• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress BD/DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:03 am Reply with quote
Let's not forget that this series gave us one of the best "fan service" moments of recent memory:

https://media.giphy.com/media/AEUhKVsA3nEAM/giphy.gif
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The rest of the performers are incredibly inconsistent though, with characters like Ayame (Veronica Taylor) and Kurusu (Jamieson K Price) sounding alternately flat and cheesily over-the-top, as if they were plucked out of a cornier production. Roger Craig Smith does what he can with Biba, who simply isn't a compelling villain; while he never manages to be sound truly threatening, there is a laconic quality to his performances that makes the character interesting at least. None of these inconsistencies ruin the English dub, but they do make it the lesser of the two aural experiences.

Forgive me for saying this, but I'm highly skeptical of your dub analysis here, James.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:20 am Reply with quote
Chocoreto wrote:
Gee, and I always wondered, how would Attack on Titan be if you took away its plot and characters?

Fortunately Kabaneri came along and my question was answered. Blatant rip-off which everyone says "yes but it looks so beautiful" but in reality, it doesn't manage to do even that! Its entire existence irks me. Everyone thinks they can do AoT better than Isayama but they're not worthy to even lick his shoes!!! And yes I know very well who directed it!!!

You do realize AoT's premise is pretty damn generic by itself, right? Hell, Isayama's gone on record and said that AoT was inspired by the original MuvLuv trilogy. There is a significant difference between inspiration and ripoff.

Anno was inspired by Aim For the Ace for Gunbuster as well as robot shows. RahXephon was inspired largely by Raideen The Brave (given how big both focus on the aspects of the mythological concept of the continent Mu) as well as bits of Evangelion (the later more so in the movie/recap film than in the show itself.)

Ripoffs are things like Infinite Stratos vs Hundred and all less-popular generic as hell Trapped-in-an-MMO stories that came out since SAO hit it big. Saying Kanberi is a ripoff of AoT is fundamentally missing the point of what a proper ripoff is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2