• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Release KanColle TV Anime on Home Video in June

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heartlessangel65

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:56 am Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
heartlessangel65 wrote:
If you see Crunchyroll's name and logo on the box that means they're the licensor not Funimation.

Also why doesn't CR just announce this themselves? This is just gonna confuse people at Wikipedia & MAL that think Funi owns the rights

Because it was announced last year at the start of the partnership that Funimation would be handling the physical releases since they already have a system set up for it

I know Funi are dubbing & distributing CR titles for them but Funi aren't the licensor for CR home videos just the distributor so why are they saying they "licensed the home video rights" when it clearly isn't theirs in the first place?

This just confuses people
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:41 am Reply with quote
^ I share your sentiment heartlessangel65. Some people will be confused about who has the home video rights. Even this ANN article is saying that Funi has the rights.
heartlessangel65

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
^ I share your sentiment heartlessangel65. Some people will be confused about who has the home video rights. Even this ANN article is saying that Funi has the rights.

Thank you Smile

Here's a list of the Fall and Winter titles Crunchyroll are the Master Licensee animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2017-01-24/crunchyroll-announces-winter-2017-anime-lineup/.111421
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:02 am Reply with quote
even if they are distributing for Crunchyroll, I'm fairly certain they still need to obtain a license to distribute these shows. so this wouldn't be inaccurate.
heartlessangel65

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
even if they are distributing for Crunchyroll, I'm fairly certain they still need to obtain a license to distribute these shows. so this wouldn't be inaccurate.

Funi gets CR titles as sub license but CR 100% own the right for their titles
heartlessangel65

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
For example

A CR employee named Miles said that Funi got Yuri on Ice as a sub license but it's a CR anime https://twitter.com/MilesExpress999/status/839952666948046848
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
heartlessangel65 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Thank you Smile

Here's a list of the Fall and Winter titles Crunchyroll are the Master Licensee animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2017-01-24/crunchyroll-announces-winter-2017-anime-lineup/.111421

And here's the fine print:

*Specific rights for each title may vary.

A number of these titles were ones I swore Funimation "had" under their mess/partnership but I am leaning towards the idea any show Funimation dubs, they have the physical license... in part, whatever that's worth. Kind of like putting Cruncyroll's name on BD and DVD cases... oh right, marketing and building the brand. Market Penetration.

Kind of pointless at this point? Their first partnership, the one with Diskotek for sub only releases, apparently failed when they sold so CR decided that there was still some life in the physical release market. That's the only conclusion I can come up with... unless they're just putting up with Funimation Now just to do them in later after they get their own dub house going. That would explain the whole "no subs at all, never" rule...

The question remains what happens to Gintama and the other non Funimation shows... it gets worse when we realize we have to ask "Wait, what shows are those again?" first.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
yes, and as a sublicense, its a license to the home video rights. they are getting permission to distribute these shows in DVD/BD. that's the only thing this article mentions. nothing else about any other kind of ownership of Kantai Collection. I honestly don't understand what could be so confusing about this
heartlessangel65

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:47 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
heartlessangel65 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Thank you Smile

And here's the fine print:

*Specific rights for each title may vary.

A number of these titles were ones I swore Funimation "had" under their mess/partnership but I am leaning towards the idea any show Funimation dubs, they have the physical license... in part, whatever that's worth. Kind of like putting Cruncyroll's name on BD and DVD cases... oh right, marketing and building the brand. Market Penetration.

Kind of pointless at this point? Their first partnership, the one with Diskotek for sub only releases, apparently failed when they sold so CR decided that there was still some life in the physical release market. That's the only conclusion I can come up with... unless they're just putting up with Funimation Now just to do them in later after they get their own dub house going. That would explain the whole "no subs at all, never" rule...

The question remains what happens to Gintama and the other non Funimation shows... it gets worse when we realize we have to ask "Wait, what shows are those again?" first.

It was stated that CR has already invested in more than two dozen anime productions and co-producing Kadokawa future titles so CR owns a lot of these titles so it this partnership didn't exist Funi would be screwed.

They already dubbed Gintama season 3 and I think they other titles will still come
heartlessangel65

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
yes, and as a sublicense, its a license to the home video rights. they are getting permission to distribute these shows in DVD/BD. that's the only thing this article mentions. nothing else about any other kind of ownership of Kantai Collection. I honestly don't understand what could be so confusing about this

"nothing else about any other kind of ownership of Kantai Collection" Expect Funi clearly said they "licensed the home video rights" when again it's not theirs and sites like Wikipedia & MAL put Funi as the licensor that's what I'm talking about
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
the home media rights are certainly funi's. they got that license, so they are not wrong in stating this.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
The best way to avoid confusion would be for CR to release their discs through another distributor, but going with Funimation as ideal for the fans. Though, I hope CR sublicenses some of their stuff to Sentai.
lycopene

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
you sure about that? Frankly, nothing about this article would change. instead of funi, it would be Company Y has licensed home media rights for Kantai Collection and will be releasing it on DVD and BD. which would meant the two of you would still be claiming its confusing and/or inaccurate

its not confusing. Nothing about this article declares the Funimation has full rights to this show, only the rights to distribute the show on disk. Even the database entry for this show clearly indicates this. if you're confused about this, thats on you
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
heartlessangel65 wrote:
If you see Crunchyroll's name and logo on the box that means they're the licensor not Funimation.

Also why doesn't CR just announce this themselves? This is just gonna confuse people at Wikipedia & MAL that think Funi owns the rights

Because it was announced last year at the start of the partnership that Funimation would be handling the physical releases since they already have a system set up for it

Yeah, it's to streamline the process. CR has never done their own releases and now they don't have to set up an entirely new department and train a new staff for it. And it also probably effects how the revenue is distributed. From my angle, if this wasn't part of that deal, Funimation would have lost huge, considering CR now has access to all of the stuff they had before during simulcast season, as well as, all of the Funimation stuff. So I imagine they are recouping most revenue, while CR just "technically" holds the license. That balances things out a little bit more.
Either that, or maybe even more to Funimations benefit, they might just be getting paid by CR to do the work, so they don't hold any risk of potential flops, but have a guaranteed income stream. Not sure I'm a fan of that though. As if Funimation needed another reason to not take the QC seriously.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:37 pm Reply with quote
heartlessangel65 wrote:

CR probably doesn't care that much about that, since they still obtain revenue from the venture.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3