• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga vs. Anime: Fullmetal Alchemist

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I think the approach of which works better for you makes more sense than trying to pick a version of FMA that is "better." For quite some time, I found Brotherhood somewhat irritating because of all the things that were different from the first anime, which also happens to be my favorite anime. Once it sunk in that the objectives and type of story told in were not meant to be the same, I came around and found plenty to like about both. If you expect one to be like the other in terms of themes, tones, or characterization, you're probably going to be disappointed.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote
DISCLAIMER: I never read the manga, but I am going to assume that the story and characters are the same in the Brotherhood series.

I was certainly amazed by 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist, but I started to actively dislike it when I watched Brotherhood. I find the 2009 show more in line with the kind of anime I enjoy the most: stories about characters struggling to overcome adversity. I also find Brotherhood an uplifting experience.

On the other hand, 2003 FMA is a more cerebral experience that explores the darkness of humanity. I appreciate that such shows exist, but they do not appeal that much to me. I think Zac Bertschy said it best that 2003 FMA and Brotherhood are two different kind of shows that are meant to be appreciated for different reasons.

I will always prefer Brotherhood (the manga version) over 2003 FMA. But I have made my peace with people who prefer the older show over the newer.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Wed May 11, 2016 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
VoidWitch

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the article Rose. I had no idea what i was missing by not watching 2003 version Shocked
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
They're both enjoyable and they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I feel Brotherhood/Manga has a much tighter and consistent story and characterization, and more richly detailed world. But I also think it's "shonen-ness" attitude shines through way too much, and as I revisited it 10 years later, I couldn't help but cringe a little at the hokiness of a lot moments

The 2003 series is directed really well and has lots of really interesting ideas. I feel like the it has a slightly more mature direction which I appreciate. Unfortunately a lot of those ideas don't really pan out or make much sense in the end, and the string of fillers in it's first half really drags the story down.

I maintain that the idea behind the Homunculi's nature in the 2003 series is far superior/interesting, and really fits into the franchise's themes, and few of them were characterized a lot better. When it was revealed what the deal was for the manga verson's Homunculi, i couldn't help but be disappointed by how rote it felt.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I prefer the anime series.

But that's cause I'm more of an anime guy than a manga guy.
CookieBun

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I always feel the itch to write an extremely long essay about the merits of both series and what's superior whenever I see this topic, but I think I'll keep it to what I think is the biggest reason I prefer Brotherhood. As much as I am fond of the 2003 anime, I think it does disservice to a lot of characters that aren't the Elric Brothers. Part of it is simply that they didn't have the material at the time, but part of it is their own interpretation of those characters that don't sit right with me.

For me, I really, really dislike 2003's treatment of Winry. I myself was simply indifferent to her back then, but I remember seeing that she had a very sizeable anti-fandom. To be honest? It's not that surprising when you consider that 2003's vision of Winry is a far more abrasive, typically tsundere supporting character that the Elrics frankly seem to see as a nuisance, or at least someone who's not part of their journey. I was extremely surprised by just how much of a better character she is in the manga and Brotherhood. The subtle differences in execution of the same events between the 2003 anime and Brotherhood make all the difference. Brotherhood makes it very clear that Winry is not a nuisance to their journey. She's the emotional pillar for the brothers, she's the one who makes them understand each other when the brothers are in a bad place, and that even though she's not there physically, she's walking with them in their journey every step of the way.

Once it gets to the material not covered in the 2003 anime, it's even better. The story makes it so clear that the brothers respect Winry and trust her. At Briggs, where a lesser story would have used Winry being a hostage as just an obstacle that the heroes need to overcome, the manga/Brotherhood makes this to show off Winry's competence, further establish and evolve key relationships (Ed-Winry and Ed-Winry-Scar), and greatly develop Winry's own character arc. Awesome stuff.

...And there you go, I ended up writing a whole bunch after all. I didn't mean to, I swear! Anyway, I only touched on Winry, but I feel the same way for quite a number of other characters as well. Overall, I prefer manga/Brotherhood because it treats characters who are not the Elric Brothers much better, and because it introduced many awesome new characters that I never got to meet in the 2003 anime.
jppcouto

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
CookieBun wrote:
I always feel the itch to write an extremely long essay about the merits of both series and what's superior whenever I see this topic, but I think I'll keep it to what I think is the biggest reason I prefer Brotherhood. As much as I am fond of the 2003 anime, I think it does disservice to a lot of characters that aren't the Elric Brothers. Part of it is simply that they didn't have the material at the time, but part of it is their own interpretation of those characters that don't sit right with me.

For me, I really, really dislike 2003's treatment of Winry. I myself was simply indifferent to her back then, but I remember seeing that she had a very sizeable anti-fandom. To be honest? It's not that surprising when you consider that 2003's vision of Winry is a far more abrasive, typically tsundere supporting character that the Elrics frankly seem to see as a nuisance, or at least someone who's not part of their journey. I was extremely surprised by just how much of a better character she is in the manga and Brotherhood. The subtle differences in execution of the same events between the 2003 anime and Brotherhood make all the difference. Brotherhood makes it very clear that Winry is not a nuisance to their journey. She's the emotional pillar for the brothers, she's the one who makes them understand each other when the brothers are in a bad place, and that even though she's not there physically, she's walking with them in their journey every step of the way.

Once it gets to the material not covered in the 2003 anime, it's even better. The story makes it so clear that the brothers respect Winry and trust her. At Briggs, where a lesser story would have used Winry being a hostage as just an obstacle that the heroes need to overcome, the manga/Brotherhood makes this to show off Winry's competence, further establish and evolve key relationships (Ed-Winry and Ed-Winry-Scar), and greatly develop Winry's own character arc. Awesome stuff.

...And there you go, I ended up writing a whole bunch after all. I didn't mean to, I swear! Anyway, I only touched on Winry, but I feel the same way for quite a number of other characters as well. Overall, I prefer manga/Brotherhood because it treats characters who are not the Elric Brothers much better, and because it introduced many awesome new characters that I never got to meet in the 2003 anime.

Claps, claps!
The issue you talked now is a problem that happens in the majority anime shows: the way the female characters are used. FMA manga takes the female cast to a new level. Even a supporting character like "Lan Fan" (that hasn't a lot of screentime) is, surprisingly, very well-written.
wolf10

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I lost some respect for the 2003 anime once I learned that the Ishbalians in the manga were inspired by the real-life treatment of the Ainu, Japan's own indigenous minority group, who weren't even officially recognized as such until 2008. There was relevant commentary in the original work, it was just not as easy for a foreign audience to relate to.
jppcouto

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
I lost some respect for the 2003 anime once I learned that the Ishbalians in the manga were inspired by the real-life treatment of the Ainu, Japan's own indigenous minority group, who weren't even officially recognized as such until 2008. There was relevant commentary in the original work, it was just not as easy for a foreign audience to relate to.

Arakawa never said Ishvarans = Ainu
She just wanted to portray in her story a minority group like Ainu people. Ainu hasn't even dark skin. Actually Ishvarans have more in common with Native Americans, Indian people or Jews (in movie 1, Edward compares the Jews with Ishvarans).

In fact, Ishvara, the god of Ishvarans means God, Lord in Sanskrit (India ancient language). Rasayana, miraculous medicine that extends one's lifespan happens to mean the same in Sanskrit. So we can almost say that Ishvar's ancient language is sanskrit, like Amestrians speak english and chinese for XIngese.
wolf10

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
jppcouto wrote:
Arakawa never said Ishvarans = Ainu
She just wanted to portray in her story a minority group like Ainu people.

Is that not what it means to be "inspired" by something? There isn't a 1-to-1 correlation, but there shouldn't be in a fantasy setting.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Since this has come up in the forum discussion, I actually originally had a section about the female characters and why I don't agree with the common "the manga is better with women/more feminist" idea online, but I think what Zac, Jacob and Mike said about it on the Brotherhood ANNCast discussion basically summed up my opinion on that anyway.

Like with how the manga generally uses characters, there are more female characters who play a role in the final plot, but I don't think they're given the depth of characterization that the female characters who play important roles in the 2003 anime (like Lust, Sloth, Izumi or even Rose) get. Most of the women in the manga/Brotherhood have stories that are really centered on being male characters' love interests. I was so excited for Riza Hawkeye getting a backstory...but it's basically about how her life has always revolved around Roy Mustang. Lan Fan has almost no existence beyond being a stereotypical "Chinese girl bodyguard" archetype, who could be swapped with the one in Black Butler with no real change to either story. The women of '03 are given a little more (not a lot) of characterization that suggests who they are as their own people, with their own motivations. There are a few women like that in the manga, but they generally get the short end of the stick characterization-wise (like Olivier Armstrong). '03 has its own problems, though, like Dante embodying misogynistic female-villain archetypes.

The franchise is better than a lot of shonen, but it's still very male-centric. It's a little bit of a sore spot for me, since the hype around the women in the manga/Brotherhood really made it harder for me to enjoy that version of the story the first time around. I was told over and over again that it had all these great, feminist, sharply-written female characters who were independent and awesome...and that was not what I got. I think the best thing you can say for FMA with regard to its treatment of women is about the real women who were involved with its creation, from Hiromu Arakawa herself to '03 composer Michiru Oshima.

Neither version is really that great with its female characters, imo, and I think which one you like better on that front kinda comes down to which you will prefer overall. So I'd rather make the discussion about the more meaningful differences between the two that will help you figure that out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
"Which one is actually better"? There is no debate. Whatever came first (in this case the manga) is ALWAYS the better one. Anime adaptions need to get their you-know-what together and adapt things faithfully. If you can't do it right, don't do it at all. If these animation studios want to create original content so badly, stop destroying adaptions for existing works and make an original anime from scratch.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:

I knew about the Ainu parallels, but I do actually think the manga's commentary on racism is not as well-thought-out or poignant as the original anime. It falls into some serious pitfalls with how to discuss racism and genocide in its effort to keep everything centered on more traditional shonen morality like the power of friendship, the uselessness of revenge, etc.

This post about sums it up (with major spoilers for the manga and Brotherhood): http://amarielah.tumblr.com/post/44722439761/the-problematic-portrayal-of-minority-characters

By contrast, the 2003 anime actively challenges a lot of the ideas that the manga/Brotherhood uphold. I'm sure at least some of this was that its commentary was based on a foreign conflict that was happening far away, and had less baggage for Japanese audiences specifically, so I don't mean this as a criticism of Arakawa--she might have been more constrained with how much she could say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nodz

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
How many "Which FMA version do you prefer?" articles will you release exactly?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
"Which one is actually better"? There is no debate. Whatever came first (in this case the manga) is ALWAYS the better one. Anime adaptions need to get their you-know-what together and adapt things faithfully. If you can't do it right, don't do it at all. If these animation studios want to create original content so badly, stop destroying adaptions for existing works and make an original anime from scratch.

Is fidelity the sole measure of a derivative work's value?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5