• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Other 100 Best Anime Movies of All Time, Part 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Heard of 15 on this list; seen only four. Crying or Very sad

I'll start with They Were Eleven: the story is patient in building its suspense, time enough for fairly large cast to gel. The Black Jack feature is quite well made, and as Mike says, a very accessible introduction to the franchise. And you can never go wrong with the best of the Dirty Pair--the "Lovely Angels" (got half of that right) that defined "collateral damage" for a decade.

My own choice on this list is Ocean Waves--a film I like to call "Ghibli's very own anti-Ghibli". No alien or magical worlds, no flights of aeronautical fancy, just two flawed teenagers that in the end you can relate to and feel for...a film that, considering its source, you could almost call "a little too real". I've only seen it once, years ago, during a Ghibli retrospective at Boston's Museum of Fine Arts. Can't wait for the upcoming Blu-ray.

BTW: just saw Arcadia of My Youth Blu available soon from Discotek. May need to check it out!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Street Fighter II: The Movie is a good-looking movie, but beyond that, it's just as brainless and plotless as any of the other terrible fighting video game anime. Wouldn't even make my top 50.

Patlabor XIII is, as you said, good as a detective story, but that it takes place in the world of Patlabor without being about the Patlabor characters makes it such an oddball production. It feels like it just stole the trappings of the Patlabor franchise but keeps Patlabor at arm's length (despite being based on a storyline from the manga). I do mostly enjoy the movie, but at the end I'm always thinking, "Why was this a Patlabor movie again?"

I reviewed the Black Jack movie some years ago, and while I love Dezaki's take on Black Jack (and wish he had done more movies in addition to the OVAs), the weakness of the movie comes from Black Jack himself not actually notably participating in the resolution of the plot. He's just a tourist through the story, making a few observations, but not actually solving the main problem at all. Some random nomadic tribe comes along and solves the problem all by themselves. It makes Black Jack seem entirely superfluous to the proceedings. The OVA is not just somewhat better, it's significantly better: Black Jack actually DOES things in the episodes of the OVA.

The Crusher Joe movie, while fun, is kind of a paint-by-numbers sci-fi space adventure in the big picture, a trifle that can just as easily be missed as enjoyed. It's breezy and has almost no gravity to it, and the few good ideas it has feel wasted on such a nothing of a plot, and only Joe and a couple others get any kind of characterization. So it's like most Yas productions, outside of Gundam The Origin.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the list. I'm discovering some anime I've not heard of before.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mike Toole "you can trace it back to the earliest versions of Tsukihime and the Fate series,"
"Shiki Ryogi can see dead people. Alright, more accurately, she can perceive the inherent mortality of living things, see spirits… and then attack them with a wicked sharp sword."

Kara no Kyōkai/Garden of Sinners predates Tsukihime and Fate/stay night.

Shiki Ryogi's power is not to see dead people nor just the mortality of living things.

Shiki's "Mystic Eyes of Death Perception" allow her to see mortality in everything.

With the 'Mystic Eyes of Death Perception" Shiki sees the "lines" that connect objects/beings/etc to the point of "Origin". She only needs to break or cut these "lines" to "kill" her target,she does not need to rely on a sword or dagger, though it makes her more badass lol.

Sorry to nitpick- Kara no Kyōkai is one of my favorites Smile

Last edited by Nordhmmer on Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:31 am; edited 2 times in total
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Of this collection, I have Ocean Waves and Garden of Sinners (both of them Madman sub-only DVD releases).

What appears to miss out from this top 100 is Hikawa Maru Monogatari - an interesting historical fiction piece.

In This Corner of the World is worth your time when visiting Japan to see it even without any subtitles.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
"Everybody loves Beautiful Dreamers"

Ha, except me because I freaking HATED it. Razz

Really, it was the most boring, nonsensical animated thing I've ever watched. Ugh.

Omg, I was starting to think I was the only one. Smile I guess I sorta saw this on SciFi or something. It literally put me to sleep. One minute they were doing some Nazi cosplay (?) for a school festival, then I woke up and there was some kind of Urashima Taro thing going on and I dozed off again before the ending. I tried watching it again a few years later, thinking maybe sleeping through half of it had done it a disservice, but nope, even following how they got into the UT scenario didn't help, and I stopped torturing myself and turned it off.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:17 pm Reply with quote
You can count me as another who does not like Beautiful Dreamer
I did not really care much for any of the UY movies, but that one was the low point of the entire series for me.
People who say that it is the best of the series must be watching for a different reason than I am.

penguintruth wrote:
Street Fighter II: The Movie is a good-looking movie, but beyond that, it's just as brainless and plotless as any of the other terrible fighting video game anime. Wouldn't even make my top 50.

This movie apparently was not made for you or for me, but for some reason I did enjoy it.
It has been so long since I watched it that I really do not remember anything but a favorable impression. I need to watch it again to see if I really do like it or my memory is playing tricks on me.

Quote:
Patlabor XIII is, as you said, good as a detective story, but that it takes place in the world of Patlabor without being about the Patlabor characters makes it such an oddball production. It feels like it just stole the trappings of the Patlabor franchise but keeps Patlabor at arm's length (despite being based on a storyline from the manga). I do mostly enjoy the movie, but at the end I'm always thinking, "Why was this a Patlabor movie again?"

I would guess that the creator of the manga wanted it to be a Patlabor movie.
The main Patlabor characters are in it, but they do not do anything significant until near the end.
If I rated it as a Patlabor movie I would call it decent, but as a science fiction movie I rated it very good.

omiya wrote:
What appears to miss out from this top 100 is Hikawa Maru Monogatari - an interesting historical fiction piece.

Mike still has25 more to list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
"Everybody loves Beautiful Dreamers"

Ha, except me because I freaking HATED it. Razz

Really, it was the most boring, nonsensical animated thing I've ever watched. Ugh.

Omg, I was starting to think I was the only one. Smile I guess I sorta saw this on SciFi or something. It literally put me to sleep. One minute they were doing some Nazi cosplay (?) for a school festival, then I woke up and there was some kind of Urashima Taro thing going on and I dozed off again before the ending. I tried watching it again a few years later, thinking maybe sleeping through half of it had done it a disservice, but nope, even following how they got into the UT scenario didn't help, and I stopped torturing myself and turned it off.

It didn't help watching Dreamer on SciFi, where most of those watching had never seen Urusei TV in their lives. (Like CPM hadn't, and SciFi hadn't.)
And I should know, it was only the second anime I'd ever seen in my life at a con--untranslated--and it wasn't the easiest to follow. One might add that sleeping through large parts of the story exposition doesn't help the clarity either.
The one scene that DID explain what the heck was going on (a dream flashback to the race from the first episode) was helpfully cut for TV broadcast, because of the nip-slip.

Only You is immensely easier to follow, since the whole point of the movie was to sell the TV show's popularity, and if you didn't know there was a horny teen, a lovestruck alien girl and a rich snob, etc., they'd make sure you did by the end of the story.
Dreamer was an artsy Oshii side-story that the show and its characters wander into, and while the gang is still their crazy selves intact, if you're trying to get a taste of the TV series plot from the story, rotsa ruck.
Again, Dreamer's the best of the movies if you DO know the series, but it's also the only one that escaped AnimEigo, so it's the only one that still around in the open for new fans to actually watch and try to derive the series experience from. Which is both a good and bad thing.

If you can track a later (+20's-30's) TV episode or Only You on YouTube, and then give Dreamer another chance, think you'll find out what you slept through.
And then we can all hope that Viz is going to pick up the license for dubbing before Bob Woodhead at AE tries another nostalgia Kickstarter stunt.
russ869

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:49 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Wait, is Time Etranger and GoShogun: Time Etranger on the list twice?

No. Mori Masaki's Time Stranger is not to be confused with Kunihiko Yuyama's GoShogun: The Time Étranger.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:21 am Reply with quote
Did you watch the "Broadcast" order or the "REAL" order the movies went in? I followed them when they were new, I got Shiki in MUGEN that was about it.

I look forward to part 4
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:52 am Reply with quote
OMG! Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions is confirmed for top 25 movie. Hope it's #1. Very Happy
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:56 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Patema Inverted-I definitely enjoyed this movie a lot, it had a fun and interesting world and the two leads were both good. It’s not really breaking a lot of new ground on story telling or anything, but sometimes, you just need something simple done competently to make a good film.

It seems that the consensus on Patema Inverted is that it offers little of distinction beyond its initial premise. Every time I consider buying it I hesitate for this very reason. Perhaps a discount or sale would be in order...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:20 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I tried watching it again a few years later, thinking maybe sleeping through half of it had done it a disservice, but nope, even following how they got into the UT scenario didn't help, and I stopped torturing myself and turned it off.

If you can track a later (+20's-30's) TV episode or Only You on YouTube, and then give Dreamer another chance, think you'll find out what you slept through.

As you will note above, I did give it another chance. After seeing the first part that I slept through, I saw no reason to continue on to the next part of the doze-fest. I'm not a person who tends to fall asleep watching tv. But this stuff was like extra-strength NyQuil.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:36 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Quote:
And then we can all hope that Viz is going to pick up the license for dubbing before Bob Woodhead at AE tries another nostalgia Kickstarter stunt.

If you think Viz or anyone else is going to dub all of Urusei Yatsura TV .... I suppose it doesn't hurt to dream the impossible dream. I'd settle for a Bluray version but I don't think that is going to happen either. Keep in mind that Viz gave up on the manga version after two tries.

I wouldn't worry about Bob Woodhead at AnimEigo. So far all of his kickstarters are on shows where he still has the license for the DVD version. The license for UY expired years ago.
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:36 am Reply with quote
The thing I like most about these kind of articles is that licensors seem to read them too. And hopefully follow through with some pick ups.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:45 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
Quote:

If you think Viz or anyone else is going to dub all of Urusei Yatsura TV .... I suppose it doesn't hurt to dream the impossible dream. I'd settle for a Bluray version but I don't think that is going to happen either. Keep in mind that Viz gave up on the manga version after two tries.

Viz claimed, back during their initial honeymoon with Ranma 1/2 on nice compact Blu season sets, that they might try and complete the Rumiko Takahashi Tetralogy, since they already had InuYasha, and Maison Ikkoku was due for its Blu upgrade next.
Immediately warning flags went up, but con-goers asked if that meant trying to buy back UY now that it was up for grabs, and Viz imagined that as part of the scenario.

Yes, it doesn't hurt to dream, even though it's been a while since they've mentioned anything about Ranma 1/2 Movies/OVA's on Blu, and we KNOW what's going to happen halfway through Maison.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4