• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online Novel 9

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:50 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
zztop wrote:
How many cours would be needed to fully adapt Alicization as an anime?

Probably 3 or 4.

If done at the same pace that the first four arcs were animated, yes. However, I don't think the first novel of Alicization would need more than four episodes to properly cover. (Maybe one episode for the first prologue, one for the real-world part, and two for Chapter 1. . . and doing it that way would make for a slow start, so I could see both of the prologues being condensed to one episode.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
How many cours would be needed to fully adapt Alicization as an anime?

I think they could do it in 3 but with 4 it would be more complete
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:32 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Well, he really had already done a work without that issue. Accel World (granted I'm several volumes away from being current) actually does a good job continuously developing its established cast. In fact, it also does a good job balancing incredibly strong characters which is another thing SAO rightfully gets a lot of crap for with how Kirito is constantly ridiculously OP in literally every game he gets inside.

I LOVE Accel World, but if anything I'd say it's falling prey to the same problem as SAO. (based only on reading the US releases, I'm current on English language releases NOT on Japanese releases) I could say he hasn't "abandoned" the core cast, but he does seem to just be looping them over and over. The most recent volume just repeated spoiler[Takumi's feelings of jealousy towards Haruyuki] and frankly I'm SICK of spoiler[the Armor of Catastrophe/Chrome Disaster] at this point. I'd probably be LESS bothered if we never got Nomi (but then I'm not sure how they introduce the Incarnate System) but I hated that arc in the anime and I've been largely disappointed with most of the follow-up since. It was nice to finally get some information on other Negabu characters, but since he started that conversation there's been two whole books of "treading water". Seriously, the first "post-anime" book, vol 5 spoiler[re-introduces the Chrome Disaster issue], vol 6 spoiler[introduces the character that is supposed to fix the problem from vol 5 (Chrome Disaster)] but then vol 7 spoiler[ends with Haruyuki STARTING a fight with Takumi (still not cured of Chrome Disaster)] and vol 8 spoiler[continues the fumbling and ends basically where vol FIVE (5) ended (ie. Haruyuki succumbing to Chrome Disaster]
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:38 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:

Probably 3 or 4.

If done at the same pace that the first four arcs were animated, yes. However, I don't think the first novel of Alicization would need more than four episodes to properly cover. (Maybe one episode for the first prologue, one for the real-world part, and two for Chapter 1. . . and doing it that way would make for a slow start, so I could see both of the prologues being condensed to one episode.)

The arc is LN 9-18 I think so 10 books where as the first 2 seasons animated 8 books. At the same pace as the first 2 seasons, it would take 5 cours. I think they could definitely go faster than S1 and S2, but anything less than 3 would be ridiculously rushed. Unless I guess they just cut a bunch and kept a good pace for the rest which might not be too bad since a lot of it is just mirroring the major SAO flaws yet again. In fact, I think they could skip the entire 10th book and lose basically nothing.

HeeroTX wrote:
I LOVE Accel World, but if anything I'd say it's falling prey to the same problem as SAO. (based only on reading the US releases, I'm current on English language releases NOT on Japanese releases) I could say he hasn't "abandoned" the core cast, but he does seem to just be looping them over and over. The most recent volume just repeated spoiler[Takumi's feelings of jealousy towards Haruyuki] and frankly I'm SICK of spoiler[the Armor of Catastrophe/Chrome Disaster] at this point. I'd probably be LESS bothered if we never got Nomi (but then I'm not sure how they introduce the Incarnate System) but I hated that arc in the anime and I've been largely disappointed with most of the follow-up since. It was nice to finally get some information on other Negabu characters, but since he started that conversation there's been two whole books of "treading water". Seriously, the first "post-anime" book, vol 5 spoiler[re-introduces the Chrome Disaster issue], vol 6 spoiler[introduces the character that is supposed to fix the problem from vol 5 (Chrome Disaster)] but then vol 7 spoiler[ends with Haruyuki STARTING a fight with Takumi (still not cured of Chrome Disaster)] and vol 8 spoiler[continues the fumbling and ends basically where vol FIVE (5) ended (ie. Haruyuki succumbing to Chrome Disaster]

AW spoilers ahead (trying to keep it to the volumes he discussed)
spoiler[
I don't really see your gripe about the disaster armor. Incarnate corruption was only really introduced and kind of glossed over until they brought the Disaster Armor back. I think it is important for him to delve deeper into that. I think Haruyuki's conflict with his darker emotions and him overcoming them is important to his development. He was very bitter at the start of the story. I think KYH's efforts to overcome her aversion to / fear of getting close to people was good too.

I do agree about Takumi's return match with Haruyuki. Kawahara just recycled their first fight. We already knew about his jealousy issues and watched him overcome it once before. I thought that was even worse than post wing loss Haruyuki during the Nomi arc. ]

Speaking of Nomi, that arc was really about loss which wasn't done previously in AW (not a fan of the arc myself regardless). So really AW only had once such instance where as SAO retreads the Kirito gary stu stuff plus the dropping of other protagonists every single time for 4 arcs straight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2