• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of Summer 2018, Jul 22-28

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:33 pm Reply with quote
^Perhaps a singular tone is not what is the show is aiming for, with the lighter moments and the highs taking the edge off the dramatic lows. Certainly it can take some getting used to and some may not like some elements or such a tonal rollercoaster, but I think the different parts complement each other. Though I've never been really been fond of the "pick a tone, and stick to it" line of criticism, provided it executes each well individually.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:12 pm Reply with quote
tfwnoymir wrote:
Sorry for the trouble, I just realized I misclicked - damn you heatwave - and it was actually Hanebado. Then the nosedive is well-deserved.

Ah, ok. That's why I put in the puzzle-face. Smile And I agree.

zrnzle500 wrote:
Given the ratings for episode 5, Hanebado will be back up next week.

I dunno, that was the episode that made me drop it. I suppose it might rise after that, if more people who hate it drop it and no longer rate it.

I don't hate shows for tone-shift if they seem to have control of it. It's just this turned out not to be the series the first episode promised, and I have trouble watching a sports anime where everyone seems to be traumatized by the sport they're playing and hate most of their teammates and opponents.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:48 pm Reply with quote
@Gina Szanboti Yeah, my perception level at heatwaves is not the best to say the least lol Razz I haven't dropped it yet, I'll probably check out the next episode, but I'll probably drop it after that if it turns out to be at least not enjoyable (in a morbid way), I have better things to watch anyway.

@NeverConvex My point was rather than dissing on so-called edgy shows (I liked Higurashi actually), was that the plot stands on weak legs and most characters are generally unlikable and constantly plotting against each other, especially Connie, who's spoiler[obsession with her stepmother AKA Ayano's mom, who's another can of worms, feels borderline incest.] It's funny, because from what I gathered, she's not like that at all in the manga, but the anime staff have somehow felt inclined to change her character 180°, to the point of unrecognizable.

EDIT: In short, it's an incredibly well-produced trainwreck.

Last edited by tfwnoymir on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:52 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^Perhaps a singular tone is not what is the show is aiming for, with the lighter moments and the highs taking the edge off the dramatic lows. Certainly it can take some getting used to and some may not like some elements or such a tonal rollercoaster, but I think the different parts complement each other. Though I've never been really been fond of the "pick a tone, and stick to it" line of criticism, provided it executes each well individually.

I mean -- sure, it's possible to get a variety of tones right, and to transition them well (I notice you don't mention the transition, which is at least as important, given it's all one show I think..). The point is that Hanebado hasn't done that, though, and that the variety of tones is jarring because they don't naturally bleed into one another.

tfwnoymir:

I am a rabid fan of Higurashi, and I am a rabid fan of very little. I am not saying Higurashi is a bad show. I am saying Higurashi's tone has no place in the show Hanebado setup, at least not without waaaaaaaaaaay more effort than was displayed in that direction.

Last edited by NeverConvex on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:13 pm Reply with quote
@NeverConvex For sure. It doesn't feel like to me Ayano is a person I could meet in real life: her motivation for joining the club feels incredibly weak, especially considering her traumas. But plot must happen for the plot's sake or else we won't get our crazy matches. But there's not enough of that either, at least not yet. Nagisa feels more believable, and after watching the episodes, I feel like she's too good of a character for this show.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure about the "Could I meet them in real life?" test. I A) have met a lot of weird, outlier people in my life, and B) want to watch media where I could meet people I might not meet in real life.

But I think the intuition behind it is good: it is not that we want to meet a person like this in real life, but that we want the show to compel us that this person is real. That is, that the show possesses verisimilitude.

And that's something I certainly value---I think we all value it, really, with small variations. But it is harder to articulate clear empirical tests that it's present. It's not quite effusive, but it is hard to express, at least right now.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:15 pm Reply with quote
@NeverConvex My point was she's acted that way because the plot demands it, that's it. If she won't join the club, she won't meet Connie, spoiler[her psyche won't be broken by her, and we won't get the dark Ayano we've been promised.] And that cannot happen in under any circumstances, otherwise the anime would end shortly. But the way it's written doesn't make sense for me, neither rationally nor emotionally.

I hope I'm making sense at least.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Yep, you're making sense. When a character transparently behaves because the plot demands, the show loses verismilitude, because it becomes obvious that the character is just a puppet of the writer, not a "real person." I think we largely mean the same thing!
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:36 am Reply with quote
tfwnoymir wrote:
@NeverConvex For sure. It doesn't feel like to me Ayano is a person I could meet in real life: her motivation for joining the club feels incredibly weak, especially considering her traumas. But plot must happen for the plot's sake or else we won't get our crazy matches. But there's not enough of that either, at least not yet. Nagisa feels more believable, and after watching the episodes, I feel like she's too good of a character for this show.

It's really developing in a weird way, Nagisa was the focus in the first few episodes and its seemed like the story would focus on her relationship with the sports. But then her arc is quickly resolved in less than half an episodes and instead the show just switch over to a bunch of completely unrealistic character, each one crazier than the last and now the plot feel unhinged from reality.

Were the view number for the first few episodes abysmally low and the production company decided they had to completely change the show? Or did the show start out far from the manga and is slowly getting closer to it?

But yeah, I feel like the show I started watching is already dead and replace by a bit of a farce.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:00 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Were the view number for the first few episodes abysmally low and the production company decided they had to completely change the show? Or did the show start out far from the manga and is slowly getting closer to it?

From what I’ve heard, the beginning of the manga was more comedic and moved towards being intense. Given the centrality to the story of some of the characters and plot points that some have criticized, the show would have had to have gone far afield from the manga for those things not to come from the source. Plus they couldn’t have made such changes so soon, especially with the production looking as it does, as 4 and 5 would have been either done or well underway by the time it premiered.

As for view numbers, I don’t think that’s the case. A survey of one of Japan’s streaming services put it at 7th among the 35 series that premiered on the service, behind Cells at Work, Demon Lord, Overlord III, AoT 3, MHA 3, and Asobi Asobase (the article was on CR’s news page, I can put in the link if needed, but not until later as I’m doing this on my phone at work). I take any individual poll, especially online, with a grain of salt, but it would seem to at least point in that direction.

Speaking of Demon Lord, the spike in rankings (and ratings) has piqued my interest a bit, but I’m still concerned about the...slave harem aspects. To anyone who has seen it, is this a situation where the more unsavory elements fall out of focus, or are they still there, but the other aspects of the show have improved or at least become more interesting?
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:10 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

Speaking of Demon Lord, the spike in rankings (and ratings) has piqued my interest a bit, but I’m still concerned about the...slave harem aspects. To anyone who has seen it, is this a situation where the more unsavory elements fall out of focus, or are they still there, but the other aspects of the show have improved or at least become more interesting?

Basically after the 2 main girls become the slaves of MC by accident, the slavery aspect is almost not mentioned expect by one or two side characters. You tend to forget that they are slaves.
Is like: They get together because of the slave summing accident and the story start from that. That accident was only a plot device to put them together.
If people would come to this hoping for a slave harem kind of story, they will be very disappointed.

If you like isekai with comedy, some action, some romance and with fan-service, them i think you will like this anime. The plot is pretty solid, have a good world construction, some great battles and very likeable characters. Also the best cat-girl (OK, she is a Pantherian) of recent anime.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:03 am Reply with quote
The shows I've been interested in have showed up as low on the ratings...why is it shows I'm looking for don't end up on high ratings?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:13 am Reply with quote
@Sailor Sedna

That simply means your taste in anime is different from the general run of fans who participate in these rankings. There is nothing wrong in being different. Simply enjoy what you like and don't worry if others like other things.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:50 am Reply with quote
Yeah, you're right. Then again it's only the first few episodes, ratings can change big time, either get better or worse over time...
Nayrael

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:49 am Reply with quote
Angels of Death should by no means be at the bottom. It's by no means a Masterpiece, but it's a surprisingly good and fun show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2