• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more
You are welcome to look at the talkback but please consider that this article is over 16 years old before posting.

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime, Manga Essayist Fred Patten Passes Away at 77

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Mr. SickVisionz wrote:
It must have been a crazy feeling to have been a fan when anime in America literally didn't exist to seeing it now where there's hundreds of conventions a year, football players doing anime touchdown celebrations, pop starts talking about anime, it's parodied in SNL sketches, etc.

Buddy, you don't even know the half of it. Too bad the influence of anime in America by people like Patten is practically lost on today's generation who look at everything post mid-2000s as being relevant.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:51 pm Reply with quote
This is a really big loss for the anime & manga buff community here in the U.S. Fred contributed so much to that early fandom of the 70s and 80s, it's difficult to say to what extent the fandom would have been built at the time it was without him. Discovered manga in 1970 and began importing it for his book store, helped start C/FO later that decade, joined Carl Macek and Jerry Beck at Streamline as its first employee and was the sole employee remaining when Carl shut it down in 2002, he saw Streamline through to the bitter, obscure end.

I'm glad he wrote all of those articles and such that people who want to know what he contributed can read about it. He was one of the few who literally saw the fandom start (helped start it himself!) from nothing and become what it is today. R.I.P.

And yeah this is turning out to be a bad season for fandom deaths. Stan Lee, John Rogers, Fred, etc... R.I.P. to them all. :(
Cabron

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:03 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I was very sad to hear his passing. I've been reading his articles on Cartoon Research, his articles has given me better insight on anime and the industry in Japan. RIP Fred Patten, you helped the anime fandom in the US since it's infancy, look how anime fandom in the US has grown. May your legacy live on.
Thank you, was going to post this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2