• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Rising of The Shield Hero Anime Gets 2 More Seasons

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll’s investment in this show seems to have paid off in spades, despite any negative press they may have received.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Nice, now to hope that more of the combat is more dynamic than 'stand and shoot beams' this time around.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
Usually when the last episode of a season bears the same name as the series it's pretty much guaranteed that another season would never see the light of day. Glad to see that it is not the case this time.

That's usually the assumption I make as well, but using it as the title for the last episode of S1 works as a nice segue to S2 after spoiler[essentially clearing his name in a very public way, and being named lord of Raphtalia's hometown.]

Personally, I found the S1 middling at best, mostly due to how insufferable I found a lot of the characters (minus Raphtalia and Melty). Hopefully the other 3 heroes become less incompetent and less antagonistic, because there's only so many times I can roll my eyes at them being incompetent/ignorant and Naofumi having to bail them out. Every. Damn. Time. It's getting old. I'm more interested in the world building at the end of S1, so hopefully they focus more on that angle in the coming seasons.
Reinheit Hezen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:37 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
How often does a show get two seasons announced at once? Iirc this happened with Overlord.

Probably is just 1 season of 20-26 chapters divided in 2 like SnK or Sao Alicization. This time Crunchyroll is part of the proyect, saying that there will be 2 sequels probably is a marketing strategy, it's not a lie but it's not a complete true because first season had 25 episodes and fans will think both sequels will have same amount of chapters either.
Let's hope it's not like this, but tbh Tate no Yuusha is not enough popular in Japan to have 2 sequels announced at the same time, a second season would be possible, but without Crunchyroll's money it wouldn't be possible, this anime became an occidental-aiming fans proyect.
Netflix should learn one or two things from Crunchyroll about anime.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Crunchyroll’s investment in this show seems to have paid off in spades, despite any negative press they may have received.

Negative outrage by feminists and blue checkmarks are inconsequential to a show's profitability anyway. It's the same deal with Goblin Slayer, feminists and blue checkmarks got triggered after the first episode yet it was unilaterally Crunchyroll's most watched show in the entire US during the Fall 2018 season (in which CR still has the majority of the airing anime).
shabu shabu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Reinheit Hezen wrote:
Let's hope it's not like this, but tbh Tate no Yuusha is not enough popular in Japan to have 2 sequels announced at the same time, a second season would be possible, but without Crunchyroll's money it wouldn't be possible, this anime became an occidental-aiming fans proyect.

I remember seeing Tate no Yuusha at the top of some popularity polls and Raftalia being very popular when the show was airing here.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Haven't watched the first season yet, but I'm close to up-to-date on the english novel releases, and I'm happy about this news.

I do plan on watching the first season of the anime soon, and knowing more will come will motivate me more to watch it. Laughing

And, like some have discussed, whether this announcement is 2 more seasons akin to the first...or just 2 more cours, I'll be happy either way.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Mediocre show, but that's actually a compliment for the isekai genre these days. Many much worse shows could've received extra seasons, I s'pose, heh.

And, really, it was a decent popcorn watch in its last 12 episodes or so? The first half awkwardly mishandled a number of important social issues, and it has struggled to make its protagonist at all likable, but by the second half those issues had for the most part receded to the background, leaving the awful character writing as the show's primary problem. It was tolerably animated with a fresh isekai-world mechanic, though, which felt like enough to make it fun schlock to me.
Hatsu95

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
what makes this better than other isekai titles?(considering all the universal hate that genre seems too get)

absolutely nothing ! it is as generic as you can get and the writing is so bad it's almost comical.
AA751

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Hatsu95 wrote:
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
what makes this better than other isekai titles?(considering all the universal hate that genre seems too get)

absolutely nothing ! it is as generic as you can get and the writing is so bad it's almost comical.

Its the Streisand effect. If people hadn't have vocally hated the series so much it would have sunk into mediocrity like most isekai.

Instead we get incels, or people who like to be contrary determined to love the show no matter what and score it high, to shove it to those ebil killjoy feminists.

It's funny and pretty predictable.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I think that's part of it, AA751, but I think it is at least equally important that:

[A] it is an isekai entry, and popular anime audiences seem to give isekai a +50 absolute buff regardless of its literary quality

[B] while it comes nowhere close to the lofty standard set by Re;Zero, it also is clearly a cut above the fat-tail dregs of the genre, like Smartphone Isekai and Ragnarok Isekai

Combine A+B with a bit of controversy and it seems like you're in for popular success.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:23 pm Reply with quote
AA751 wrote:
Hatsu95 wrote:
Siegfriedl88 wrote:

Its the Streisand effect. If people hadn't have vocally hated the series so much it would have sunk into mediocrity like most isekai.

Instead we get incels, or people who like to be contrary determined to love the show no matter what and score it high, to shove it to those ebil killjoy feminists.

It's funny and pretty predictable.

Or you know people legit love the series, no it couldn't possibly be that! Shield Hero was already a very popular web novel/light novel series long before the anime came out and it already had an existing fanbase and I can assure you we're not god damn Incels or contrarians. I really don't understand why people like you have to pop up and shit on people for liking something.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:42 pm Reply with quote
The controversy helped this series, particularly after the announcement/troll job that was High Guardian Spice, an announcement that only served to make Shield Hero more popular, because the reviewers browbeating Shield Hero while talking about the show that isn’t coming out any time soon only served to make people more interested in seeing Shield Hero, causing its popularity to exceed any initial estimate.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I read all of the ANN reviews on Shield Hero, and don't remember any of them mentioning High Guardian Spice..
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:58 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I read all of the ANN reviews on Shield Hero, and don't remember any of them mentioning High Guardian Spice..

I was referring to Twitter. The same people defending Spice were attacking Shield Hero.

Here’s the thing. If people were criticizing storytelling, animation, characters, acting, etc, that would be one thing. But they attacked the show’s morality, that it was “problematic”, and the people who liked it were bad people. That doesn’t work. Ever. And the controversy for better or for worse widened the audience a lot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5