• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Adapted Dubs Still Being Made?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mune

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I think many people tend to remember the more popular adaptations by 4kids. Many have forgotten that Yu Yu Hakusho had 3 versions. 1 was the original from Japan, 2 was the Funimation uncut (swearing ensued), and 3 the cut Funimation version where they cut the offensivr laguage, references to alcohol and smoking, and some blood.

Did fans complain when it was #2? Not really.

Did they complain about #3? You better believe it!

Changing language to cater viewers is acceptable, but changing visual content is not.
ryonomiko
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
So Justin please explain the mutilated dub jobs Funimation has done and continues to do for various series NOT aimed at kids. WHY?!!!

Initial D
Free! Eternal Summer (I will be utterly dishearted to learn Kyoto Animation APPROVED of those dub scripts!)
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
It comes down to WHO OWNS THEM. As does most law in the Western Hemisphere.

If 4Kids licenses the series, they're more interested in syndicating a mainstream kids' show; if Funi licenses the show, they're more interested in pitching a straight dub to core anime streaming/disk fans.
Funi could have gotten Smile Precure, but the syndie people thought they smelled a mainstream-marketing deal and got there first.

If you want to argue "Why would 4Kids/Saban still want to syndicate a show, syndication is dead!", well, apart from cable, that's true. Glitter had to go to Netflix, like all the other journeyman kids' shows.
But anyone who still says "All dubs are cheesy and evil because of 4Kids!", I think we know which decade someone grew up in... Razz

Last edited by EricJ2 on Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind changing the script a bit since some cultural references will obviously go over people's heads but I do mind completely changing the music in a show as well cutting so many scenes that entire episodes wind up disappearing or combined into some kind of patchwork episode.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Are kids still the main audience buying the stuff for these shows that people got into >10 years ago though, since there is little attrition with PKMN (sales seem stable so I doubt NEW people have even been brought in to games as of late and they continue to cater to hardcores more and more, and age for card tourneys has gone up), I dont think a mom choosing pkmn for her kid to watch is actually happening. PKMN doesnt even come in theaters anymore (in US). Konami has ditched YGO handheld games as well, so YGO seems to have scaled upwards too. I can only imagine its kids of parents who grew up playing pkmn is the only audience showing kids 8yo and younger pkmn while the rest are older teens and young adults.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
and what's worse,it's for Netflix,the last place you would think they would need to do this...

To the contrary, I think it was a brilliant decision. Kids today aren't too interested in watching things from a TV set. They're savvy enough to get all their media from their computers (except movies at the theater, as that experience can't be easily replicated). So by bringing Glitter Force to Netflix, they're taking the show straight to where kids' eyes will be focused on.

Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I'm thankful for series like FMA that can be adapted with as little changes as possible to the original content, but that said, if it weren't for Saturday morning "cartoons" (oooh, there's that word) like Cardcaptors, Pokemon, and Yu-Gi-Oh! I never would've taken a closer look and learned anything about these shows' origins and about anime at large.

That, and Fullmetal Alchemist is full of stuff that 4Kids would not have wanted in their shows and cannot be easily edited out or explained away. The protagonist and deuteragonist are dedicated to bringing their dead mother back to life. The first episode has a corrupt priest as its villain. Not far in, one character fuses his daughter and his dog together in a painful way. And while Brotherhood hadn't yet come out, both directions the series takes becomes about a large conspiracy where authority figures cannot be trusted.

The 2003 anime came out at a time when 4Kids was snatching up licenses left and right too, with Viz and FUNimation having to pick up the leftovers.

CaptainAvatar wrote:
My all-time favorite westernization adaptation came in the original Pretty Cure dub where Takoyaki became donut holes! Laughing

At least they look like donut holes.

ChibiGoku wrote:
For that matter, the United States is one of the few countries that actively heavily modifies their shows significantly to suit an audience, not counting some countries in the Middle East and the like, of course. It's something I don't actively understand. For a place where we're such a diverse culture, we tend to be xenophobic to other cultures being represented in our media. I really just don't get that. For the record, this is not even talking about the censorship angle for violence and sexual content, but rather culture related material that tends to get re-written or cut out entirely.

Most countries have had a long history of getting their entertainment imported in from other countries, so they're used to seeing cultural quirks and all that. The United States is one of the few that don't, and Canada gets nearly everything from the United States, is culturally similar to the United States, and whose domestic entertainment is extremely heavily influenced by work from the United States.

Because of that, Americans are not used to seeing productions from other cultures, and even the slightest thing could be strange and unfamiliar to them.

There's also the paranoia that comes with being a leading world power. People of the United States take a lot of pride living in the United States, and, relatively recently in history, have just come out of the Cold War, where the threat of invasion and takeover was very real. Feared in particular is cultural takeover, whether it be Soviet Russia during much of the 20th century, Japan in the 80's and 90's, China right afterwards, or Islamic extremists to this day. Hence, between that and the "Think of the children!" mentality, there is this fear of children watching something overly foreign and then behaving overly foreign themselves.

Ian K wrote:
I think people are being WAY too harsh on Glitter Force. In fact, it might be one of the most important anime releases of the decade.

Lots of anime fans first watched heavily edited/westernized shows like Cardcaptors or Robotech as kids, before they knew what 'anime' was. Those much-maligned kids shows laid the foundation of the fandom we are a part of today. However, anime is disappearing from the airwaves, and that avenue for introducing kids to the medium is being lost.

What Netflix is doing, releasing a sanitized version of an anime in their squeaky-clean 'Kids' section, is introducing children to anime again, in a way that won't upset parents. They literally trying to create the next generation of anime fans.

Of course it still sucks for the adult Pretty Cure fans that they don't get a faithful physical release. But if this succeeds with the actual target audience of little girls, it could benefit the anime fan community as a whole.

Agreed. With Naruto being pushed to the late night blocks and Pokémon banished to early mornings, the anime business needs a good gateway series that can stand up to parental scrutiny.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
ryonomiko wrote:
So Justin please explain the mutilated dub jobs Funimation has done and continues to do for various series NOT aimed at kids. WHY?!!!

Initial D
Free! Eternal Summer (I will be utterly dishearted to learn Kyoto Animation APPROVED of those dub scripts!)

What was wrong with the ES dub, I watched it twice and loved it as much as the sub. Their lines made them fit right into most modern RinHaru, NAgiRei fic universes, which I loved immensely.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Ian K wrote:
johnnysasaki wrote:

and what's worse,it's for Netflix,the last place you would think they would need to do this...

I think people are being WAY too harsh on Glitter Force. In fact, it might be one of the most important anime releases of the decade.

Lots of anime fans first watched heavily edited/westernized shows like Cardcaptors or Robotech as kids, before they knew what 'anime' was. Those much-maligned kids shows laid the foundation of the fandom we are a part of today. However, anime is disappearing from the airwaves, and that avenue for introducing kids to the medium is being lost.

What Netflix is doing, releasing a sanitized version of an anime in their squeaky-clean 'Kids' section, is introducing children to anime again, in a way that won't upset parents. They literally trying to create the next generation of anime fans.

Of course it still sucks for the adult Pretty Cure fans that they don't get a faithful physical release. But if this succeeds with the actual target audience of little girls, it could benefit the anime fan community as a whole.

nothing justifies cutting out 8 episodes for streaming.And if they had given us the original subbed version of Smile Precure as an alternative option if you don't want to watch the edited Glitter Force dub(Netflix has both versions of Digimon.A win-win situation for everyone)I wouldn't be complaining now,I wouldn't even remember that Glitter Force will be a thing that exist.
But no,we will be only getting the edited dub,and for that,I have no reason to support that.I will watch the first episode and give a 1 star rating to send them the message...
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
The funny thing is there is a dub kids merchandise anime that is faithful correct me if I am wrong on Youtube Bushiroads Cardfight Vangaurd G going on to Gir Crisis currently and before sales for it fell Future Card Buddyfight 100. So faithful shows do exist just on the internet
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Besides, it's a simple matter of just ignoring the dub and just keep watching the original japanese version.

The one caveat here is that some companies actively try to keep subtitled versions of these shows from happening/being available. Although 4Kids, somehow, managed to get the entirety of Sonic X subbed on Hulu for streaming, TMS won't allow Discotek to put it on home video (for now). I'm pretty sure similar nonsense goes on with Pokémon, and that doesn't even get subtitled streaming.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
ChibiGoku, you're wrong. I might have said this before, but may I remind you of Europe's attitude towards anime until RECENTLY? It's not just the USA. The French took longer than us to receive a good dub of Dragon Ball. The French dub of DB was actually worse than the US dubs because the French dub influenced almost every DBZ dub in Europe. Only the Italians were spared. Outside of Asia and Italy, there were no good DBZ dubs.

Why are people so selective? It's not just the US. Look at the history of anime from the 70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s in Europe. It's worse than us. Also, instead of making solid dubs, all they did was take our dubs and make the language different.
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
If you have to replace the soundtracks and invent dialogue for an English dub to make it sell, the show obviously never should have been licensed to begin with. It's deeply disrespectful to the original work to take so many liberties.

If the Japanese owners really cared about such things, wouldn't you think they would mandate TPCi to only use the original soundtrack?
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I think a big problem has more to do with what is considered a "kids" show and what isn't. Dragon Ball, Attack on Titan, and Pokemon are three entirely different target age groups and content groups altogether. And, as stated in the write-up, They are series on entirely different levels of appeal and ubiquity. Frankly speaking, AoT may be an otaku favorite, but the rest of the world could really care less. As such, a lot less effort is taken to make it amenable to other audiences.

Can young children learn about the nuances and intricacies of a story like AoT? Sure. You can't underestimate the intelligence of youngsters nowadays. But their patience is another thing entirely. Some changes really are superfluous and unnecessary, but most are aimed at making the show simpler and more familiar to an audience that yes can learn to understand the unedited content, but more often than not has no patience to spend the time to learn it.

So if a show is full of stuff that they don't understand, rather than stick around to hope to make sense of it, or spending time researching it all, They'll drop it and move on to something else. They could care less about dub edit and not dub edit or any such stuff the more seasoned fans do. Heck, most of those outside Japan who now account themselves as anime fans got in because they were hooked by what was an edited show and only cared about the question of edit or unedited long after being immersed into the anime sphere. Yes, some edits are pointless and unnecessary, but is it really that bad that a 10 year old or younger kid isn't seeing a screen constantly splattered with blood or people screaming curse words every other minute?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
johnnysasaki wrote:

To the contrary, I think it was a brilliant decision. Kids today aren't too interested in watching things from a TV set. They're savvy enough to get all their media from their computers (except movies at the theater, as that experience can't be easily replicated). So by bringing Glitter Force to Netflix, they're taking the show straight to where kids' eyes will be focused on.

Actually, we just spent the last thread explaining why not only syndication is dead, but why corporate cable won't let anybody else in the sandbox. (Disney was generous enough to license Doraemon, but the chances of getting on at least one of their channels don't look good if you're not Marvel, Lucas or Phineas & Ferb.)

Nowadays, nearly ALL syndicated or import kids shows--if they don't get a deal with some struggling schedule-desperate mid-tier cable channel like Discovery Kids or Al-Jazeera US (will some other channel please get the English import of The Little Giant? I feel like I'm committing an act of terrorism by Tivo'ing it)--have to go to Netflix, Hulu or Amazon, because...nobody else will show them. Jim Henson used to take his kids' series to HBO because he didn't trust the networks, nowadays "Doozers: the Series" plays as a Hulu exclusive because it doesn't have any choice. Confused

Quote:
Because of that, Americans are not used to seeing productions from other cultures, and even the slightest thing could be strange and unfamiliar to them.

Oh, please. No, this thread tangent stops here.
Fear of Foreign more likely comes from the days of Sandy Frank and Carl Macek, when the animation quality of Voltron or Robotech was not....quite up to the level being shown by Hasbro or Disney Afternoon, so any space-action show dubbed (badly) into English in the mid-80's was considered a cheapo blight on our afternoon channels, except for the geeky fringe that actually sat down long enough to watch them.
Bad dubbing, especially Japanese, still had the kitschy image of Godzilla movies, the shows' apparent lack of a sense of humor didn't help, and the 80's mentality was to whitewash it at all costs.

It became sort of a "tradition" by the time Pokemon and Sailor Moon showed up, even though we already started to suspect where it was coming from and didn't mind.

Quote:

Which brings us back to the get-out-of-the-90's question:
Yes, we grew up wanting a broadcast deal as "validation" that a show was about to be taken seriously in the US, but Netflix aside, who even depends on "the airwaves" anymore for their anime?--People who watch One Piece and Bleach on Cartoon Network??
If people want to watch anime, it's now as close as a keyboard click or a game console, with subs as well as accurate dubs. If Saban wants to pretend it's 1994, hey, at least we get the show, but it's time for them to start packing up the party, as it's been over for a while.
checarlos87

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Mewzard wrote:
There is no reason both the young and old fans can't be catered to in terms of releases.

It's not profitable. In a capitalistic system, that is reason enough for anything.

Яeverse wrote:
Are kids still the main audience buying the stuff for these shows that people got into >10 years ago though, since there is little attrition with PKMN (sales seem stable so I doubt NEW people have even been brought in to games as of late and they continue to cater to hardcores more and more, and age for card tourneys has gone up)

The amount of sales may be "stable", but the people that form part of that amount are not the same as 20 years ago. Many people drop interests throughout their lives, so the fact that Pokémon sales have kept "stable" is definitive proof that new, younger people have been consistently entering the Pokémon world throughout the years.

I write "stable" in quotes because I actually believe Pokémon sales have grown dramatically throughout its almost 20 year history. Pokémon XY was a particularly high point for Pokémon sales. If anything, the sudden recent explosion of Pokémon-themed spinoffs (Pokémon Shuffle, Pokémon GO, Pokkén Tournament, Pokémon Rumble World, Pokémon Art Academy) should be evidence of both how much Pokémon continues to grow and how much it is expected to keep growing.

Not only has Pokémon invaded mobile devices and arcades, but in the console world, Pokémon has now adopted a yearly release schedule much like Call of Duty or Madden. Especially since XY, every year we get a major Pokémon console release:

- 2013: XY
- 2014: ORAS
- 2015: Super Mystery Dungeon
- 2016: Z and also Pokkén Tournament for Wii U

That's a sign of a thriving business right there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13