• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Fairy Gone Worth Watching?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:

Even moreso if Wiseman's Grandchild had the animation budget.
Personally I like the animation in Wiseman's Grandchild more if only because it doesn't have the awkward janky CGI.
nargun

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:45 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Blackiris_ wrote:
P.A.Works are always at their best when they pursue mundane themes (Hanasaku Iroha, Shirobako and Sakura Quest being their best works imo).

I thought they did a good job with Uchouten Kazoku about tanuki and tengu.

The actual themes -- tradition and responsibility, inherited obligation vs personal choice, &c -- in Uchouten Kazoku are pretty mundane: the same narrative beats could be pretty straightforwardly told with the magic stripped off. We don't know for sure what Fairy Gone is going to be about[1], but it's probably going to be something about people's responses to getting their families murdered, &c: stuff that most people don't experience.

[1] This is usually pretty bad, after four eps: thematic content is pretty important to a story so it should usually be front-and-centre, and you should have some vague idea at least after a significant fraction of almost any show's runtime. Compare-and-contrast with... ooh, Rage of Bahamut, which in the course of basically a single episode-long fight scene managed to carefully articulate that people were getting accused of and facing the consequences for wrong acts that weren't the wrong acts they'd actually done.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:06 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
zenbud wrote:
"

It's cute that this guy thinks that an anime can be made in one year like that based on reception from an anime of 2018. This anime is obviously in the making for years with planning, pre-production and production per se.

Given how bad some of the production and writing is it should've spent more time being planned out.

If they had had the time for foresight, I would've preferred if they just made more Sirius the Jaegar. I liked that show a whole lot more than this one! Too bad...
(And P.A. Works can do fantastical, they did a decent job with Kurumukuro)
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Sirius was lacking in substance too but at least the characters had some chemistry between them to make it entertaining.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
I see the lukewarm reception you guys are giving this show. Unfortunately for me, the English dub for this show just happens to be one of this season's best. Caitlin Glass and her voice cast are doing great work on this show, so even if the show isn't great (I think it's alright so far, and I like the characters, especially Marlya), I'm gonna wanna stick with it.

Just 22 more episodes for me to go! nervous laughter

Agreed, the dub has been fantastic so far.
I like a bunch of the characters too, especially her, even if the story has been a little messy and hasn't really dug into anything so far.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
So far I think Fairy Gone is just ok but it's not doing anything special or with substance but it's a competent enough show that I don't mind watching it when there's not many other shows I'm watching this season. I feel like Magus Bride spoiled me with it's detailed fantasy world building.

Same here, I still like it and hope that it gets more detailed as it goes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2