• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
These Manga Need An Anime!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote
I'd love to see Teppu get an adaptation. That is a manga that definitely deserves attention.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:35 am Reply with quote
Personally, I hope Minamoto-kun monogatari, Horimiya (dedicated series not OVAs) , and Orange (Tanako Ichigo) will be animated.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:35 am Reply with quote
100% yes for Übel Blatt. It's basically Berserk-light: It's gory and violent and sexually explicit, but not quite as much as Berserk, it's art is excellent, but not quite as good as Berserk's, and the characters are all well-written, but not quite as well as in Berserk. Also: revenge-based plot? Check. MC is (at one point in the story) known as the Black Swordsman? Check. MC kills 100 men single-handedly and is badly wounded as a result? Check. Well-thought out political intrigue and complex, dark story? Check.
That's not to say it's bad; it's clearly heavily inspired by Berserk, and not quite as good, but "not quite as good as Berserk" is hardly a dismissal. It's an excellent manga and is basically the next best dark fantasy manga after Berserk. Anyone who's thirsting for more of that flavor of manga need look no further than Übel Blatt.
For an anime adaptation, I think Madhouse, Production I.G. or Bones would be the only studios to really do it justice (maybe ufotable). Only problem is the manga isn't over, so that might be problematic.
MadHi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
I'd like to see manga side stories of anime get adaptations such as Gundam (Crossbone, F90, The Last Outpost, SEED Destiny Astray, etc), Transformers (Zone, Battlestars series).

Last edited by MadHi on Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:48 am Reply with quote
Ubel Blatt is also my number one desired manga-to-anime adaptation. I've also been using the same logic for the hardcore sex and violence - if Berserk can get an anime, so can this. Come on Madhouse, you know you want to do this one.

I'd also love to see an anime of Shoukoku no Altair. It's not every day you see a series set in a fantasy version of the Ottoman Empire. The politics are great. One could say that Arslan is currently occupying the Middle Eastern fantasy niche, but that's not really a very crowded subgenre right now...Well, if the day Altair gets an anime ever comes, hopefully it gets better animation than Arslan, at least...

I'm going to have to find a new "most desired shoujo anime" now that Akagami no Shirayukihime has been adapted. (Besides, you know, Yona season 2...)

As long as we're talking impossible dreams...I would love to see an anime adaptation of Dokuhime. It's a dark fantasy josei with a great twisting plot that redefines what you think you know about the characters approximately once a chapter. And being only 5 volumes long, it could fit comfortably into a single cour, especially if they take out the first chapter which is essentially just a prologue. It could be fantastic if done by a studio excelling in atmosphere...MAPPA or maybe Bones...

A 5-volume josei series from 2002...Okay, yeah, I know it's never going to happen, but let me dream...

penguintruth wrote:
Even though the train left the station a long time ago, Naoki Urasawa's 20th Century Boys should have an animated adaptation. The live-action movies were decent, but a full animated series (and 21CB OVA) would be sublime.

Amen. You never know, we've had a slew of old shounen and seinen being adapted recently, and Urasawa seems more than well-loved enough in Japan to justify an anime.

Seriously Japan. Make this happen.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:51 am Reply with quote
Hmm, Psyren never got an anime adaptation, did it? I liked it, and I know it's reasonably popular in the west, but I heard it was never that popular in Japan, so I can see why it was never adapted.

Considering the revival of Dragon Ball stuff and Jaco suddenly appearing in the movies (at least it wasn't like everyone suddenly knew who he was though), I think an anime adaptation of Jaco the Galactic Patrolman would be nice too, to provide some context as to who he is for people who don't read manga. It's way slower and more contemplative than Akira Toriyama's other works though. The first half of it is just literally two people conversing on an otherwise uninhabited island.

Cage of Eden sounds like a shonen Lord of the Flies.

Quote:
It's sometimes tempting to rant about how there are no original ideas anymore, titles are getting more niche, but perhaps a better, or at least different, way to look at this trend is to see it as a way for some of our favorite manga series from all genres to actually get the anime adaptations that they deserve.

On the other hand, sometimes, the manga deserves better, like with World Trigger.

penguintruth wrote:
Even though the train left the station a long time ago, Naoki Urasawa's 20th Century Boys should have an animated adaptation. The live-action movies were decent, but a full animated series (and 21CB OVA) would be sublime.

Oh yeah, that'd be awesome. There'd be no chance of anything in English beyond streaming though, considering the cold reception Monster's English dub got.

Megiddo wrote:
Give me a Vinland Saga anime. And please don't mention that crossover short from a month ago.

Vinland Saga never got one? I'm pretty surprised about that. I just thought that no one talks about it, or that it existed but it bombed.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
This list needs more Vinland Saga,and Dorohedoro(though this one will never happen for a variety of reasons)!

Last edited by Themaster20000 on Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
cloud8100

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:59 am Reply with quote
Vinland Saga and Psyren anime would be great to see. And the rest of Pandora Hearts.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
OK, so no eccentric billionaire has yet stepped forward to get Junichi Sato and chums to adapt Hitoshi Ashinaho's Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, because that's really what it would take, someone throwing a lot of money at it and not expecting a return for their money.

Minoru Toyoda's Love Roma has always struck me as something that should have got an anime. It's only five volumes so you could probably do a single season, and it's a high school romcom that doesn't mess about, but is direct and to the point from the first page.
Konopan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote
Where's Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer though? Would love to see Trigger/Bones/IG Pro/MAPPA take a crack at it or any of the author's other works
neilcfreak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:16 am Reply with quote
From Erocia with Love is also really great and has been ongoing since the 70s
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
Well, what I can immediately think of would be, in no particular order

{Unannotated lists are not allowed. ~nobahn}

- Nausicaä, covering the entire manga (movie gets only partway through)
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
I would buy Cage of Eden and / or Citrus, even if they were put out by <GASP> PonyCan in uber delux format.

There's another half dozen mentions in this thread that should and would get Anime adaptations in any sane world, Vinland Saga, Yotsuba&!, Minamoto-kun. Unfortunately the only world we've got is this one. Shocked

Mark Gosdin
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
I'd LOVE to see a Red River adaptation! The biggest problem would be the art style though. It's really outdated, and I think it would need a pretty big make-over to survive these days.

invalidname wrote:
I'd like to see Natsumi Ando's shoujo mystery Arisa get an anime adaptation.

Seconding the vote for Arisa. There were so many plots twists and false leads that I could barely keep them all straight. It's make a nice anime.

Going through my own list of manga, other things I'd love to see adapted:

Absolute Boyfriend Yeah, it's already gotten some dramas and things, but I'd still love an anime.

Black Bird If Kamisama Kiss (which really needs a season 3 imo) can do well, I think Black Bird can manage it too.

Hana Kimi This could do so well as a drawn out shojo. With the popularity of sports anime right now, if you twisted the plot to focus on the high jumping a bit more, I think it'd be really marketable to that crowd.

The Legend of Princess Sakura/Sakura-Hime Fantasy, romance, some great battle scenes...what more could you want?

And slightly off topic, but I'd love for Fruits Basket and Tsubasa to be done over and follow their mangas. And for Kare Kano to actually finish =P

Last edited by WashuTakahashi on Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Niyari

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote
i really would like to see Citrus as an anime as well. The Rising of the Shield is another title i think would lend itself to an anime adaptation pretty well with its fast pacing and game world. in fact, i feel like it's just a matter of time at this point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11