• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Makoto Shinkai's 'your name.' Film Earns 6.2 Billion Yen, Tops Box Office For 3rd Week

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeroyuki92

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for the list of the supposed 85 countries/regions that will display Kimi no Na Wa so I could contribute myself to the revenue (even a little). This looks like something that needs to be watched in cinema anyway.

I'm not the biggest Shinkai fan around (Garden of Words was really great, but I'm not really into 5 cm/s although I do find it beautiful), but I always think that he will made an absolutely amazing movie once he met the best formula to optimize his strength as a director. Kimi no na wa sounds like just that.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:53 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
Backgrounds so beautiful they make you cry - the quality of the background animation is stunning;

encompasses the Japanese accounts of disasters in a fresh way that isn't too tragic;

characters that audiences can empathise with;

and, most likely: makes you want to see the movie again.

Oh, this excites me! I can only hope that anime critics (who typically warm to Shinkai to varying degrees) will share this popular enthusiasm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:00 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
HOLY! 6 billion in 3 weeks! Damn, congrats! My expectations were utterly broken.

Depending on his fan base here, a wide release here could earn the same amount even quicker.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:39 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
PM consistently places in lists of the top 5-10 best anime of all time for reasons I can't guess (but I'm sure you would tell me) so I hope Shinkai's work would be considered in that company.

Well it is my favorite film of all time, so obviously I have intense bias. But it's clear that what so many love about it is what they love about most of Miyazaki's films. His realistic approach to human morality, the concept that there are no true "bad guys" in most conflicts, the world isn't always completely black and white. It's probably one of the only animated films that could be aptly described as an "epic." And beyond the thematic values it's just an absolutely gorgeously drawn and animated film, as I'm sure few would argue. And the soundtrack contains some of the most moving compositions I've heard in any film. It's fine if you didn't get nearly as much out of it, but those are some of the main reasons why so many others did (which I'd say are pretty easy to understand).

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
He is entitled to his opinions but I don't think Japan or the world needs more "Miyazakis" or "Annos" for that matter taking things up. Shinkai on the other hand is a quiet, reserved and somewhat private person who wants to set about making great artistic anime movies and I appreciate that.

I dunno, I actually would prefer if we had more critical personalities like them in the industry. I feel they address common issues of a lot of modern productions that most people just either ignore or don't care about. In fact, I believe Anno would know more about the gross underbelly of otaku-dom than any of us, given he's seen it firsthand. In the end it all comes down to the art these people produce, not their individual personalities, but I still think they can have important things to say, even if they aren't always strictly positive. It's not like Shinkai is exactly the quiet choir boy you hint at anyway. He's had his own interesting opinions on the industry as well in the past.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
As to why your name seems to be hitting a popular nerve, I think several factors may be in play not the least of which is that the show features a disaster where people survive and can change their fates by what they do. In that connection, there may be the tacit appeal of wishful thinking by the audience that maybe events of the past (Great Tohoku Earthquake disaster) can be changed as it is in your name.

The natural disaster sympathizing seems like the most likely reason for its popularity I've heard so far. In the same way that it probably had a hand in Shin Godzilla's overwhelming success as well. Disaster sells (especially in Japan) I suppose.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Saku-dono wrote:
HOLY! 6 billion in 3 weeks! Damn, congrats! My expectations were utterly broken.

Depending on his fan base here, a wide release here could earn the same amount even quicker.

Has any anime film ever actually hit 60 million in the US(outside of Pokemon)? I can't find anything. I can't see this happening to a Shinkai film if not even Miyazaki can pass $20 million with a wide release like Ponyo or Arrietty.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:00 am Reply with quote
@Jayhosh, I feel compelled to say thanks for not hating! Very Happy I'll say one thing I got from (the awful dub of) PM were a few laughs at lines like "the Great Spirit's head has been cut off and he wants it back!" delivered with such enthusiasm and seriousness. The artwork was indeed beautiful, I'd never be so critical as to say it wasn't a good show and I appreciate that many people such as yourself love it and find so much in it. If your name winds up generating such a following I'll be surprised.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2