• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Busty Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! Blood Donation Drive Poster Sparks Online Debate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob49152

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:22 pm Reply with quote
They should have used the platelets looking all cute and pleading for donations.

But frankly in this day and age everyone gets offended by something. That offends me!!
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Rob49152 wrote:
They should have used the platelets looking all cute and pleading for donations.

I think they already have. Cells at Work has been a consistent partner.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:34 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
I'm not so fussed about the boobs, but I'm not exactly sure why they used that character (I guess she's popular?), but more than that why that image? Couldn't they have commissioned something more relevant? She's just standing there in her waitress outfit holding a parfait. Doesn't really scream "blood donation" to me. I don't mind the concept of teasing people, after all, teasing girls is very In right now. So I guess I can understand the character... But it feels lazy.

It's the cover illustration to the current volume of the manga which is very popular. I imagine that particular image is plastered all over the place.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:12 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
I do agree with the first part of that statement, but not the second. While there is obviously a lot of adult and "ecchi" manga out there, the majority is not sexual, and I'd say that "large breasts" are pretty standard for adult female characters in general. I suppose this comes down to one's exact definition of "large".

Okay, but...you don't see a lot of women with the size that Uzaki-chan has here which is what is fueling this controversy.
Quote:
This doesn't seem like a case of using "sex to sell" if you ask me. This is just a popular manga--and a pretty "clean" one at that--being used to promote a good cause.

I can give you the benefit of the doubt on that one but I still can't shake the feeling that there are those who are giving to the cause solely for the unintentional boobage.
Chrono1000 wrote:
Well if you think that boobs are inherently sexual than that is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I don't. I'm pointing out the elephant in the room here.
Nick4x wrote:
Can I just take a second to point out the irony that one of your first picks to replace a character you perceive as having a body that is mainly about sex appeal is Goku?

Goku is looked mostly at with sex appeal...?
NiPah wrote:
I’d argue judging someone’s reason to donate blood is way more pathetic then someone donating blood for some anime artwork, even if the artwork has a cute/sexy/manly character on it. Sure it’d be nice if everyone selflessly donated blood to the blood selling companies (at least in the US) out of the goodness of their heart but we know it helps with a little bonus, be it free movie tickets, a goofy “I donated blood” tshirt, or anime tat.

We pretty much are reduced to bribing people to donate blood nowadays. If saving lives requires bribery, I reserve the right to be judgmental.
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Sex Sells.. and this picture is pretty tame so pretty much a nothing burger.

If sex sells and we know it sells, then why are we still getting complaints about sex?
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:31 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
It's the cover illustration to the current volume of the manga which is very popular. I imagine that particular image is plastered all over the place.

Still feels lazy. If it's already plastered everywhere, they should've got something different looking to catch the eye. Otherwise, people would just assume it's advertising that manga volume, rather than advertising blood donation.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:44 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
If sex sells and we know it sells, then why are we still getting complaints about sex?

You will always get complaints, it's human nature. The key is how many people are complaining versus those who are not. The original Tweet about this poster was not very popular and not very well received by Japanese people on Twitter . The existence of a handful of complainers does not disprove that sex does indeed sell and something most people enjoy and is used in a lot of Japanese media.
Ryomanagare

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Even if the ad is targeted more towards men is that a bad thing? Donating blood when you are petite (5-5'2") is not a good idea as it can lead to anemia or loss of consciousness.. In general people in Japan are smaller than here in America and closer to that petite height. A lot less women are going to be viable donors. Advertisements focused on getting males to donate makes more sense.
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:01 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I'm sorry but that's just a pathetic reason to donate blood then. It honestly shouldn't even have to fall to supposed sex appeal just to have donations come in.

As someone with a close family member who would not be alive today were it not for donated blood (quite a bit, over several years), I really don't care what a person's motivation is. Blood saves lives.

If a sexualized advertisement for blood donation (like, actually sexualized, as opposed to the one here) were to inspire twenty people to donate blood, who otherwise wouldn't, and a child with hemophilia or leukemia gets to live another day... you'd be angry with that? Would you go to that kid and tell them it's better they were dead, because someone got butthurt over a poster?

You're offended over a drawing, rather than offended that people are dying. What the hell is wrong with you?
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:03 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Quote:
the existence of large breasts does not equal sexualization

Depends. If we're talking about women who had their breasts grow that large naturally, then yes, it's not sexualization unless the woman chooses to flaunt them in a sexual manner. But, if we're talking about illustrations here, then that's a more difficult argument to make. I mean, I have yet to see a single manga illustrator who specifically chose to draw large-breasted girls for non-sexual purposes to the reader.
Nick4x wrote:
This is good marketing. It's helped increase blood donations and thus save lives.

Could you not get the same results with any other manga characters? What if you had Luffy or Goku promote blood donations? Does the desire to donate blood only work if a large-breasted anime girl implored you to?

Goku HATES needles. He'd never advocate for donating blood.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:
You will always get complaints, it's human nature. The key is how many people are complaining versus those who are not. The original Tweet about this poster was not very popular and not very well received by Japanese people on Twitter . The existence of a handful of complainers does not disprove that sex does indeed sell and something most people enjoy and is used in a lot of Japanese media.

Just because a handful of people complain doesn't necessarily mean that they are wrong. If they can make a logical argument with effective substantiation as to why such promotions shouldn't be, it is the responsibility of the rest of the community to weigh in on such matters, which is also human nature. It's irrelevant what the majority of people enjoy. People can also enjoy things for all the wrong reasons.
Ryomanagare wrote:
Advertisements focused on getting males to donate makes more sense.

The need to donate blood is a foregone conclusion though. If ads like this are needed to get men through the door, perhaps there are deeper issues with the male populace for their lack of donations that we're not aware of. Confused
MidoriUma wrote:
As someone with a close family member who would not be alive today were it not for donated blood (quite a bit, over several years), I really don't care what a person's motivation is. Blood saves lives.

If a sexualized advertisement for blood donation (like, actually sexualized, as opposed to the one here) were to inspire twenty people to donate blood, who otherwise wouldn't, and a child with hemophilia or leukemia gets to live another day... you'd be angry with that? Would you go to that kid and tell them it's better they were dead, because someone got butthurt over a poster?

You're offended over a drawing, rather than offended that people are dying. What the hell is wrong with you?

You're offended that I had to point out that people need selfish motivations to do selfless acts when such acts should be a sign of common sense and human decency?
Richmyster84 wrote:
Goku HATES needles. He'd never advocate for donating blood.

Not in character he wouldn't but it still wouldn't surprise me if Toei and Toriyama went with the advocacy anyway.

Last edited by KabaKabaFruit on Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:35 pm; edited 4 times in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Ryomanagare wrote:
Even if the ad is targeted more towards men is that a bad thing? Donating blood when you are petite (5-5'2") is not a good idea as it can lead to anemia or loss of consciousness.. In general people in Japan are smaller than here in America and closer to that petite height. A lot less women are going to be viable donors. Advertisements focused on getting males to donate makes more sense.

I checked with an RN before replying to this, but there are no limitations to donating blood based on height. Women ARE more likely to have anemia but it is not related to shorter height.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nick4x

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:27 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Nick4x wrote:
Can I just take a second to point out the irony that one of your first picks to replace a character you perceive as having a body that is mainly about sex appeal is Goku?

Goku is looked mostly at with sex appeal...?

Depends on who you ask. Aesthetically, I could easily make the same assumption that Goku is drawn to appeal to women as I could that Uzaki is drawn to appeal to men. That's the problem when you only take physical appearance into account and leave out all other context.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Nick4x wrote:
Depends on who you ask. Aesthetically, I could easily make the same assumption that Goku is drawn to appeal to women as I could that Uzaki is drawn to appeal to men. That's the problem when you only take physical appearance into account and leave out all other context.

Looks alone would've worked for newbies getting into manga or anime for the first time about a decade ago but now it's gotten to the point where content of character is front and center.

So I'm gonna be fair here.

I'm going to go with everyone else's logical arguments that take the context of the blood donation based on Uzaki's general popularity on the content of her character being used to give a new generation of blood donors a "heads up" on the need for donation as regular patrons may be unaware of the need.

While I hope this will translate to a more common sense perogative towards blood donation, I'll leave it at that.

Now let's all have cake. Smile
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:55 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

You're offended that I had to point out that people need selfish motivations to do selfless acts when such acts should be a sign of common sense and human decency?

Not offended, just repulsed. I heard there were people like you in the world, but I don't think it ever really set in. I'm somewhat aghast that there are humans who put political correctness ahead of their fellow human's lives; to actually encounter one (albeit online) is oddly surreal. If anything, I feel sorry for you.

To be clear, I'd happily strip naked if it means my little cousin gets a fighting chance at living to adulthood. I value life over prudishness.
Nick4x

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:55 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Now let's all have cake. Smile

I'll do you one better. Let's all go give some blood Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4