittedly poorly portrayed him as OP, i've been hearing alot about the LN being better so i'll definitely give it a read ...someday.

now i must admit i'm disappointed that tatsuya is a main character while accelerator and toma (aka Captain toma) are still assist characters. oh i'd love to hear that glass breaking effect from toma as an attack or even a counterattack. Hell he's the perfect counter to all these op characters... unless shizuo actually makes it here lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3