• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No Anime Nominated for Golden Globes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seska1973

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
The Trump Virus is spreading?
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:16 am Reply with quote
Who cares what a bunch of Old geezers have to say about Animation there generation is dying and will Hopefully be replaced by people who are more open minded when it comes to Anime. Wink
Rensie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:51 am Reply with quote
And who cares?
These things mean nothing and if you want my opinion i see it as a positive thing, mean thet don't meet western standards so less compromising to please apatic and bygots foreign viewers.

I'm happy that videogames lately start to leave the western market too and go for the asian and original version + english subs.

Import and fansub is the only way, and always will be.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:43 am Reply with quote
nhat wrote:

The point of the Golden Globes is just to circle jerk each other.

That's the point of any media awards, and yes, including Anime Awards.

Incidentally, Netflix scores big win with Golden Globes nominations:

• Streaming pioneer Netflix cleaned up at the Golden Globe nominations Thursday, leading the TV nods with eight and earning one for its first feature film, reflecting the rise of online studios in producing original content.

The nominations scored by Netflix for the 73rd Golden Globe Awards came for six different scripted series—from repeat contenders “House of Cards” and “Orange Is The New Black” to new drug cartel drama “Narcos.”

Other digital broadcasters also did well, with Amazon earning five nominations and Hulu nabbing its first.

Cable broadcasters trailed behind their digital peers, with perennial awards giant HBO earning seven nominations and Starz getting six.

Traditional networks ABC, CBS and Fox meanwhile combined for a paltry nine nominations.

So, in terms of nominations: streaming > cable > network TV
Who would've expected that?

Back when it was just network TV, cable came and pushed the envelope. Now it's streaming that's pushing the envelope. For that reason, more and more personalities want to work in a streaming series, where they can get more recognition, while satisfying the populace's new predilection to binge-watch rather than take it week-by-week.

At least the recent 2015 Game Awards acknowledged some games all over the world:

• Game of the Year

Bloodborne (FromSoftware / Sony Computer Entertainment)
    Fallout 4 (Bethesda Game Studios / Bethesda Softworks)
    Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Kojima Productions / Konami)
    Super Mario Maker (Nintendo)
    The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (CD Projekt Red / Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment) - WINNER

Developer of the Year

Bethesda Game Studios
    CD Projekt Red - WINNER
    FromSoftware
    Kojima Productions
    Nintendo

Best Independent Game

Axiom Verge (Tom Happ)
    Her Story (Sam Barlow)
    Ori and the Blind Forest (Moon Studios)
    Rocket League (Psyonix) - WINNER
    Undertale (tobyfox)

Best Mobile/Handheld Game

Downwell (Moppin / Devolver Digital)
    Fallout Shelter (Bethesda Game Studios | Behaviour Interactive / Bethesda Softworks)
    Lara Croft GO (Square Enix Montreal / Square Enix) - WINNER
    Monster Hunter 4: Ultimate (Capcom)
    Pac-Man 256 (Hipster Whale / Bandai Namco Entertainment)

Best Narrative

Her Story (Sam Barlow) - WINNER
    Life Is Strange (DONTNOD Entertainment / Square Enix)
    Tales From The Borderlands (TellTale Games)
    The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (CD Projekt Red / Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment)
    Until Dawn (Supermassive Games / Sony Computer Entertainment)

Best Art Direction

Batman: Arkham Knight (Rocksteady Studios / Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment)
    Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Kojima Productions / Konami)
    Ori and the Blind Forest (Moon Studios / Microsoft Studios) - WINNER
    The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (CD Projekt Red / Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment)

Best Score/Soundtrack

Halo 5: Guardians (343 Industries / Microsoft Studios)
    Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Kojima Productions / Konami) - WINNER
    Ori and the Blind Forest (Moon Studios / Microsoft Studios)
    The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (CD Projekt Red/ Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment)

Best Performance

Ashly Burch as Chloe Price (Life is Strange)
    Camilla Luddington as Lara Croft (Rise of the Tomb Raider)
    Doug Cockle as Geralt (The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt)
    Mark Hamill as The Joker (Batman: Arkham Knight)
    Viva Seifert (Her Story) - WINNER

Games for Change Award

Cibele (Nina Freeman)
    Her Story (Sam Barlow)
    Life Is Strange (DONTNOD Entertainment / Square Enix) - WINNER
    Sunset (Tale of Tales)
    Undertale (tobyfox)

Best Shooter

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 (Treyarch / Activision)
    Destiny: The Taken King (Bungie / Activision)
    Splatoon (Nintendo) - WINNER
    Star Wars Battlefront (DICE / Electronic Arts)

Best Action/Adventure Game

Assassin’s Creed Syndicate (Ubisoft Quebec / Ubisoft)
    Batman: Arkham Knight (Rocksteady Studios / Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment)
    Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Kojima Productions / Konami) - WINNER
    Ori and the Blind Forest (Moon Studios / Microsoft Studios)
    Rise of the Tomb Raider (Crystal Dynamics / Microsoft Studios)

Best Role-Playing Game

Pillars of Eternity (Obsidian Entertainment / Paradox Interactive)
    The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (CD Projekt Red/ Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment) - WINNER
    Undertale (tobyfox)

Best Fighting Game

Guilty Gear Xrd –SIGN– (Arc System Works / Aksys Games)
    Mortal Kombat X (NetherRealm Studios / Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment) - WINNER
    Rise of Incarnates (Bandai Namco Entertainment)
    Rising Thunder (Radiant Entertainment)

Best Family Game

Disney Infinity 3.0 (Avalanche Studios / Disney Interactive Studios)
    LEGO Dimensions (Traveller's Tales / Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment)
    Skylanders: SuperChargers (Vicarious Visions | Beenox Studios / Activision)
    Splatoon (Nintendo)
    Super Mario Maker (Nintendo) - WINNER

Best Sports/Racing Game

FIFA 16 (EA Canada / Electronic Arts)
    Forza Motorsport 6 (Turn 10 Studios / Microsoft Studios)
    NBA 2K16 (Visual Concepts / 2K Sports)
    Pro Evolution Soccer 2016 (PES Productions / Konami)
    Rocket League (Psyonix) - WINNER

Best Multiplayer

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 (Treyarch / Activision) \
    Destiny: The Taken King (Bungie / Activision)
    Rocket League (Psyonix)
    Splatoon (Nintendo) - WINNER

Most Anticipated Game *

Horizon Zero Dawn (Guerrilla Games / Sony Computer Entertainment)
    No Man’s Sky (Hello Games) - WINNER
    Quantum Break (Remedy Entertainment / Microsoft Studios)
    The Last Guardian (GenDesign/ Sony Computer Entertainment)
    Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (Naughty Dog / Sony Computer Entertainment)

eSports Player of the Year *

Kenny “KennyS” Schrub (Counter-Strike Global Offensive / Team EnVyUs) - WINNER
    Lee “Faker” Sang-hyeok (League of Legends / SK Telecom T1)
    Olof “olofmeister” Kajbjer (Counter-Strike Global Offensive / Fnatic)
    Peter “ppd” Dager (Dota 2 / Evil Geniuses)
    Syed Sumail “Suma1L” Hassan (Dota 2 / Evil Geniuses)

eSports Team of the Year *

Evil Geniuses
    Fnatic
    Optic Gaming - WINNER
    SK Telecom T1
    Team SoloMid

eSports Game of the Year *

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Sledgehammer Games / Activision)
    Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (Valve) - WINNER
    Dota 2 (Valve)
    Hearthstone (Blizzard Entertainment)
    League of Legends (Riot Games)

Trending Gamer *

Total Biscuit
    Christopher “MonteCristo” Mykles
    Greg Miller - WINNER
    Markiplier
    PewDiePie

Best Fan Creation *

GTA V – Targets (Hoodoo Operator)
    Real GTA (Corridor Digital)
    Portal Stories: Mel (Prism Studios) - WINNER
    Super Mario Maker e-Reader Levels (Baddboy78 / theycallmeshaky)
    Twitch Plays Dark Souls (Twitch Community)

* - Determined by fan voting.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:05 am Reply with quote
And with Ghibli not making films for the foreseeable future, I can't see any films from here on out even standing a chance of a nomination, never mind an actual award.

I've been pissed at this ever since Sword of the Stranger lost to Kung Fu Panda.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Seska1973 wrote:
The Trump Virus is spreading?

No, I think it's more like "anime films that didn't get wide distribution and, as such, only a niche audience saw" continue to be "anime films that don't get wide distribution and, as such, only a niche audience will see" for another straight year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
gothicangel89 wrote:
The Golden Globes are terrible anyways.

Yeah, before the Fantasy-Baseball "Oscar-buzz" fans started trumping it up into Draft Day, I remember the previous 90's generation when we laughed ourselves silly at the Globes trying to take themselves seriously.
Namely, because we associated them with Ted Turner broadcasting them on his channel every year because he'd tried to get the real Oscars and (surprise) failed.
Which earned it the nickname of "the Goodwill Games of movie awards".
(Those too young to get the 80's-90's reference, ask your parents, for a laugh.)

Nowadays, the only reason for watching it--and very likely the only reason the celebrity nominees show up--is the fact that it's a "banquet" presentation, where they sit at tables and are served a meal and free drinks. Ohh, are they ever served the free drinks. Smile
Every year, some of us tune in just to see what happens during the last hour of the ceremony.
(And wait, Meryl Streep's "Walt Disney was a racist!" wasn't at the Globes, was it? Where did that happen, anyway?)

Equitum wrote:
No. Academy Awards are much worse.
I remember when The Wind Rises was nominated for Best Animated Feature and it lost to Frozen just because all the judges didn't really bother watching any of the films, except Frozen, and assumed all animated films are for children. That is not entirely true.

Well, Frozen was a bad example, since the producers of that movie had sold their soul to Satan to cause us all to sing That Danged Song for a year, so picking up Song and Animated was Clause 2 in the contract...
Think what you meant was that nobody the year or two before had bothered to go out and screen Wreck-It Ralph ("Wait, isn't it that thing with Sonic the Hedgehog or whoever in it?"), which was critically considered the best animated movie that year, and the voters later looked at their ballots said, "Look, 'Brave' is a Pixar movie!--It MUST be good!" Razz

Marnie not being nominated is NOT about "They're icky and xenophobic!", it's more likely due to the GG's completely different exhibition rules, their increasing anal-retentiveness about what qualifies as "Best Animated", or the fact that they just didn't see it.
Frankly, I forgot it was this year, too.

(Among their other over-sticklered points is that animated films can not compete for Best Pictures, so most of the current press-howling and crying of "What?? No Inside Out for Best Picture? It was supposed to beat Spotlight and Trumbo for the Oscar this year....IT'S THE ENNNDDDDD!!!!! " is somewhat premature.
The Globes are not only dimmer than the Oscars, they're just plain nuttier.)
Guile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
No, I think it's more like "anime films that didn't get wide distribution and, as such, only a niche audience saw" continue to be "anime films that don't get wide distribution and, as such, only a niche audience will see" for another straight year.

Exposure is the biggest thing. Most anime movies never get released in America, so unless the panel are huge fans of bittorrent they're not going to see all the anime movies that Japan makes. Only Ghibli stuff and a few others get released in America. Exposure is why Battle Royal is kept out of the limelight but Hunger Games is a household name.

AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Who cares what a bunch of Old geezers have to say about Animation there generation is dying and will Hopefully be replaced by people who are more open minded when it comes to Anime. Wink

I don't think so? Animation seems like bottom priority when it comes to the big award shows, and anime is at the bottom of that totem poll since Disney is always the favored to win.

I never really pay attention to awards or critical reviews for anything because I don't see the point. I don't get why a handful of people get to determine something's worth at the end of the day over the consumer. I also don't get why people get upset over awards. I found it funny when Splatoon won best shooter and CoD and Halo fans got so upset.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:16 pm Reply with quote
^ Even by "Ghibli films in North America" standards, When Marnie Was There grossly underperformed. The only box office numbers I can find for the "domestic" (US and Canada) release are around $561K, over $100K less than even Princess Kaguya and just over a tenth of what The Wind Rises earned over here.

Like, in a weaker year, the prestige of Ghibli might still be enough to garner an animated feature nomination, but this year was quite packed with animated films, and Anomalisa seems to be the off-the-beaten-track animation buff "street cred" film to nominate this awards season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:25 am Reply with quote
I must say, that's a solid set of picks, actually. They're all very good movies, and I'm glad Blue Sky no longer has to rely on Ice Age for attention. The Good Dinosaur is a bit premature though, if you ask me, having been out in theaters for less than a month.

The real travesty is that animated television was completely shut out. This was the year of the Gravity Falls series finale, of Rick and Morty really coming into its own, of Star vs. the Forces of Evil getting started, of Steven Universe upping the ante with its latest season, of South Park having rocketed back from a slump, of a TON of big developments and reveals in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, heck, Littlest Pet Shop had the single best musical sequence in an animated TV show I've seen in years ("Humans & Pets" in the episode "It's the Pet Fest! Part 2"). But I guess we'll have to wait for the Emmies and the Annies for that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2