• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu!/Eevee! Switch Games Revealed for November

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1dbad

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Don't have a Switch yet, but looking forward to playing this when I do. I'm so getting Eevee version.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Certainly passing on this. It really makes me think of how I felt with games like Paper Mario Sticker Star, The Sims 4, etc. I can't like a game in a franchise I love that is this dumbed down and limited no matter how much I want to.

It's a shame because the Switch just isn't getting anything interesting for me, and it just keeps on going that way. I thought surely that Pokemon would at least pass and be worth purchasing, somehow they messed even Pokemon up.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
Certainly passing on this. It really makes me think of how I felt with games like Paper Mario Sticker Star, The Sims 4, etc. I can't like a game in a franchise I love that is this dumbed down and limited no matter how much I want to.

It's a shame because the Switch just isn't getting anything interesting for me, and it just keeps on going that way. I thought surely that Pokemon would at least pass and be worth purchasing, somehow they messed even Pokemon up.

What?! Super Mario Odyssey is perhaps the best game I've ever played on the Switch, not to mention Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was a lot of tun as well.

Also, there's still that core Pokémon title coming up as well.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:16 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:

What?! Super Mario Odyssey is perhaps the best game I've ever played on the Switch, not to mention Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was a lot of tun as well.

I could also say the same thing about Splatoon 2, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and ARMS. Also a Smash Bros. game coming up too, though who knows when that'll actually come out.

But none of these games have total universal appeal, and I can understand someone requiring something REALLY compelling to buy a new system for.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:13 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:

Super Mario Odyssey was indeed pretty good. It was nice to see Nintendo return to the 64/Sunshine style. It's just... Mario platformers are only so much fun for me, and Super Mario Odyssey is the one and only Switch-exclusive title that I care about. A positive opinion of the system can not rest on such a title alone.

Mario Kart 8 and Breath of the Wild are also fantastic, but they are Wii U games. Breath of the Wild really hit the spot for me, it is now one of my top favorite games ever, but I played it on the Wii U and will always see it as a Wii U game.

This is currently a big problem with the Switch for me. So much of what has been released for it by Nintendo has been Wii U ports. Before you try to lecture me about how they're financially successful for Nintendo save your time, because that has absolutely nothing to do with my opinion here. My apologies if you weren't even thinking of saying that, but it has happened too many times when I have expressed my opinion. I just find it absurd that people think my opinion of having no games to play on the Switch is supposed to evaporate into thin air because the Wii U titles are so successful for Nintendo. Give me a break.

Sure, they did announce that the "Core RPG" that was announced at last year's E3 is not this. However, that is way off in the distance, and pretty much that has been the whole thing with owning a Switch for me. Everything I would want for it beyond Super Mario Odyssey is always "way off in the future" and no details are known. I was hoping that maybe a core Pokemon RPG experience would be coming later this year so I would at least have something to look forward to, but it was too much to ask for, I guess.

There is Super Smash Bros. But after having bought both versions of SSB4, I'm bored with the franchise. While I thought that the games were technically great, I didn't feel like they were inspired at all and thus became quickly boring to me. I have a feeling that SSB5 will just be more of the same. The formula has just grown stagnant to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2