• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Screen 1st 4 Black Clover Episodes in Theaters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
Well no thanks lol really dont wanna hear Asta loud screaming in a cinema....

Depends on the language. Asta's screaming in Japanese is insufferable. Dallas Reid, on the other hand, does a much, much better job and actually has variety in his delivery.

FlareKnight wrote:
Well....that's a thing.

They have seriously decided to go all in on this show. A full year's worth of episode, movie screenings, all the advertising, etc.

Now maybe if they are screening the dub this makes sense. This is one case where the dub is almost guaranteed to be superior. No one will leave the theater with their ears bleeding due to listening to Asta's VA.

And yet I still think it is a bad idea. The show has had a brutally slow start. People are going to fall asleep with the second episode being mostly flashbacks. This isn't close to the best show of the season and yet it is going to be thrown around everywhere.

No doubt they're banking on the hit status of the manga. Then again, One Piece runs at a snail's pace as an anime and people continue to watch that. It's probably way more interesting to people who haven't read the Black Clover manga, which is rather fast-paced.

FlyGuySempai wrote:
So instead of simply premiering on Toonami they put it in theaters? And yet Pokemon 20 didn't even get a full theatrical run...lol i have no idea what the anime media world is thinking now'er days with their marketing.

The Pokémon anime kind of lost its relevance in the United States due to it getting shoved into increasingly bad timeslots on Cartoon Network until Cartoon Network got rid of it. A real shame, but the Pokémon video games themselves continue to be top sellers.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I hate that I want to see this, to pay money to specifically watch Black Clover, but yeah, I'd go see this if they show it here.

I haven't heard the English dub (or the OVA), but I don't have any issues with Asta's voice in Japanese. It's not that annoying, it's just how he is and it suits him perfectly.
joe_g7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:41 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:

You say that, but the only competition it seem to have on Crunchyroll, popularity wise, is Food Wars.
It's popular cause everyone wants to hear Asta's incredibly screamy voice. On a more serious note, yes it's one of the most watched shows of this season, both in Japan and here in the West they're pushing it to become the next big title, yet quality-wise it is very poor. Shueisha gave it to Pierrot and they are infamous for butchering basically every shounen adaptation they've done the last decade or so, and even earlier than that I might say.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:02 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
What the hell...

Those episodes won't even make a good movie.

I disagree, they definitely do. It's a nice build-up to episode 4 and that last moment is extremly satisfying and a good stopping point.

Asta beat a guy up. Not a very climactic end. It could work as a compilation movie of the whole arc (first nine chapters of manga) though.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:46 pm Reply with quote
joe_g7 wrote:
It's popular cause everyone wants to hear Asta's incredibly screamy voice.

Yup, exactly. It's a bit of a meme right now which ironically is great advertising to Crunchyroll, but once the meme dies and especially when Winter 2018 starts I don't see this doing as well as it currently is.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:18 am Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
joe_g7 wrote:
It's popular cause everyone wants to hear Asta's incredibly screamy voice.

Yup, exactly. It's a bit of a meme right now which ironically is great advertising to Crunchyroll, but once the meme dies and especially when Winter 2018 starts I don't see this doing as well as it currently is.

I don't see why people who dislike the screamy voice would go and watch it for more then 6 episodes and keep it popular, but if you guys want to sell the series short like that, have at it. You shouldn't put too much stock in the loud minority. Twin Star felt really similar and it sure never fell in popularity.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:22 am Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:

I don't see why people who dislike the screamy voice would go and watch it for more then 6 episodes and keep it popular, but if you guys want to sell the series short like that, have at it. You shouldn't put too much stock in the loud minority. Twin Star felt really similar and it sure never fell in popularity.

Twin Star was popular? I didn't hear much about it after Spring 2016 when in started but to be totally fair I wasn't looking for it since I ended up disliking the series.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:30 am Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:

Twin Star was popular? I didn't hear much about it after Spring 2016 when in started but to be totally fair I wasn't looking for it since I ended up disliking the series.
it sure was. Consistent top 5 on Crunchyroll. But yea disliking a series tends to give a bias against series. Which I think is what is happening with Black Clover too. I really don't think a meme would make BC skyrocket to number 1 everytime it airs. Also as crazy as it sounds some people don't mind Asta's voice.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:36 am Reply with quote
Lmao no thanks. My ears are gonna bleed because of Asta's constant loud yelling and screaming (Thats if its in the Japanese dub). But whoever is going, enjoy and have fun~
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:54 am Reply with quote
Stop trying to make the Black Clover anime happen. It's not gonna happen. (Bonus points if you know the movie).

For the 1st time in my life: I sure hope it's the dub. Because Asta's Japanese voice in a movie theater setting sounds like a violation of human rights.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:15 am Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
FlowerAiko wrote:
Kaeru89 wrote:
glad the series is popular, manga is soo epic

I wouldn't say it's popular just yet. It's not very well liked (the anime, anyway. The show is very bad in comparison to the generally well-liked manga) but Crunchyroll, Studio Pierrot, and even Funimation are really trying to push this as successful.

You say that, but the only competition it seem to have on Crunchyroll, popularity wise, is Food Wars.

Not just in Crunchyroll but even in China's big streaming sites the only competition it has is Food Wars. BC is popular and denying it is very silly.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:16 am Reply with quote
King's Game is CR's next most popular show after BC this season. Just a thought.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:48 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
King's Game is CR's next most popular show after BC this season. Just a thought.

Yea it's interesting. Do you know if it succeeds in beating One piece/DBS/Naruto on days it airs? That's always seem to be the determining factors of a shows true popularity on CR. I think I only saw BC, Food Wars, Boruto and MMO Junkie pass those though
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
The first 4 episodes are probably a bad idea. It is too damn slow from there. That’s what I think. As for Asta’s voice,never really bothered me (i seemed to remember a similar orange track suit wearing ninja that everyone used to call annoying and later got used too)

And guys,it’s already popular in Japan,you know ,the main audience
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

What's your source for that? Not trying to be rude or anything, just curious. Looking at per-episode ratings quite a few anime are more popular than it. Magus Bride beats it out by almost 2,000.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3