• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Digimon Adventure:' Reboot Anime's English-Subtitled Trailer Reveals April 5 Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qulex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:42 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I guess I'm the only one who's looking forward to it and thinks it looks good?

I am looking to it too, but on the other side, the fact that a month before premiere, there's still so little info, including cast, seems suspicious for me, to be honest.

Somer-_- wrote:
Is the cast list here right? My French isn't perfect but the source might be talking out of their ass and I don't see an official one.

Seems fishy to me, especially since most of these people are (former or current) Pokémon cast, And although Yuuji Ueda did have some small roles in the original Adventure, neither of the rest did. That may not necessarily mean anything, but it still seems suspicious. And to be honest, the moment I'll hear Rika Matsumoto in Digimon, I'll go and see shrink, to make sure I am not insane Laughing

There've been staff interviews. Pretty much the same marketing as Kitaro's, nothing suspicious to me. And I assume they planned to reveal more at AnimeJapan, but that got cancelled.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:17 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
As long as Dragon Ball Super never comes back, this is fine with me.

Ummmmmm you do know that it is coming back at some point though right?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:

It's not like the younger audience will care who these kids are & the older audience might just be fed up with the Adventure cast being used so much especially since Kizuna is supposed to function as a grand finale or something along those lines.

Would not surprise me 1 bit if this winds up bombing.
Tri was a huge success for Toei in Japan and Kizuna opened to number six in Japanese theaters. It's only a small vocal minority on the Internet that keeps complaining about too much Adventure whenever something new to it gets announced but Japan loves Adventure and that's why we're getting more. Almost all the other AU Digimon shows ended up doing poorly in Japan. And I'm not sure why some fans think this will be alienating to younger kids since this reboot doesn't require any familiarity with the original show.
Qulex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:32 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
As long as Dragon Ball Super never comes back, this is fine with me.

Ummmmmm you do know that it is coming back at some point though right?

At some point? Sure. But not anytime soon since DBS' staff is on this, new World Trigger season and Dragon Quest remake. The last title will be long as heck on top of that.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:

It's not like the younger audience will care who these kids are & the older audience might just be fed up with the Adventure cast being used so much especially since Kizuna is supposed to function as a grand finale or something along those lines.

Would not surprise me 1 bit if this winds up bombing.
Tri was a huge success for Toei in Japan and Kizuna opened to number six in Japanese theaters. It's only a small vocal minority on the Internet that keeps complaining about too much Adventure whenever something new to it gets announced but Japan loves Adventure and that's why we're getting more. Almost all the other AU Digimon shows ended up doing poorly in Japan. And I'm not sure why some fans think this will be alienating to younger kids since this reboot doesn't require any familiarity with the original show.

I’m not saying it’s alinating to younger viewers, just that it won’t do anything for them. It will live or die by its own merits. Granted if every other show has done poorly then that really says something about this franchise that they have to keep going back to the original cast to have actual success.
peno

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Xross Wars (Fusion) was significant success in Japan, to the point that they came with second series, which was not originally planned. At least that's what I've heard. It was in west where it failed, which, I believe, is a big disappointment for Toei. And AFAIK, the same could be told for AppMon. While it was not as successful in Japan as Xross Wars, it was not a total flop there either, but it once again failed in west. Tri, on the other hand, was success in west and I believe that is why we are getting new Adventure reboot, because Toei believe it will be success in west again and may also possibly open door to new Digimon projects in west, unrelated to Adventure. But that's just my speculation, however, based on facts so far.
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:03 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty awesome, except for us dub fans, if it does come back we won't be getting that rocking music we was used to
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:33 am Reply with quote
I take it the kids at summer camp being isekai'd is out the window. It looks like they're in the real world and just fighting Digimon in cyberspace from this trailer. Although the poster does show what I assume to be File Island or Server Continent, so they might get there eventually.
peno

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:46 am Reply with quote
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:
This is pretty awesome, except for us dub fans, if it does come back we won't be getting that rocking music we was used to

You aren't serious, are you? That kind of stuff better stay where it belongs, in late 1990s and early 2000s anime dubs. Except for Konami's Yu-Gi-Oh dubs and TPCI's Pokémon dubs, this kind of stupid music replacement in anime died years ago and for a good reason, it was totally nonsensical.
Though it seems that Japanese Digimon Adventure music fans will face the same fate anyway, since the music will, most likely, be totally new, considering from the fact they hired totally new (for Digimon, I mean) music composer and the opening and ending are new too (though that part is understandable at lest for opening, considering Kouji Wada is no longer here and remake of Butter-Fly with new singer may be even worse move that totally new song). All I hope for is that they will not follow the current trend of long anime series changing opening songs every 10-15 episodes and instead will follow the lead of the original, which only had one opening and two endings during its course. Be honest, part of the reason Butter-Fly became so iconic is the fact it was here for the whole 54 episodes of Adventure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2